a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick question; concerning running

alvo

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
I was planning to head out to France in August but recently decided to go a lot sooner.

Regarding my strength, I can do 100 pushups and 20pullups with ease. I am about 6'2 and lean-built. I am not too worried about my strength as long as I stay consistent I can only get better.

My only concern is my running capability, my chardio is shit although I am practicing everyday still - My sides cramp up fast and I have a hard time keeping up with me breathing.

Is there a possibility that the Legion would deny me just because of my chardio-state? Will they keep in mind that perhaps during Basic Training that I will naturally get better?

Of course logically I am doing my best NOW to get better however I am far too eager to wait any longer - no more BS - I want to head to Marseilles now.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Quick question, quick answer.

I've never done legion selection and my name is not in green, however I was a PTI in my time.

In the words of Bruce Lee "running is the king of all exercises". They will make you do a running test on selection, which will probably be the most significant of the phys tests you do. The better you do on this test, the stronger position you put yourself in. Therefore I would put the miles in, get good at running and then you will be able to give a good account of yourself at Aubagne.

Further, don't be one of those people who needs "to get better" during training. You will have enough on your plate. If you are fit and up there from day one your life will be a lot easier.

Here Endeth my two penneth :)

Bon chance.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Take 3 months for your running training, get used to running in army you will have run all day long. And learn correct breathing techniques it makes a lot of difference. Here is a pranayama exercise for brething http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtAqiVJn9BA, when I used it first time I wasn't tired after running my 8 km. If your cardio is not good you may get exercise depression, that means you wont feel like doing anything and always feel lazy. And it doesn't stop until body returns to previous state.

alvo

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Thank you for your advice gentlemen.

Dante: You're quote on Bruce Lee couldn't ring any more truth. And you're absolutely right in saying; "don't be one of those people who needs "to get better" during training" - This is exactly what I don't want. I want to be ready when I am there - yet a part of me is saying "Just go already"... this is the conflict in which I need to grab hold-of. Also I already speak French fluently so I don't have many reasons for not-going yet.

Hitsuji ; I am giving myself a little less than 2 months to be ready. I am planning to take off the beginning of June, my bday is the 6th so if all goes well I may be spending it there, I don't really have a desire to celebrate especially with only FFL on my mind. Thanks for the link regarding breathing I am going to look into that.

Bizaum

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Hey mate, since you dont have much time to get better at running, do interval running: slow jog to warm up, nearly a fast walking pace, then sprint like the cops are behind you (if you never ran from the police imagine theres a mob of arabs behind you and they want your AS S, in both senses!), then slow jog again, then sprint, get the idea? I've found it improves your cardio a lot more than just jogging. I live near a football field so I warm up jogging there, then sprint one of the longer sides of the field and jog the around the others. In the days you are resting take your bike and go for a ride, its good to get the blood flowing in your legs as it takes away all that acid that acumulates during heavy exercise, speeds up your recovery and also work your cardio a bit more. Good luck!

alvo

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Hey mate, since you dont have much time to get better at running, do interval running: slow jog to warm up, nearly a fast walking pace, then sprint like the cops are behind you (if you never ran from the police imagine theres a mob of arabs behind you and they want your AS S, in both senses!), then slow jog again, then sprint, get the idea? I've found it improves your cardio a lot more than just jogging. I live near a football field so I warm up jogging there, then sprint one of the longer sides of the field and jog the around the others. In the days you are resting take your bike and go for a ride, its good to get the blood flowing in your legs as it takes away all that acid that acumulates during heavy exercise, speeds up your recovery and also work your cardio a bit more. Good luck!

Sounds like good advice Bizaum thank you, I don't want to over-exhaust myself so your system I'll definitely take up.

So far I am just jogging/running for as long as I can, till I tire out and I get back to walking (properly - strong strides) - then when ready jog/run again, - I repeat this cycle - in total I'm out for about 45 mins.

yeah, I know - I need to improve alot - see what I'm saying...

I'm going to start measuring distance. For a newb like myself - whats a good target for me to reach? As in distance - but also in running -time.

alvo

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
What's wierd is that I can walk for 5, 6 hours fairly well and proper walks - I am not dragging myself. I know marching/walking is a huge in the Legion if not one of the most important - in terms of that I am not too worried, only my running. Which seems to be an issue only because I never really did that growing up plus I smoke cigs.

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
What's wierd is that I can walk for 5, 6 hours fairly well and proper walks - I am not dragging myself. I know marching/walking is a huge in the Legion if not one of the most important - in terms of that I am not too worried, only my running. Which seems to be an issue only because I never really did that growing up plus I smoke cigs.

I think that's normal - I will find running past level 10 on the bleep test harder than the Kepi Blanc - how do I know? Because I yomped 30kg for 60k up and down some hills last week in one day... it was really boring but not that hard - where as the week before I ran a level 9 on the bleep test and almost blew a blood vessel - lol

5ish months ago I was carrying around about 20kg of extra fat on my body - lol - so I think I am naturally conditioned to it :D - it was the only positive thing being fat gave to me

RadioTex

Crusty Caporal
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I was over 35 years old when I joined--hadn't exercised, much less run, in over 13 years. I "got ready" by buying a plane ticket. Arrived at Aubagne on 20 Dec.---3 weeks to the day later, I was on my way to Lapasset. You guys are spending way too much time mulling over all the minutia. Just friggin go--

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
RadioTex is 100% correct and likewise I am amused at all the emphasis on physique, running, upper body strength and stamina.
Simply if you are reasonably fit, go for it.
When I joined in 1956 instructors and PTIs' ran me ragged. They soon got me up to the required standards. Eventually, I had the honour to be offered a 'Para' commission, by a certain Capt. Farrar Hockley, wearing a maroon beret,with Gloster cap badge , shoulder flashes, para brevet and pegasus symbol.
However I obtained the last place to serve with the the Corps after nearly 3 years as a Mne. I only just made the minimum height requirement of 5'6" eventually reaching the dizzy height of 5'7". A veritable giant ! I also boxed as a Lt/Weight and Lt/Welter.
It is all mind over matter- guts and determination should see you thro'.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Sir Radio Tex and Chas you forget that your way of growing up and living is much different than ours, trough school years most of the people I know watched tv for 7-8 h a day after school. That kind of living makes your body uncapable to cope with hard work or training. Thats modern society, people that were born in early 80s grew up outside either playing some sport or working, that makes a big difference. My cousin from America and his girlfriend got tired after walking some 200 meters, I was shocked. Do you think he could complete police officer training with that kind of condition, not to talk about legion :D

As for running, in army we were all surprised that even if we ran 8 km a day we were dying after 2-3 km in army. The problem in army is you dont run with your own pace, you run like the guy in front of you, then you ou realise he is too slow and you sprint past him than you have to run with higher pace again than slower etc you are not in you comfort zone.
Good training I found some where is you run 3 minutes (on a scale from 1 being fast walk, to 10 sprinting), with level 3 than you change for 3 minutes on scale 7, than after that, 4 minutes scale 5. Change your pace and don't just try to run longer distance you will train that in legion, what you should be trying to do is learning to run all the time so that it becomes second nature. Some people have natural predisposition for running, 2-3 guys in army were drunk or high on weed every night and in the morning they could outrun most of us. But they couldn't do push ups or sit ups as good as others ...

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I was over 35 years old when I joined--hadn't exercised, much less run, in over 13 years. I "got ready" by buying a plane ticket. Arrived at Aubagne on 20 Dec.---3 weeks to the day later, I was on my way to Lapasset. You guys are spending way too much time mulling over all the minutia. Just friggin go--

NO disrespect of course... but when did you join? As you will know it is common knowledge that the FFL used to be a MUCH larger machine - they also used to take more or less anyone that volunteered (which I believe was less than volunteer now) and put you straight into training - now there is selection, selection, and more selection... before you get anywhere near any training...

If you train and used 'modern' resources to help increase your chances of getting in you are told: 'you are thinking about it too much'
If you don't train and 'just go' and fail and come onto a forum like this and say you failed in some physical aspect you are told: 'you did not do enough research'...
RadioTex is 100% correct and likewise I am amused at all the emphasis on physique, running, upper body strength and stamina.
Simply if you are reasonably fit, go for it.
When I joined in 1956 instructors and PTIs' ran me ragged. They soon got me up to the required standards. Eventually, I had the honour to be offered a 'Para' commission, by a certain Capt. Farrar Hockley, wearing a maroon beret,with Gloster cap badge , shoulder flashes, para brevet and pegasus symbol.
However I obtained the last place to serve with the the Corps after nearly 3 years as a Mne. I only just made the minimum height requirement of 5'6" eventually reaching the dizzy height of 5'7". A veritable giant ! I also boxed as a Lt/Weight and Lt/Welter.
It is all mind over matter- guts and determination should see you thro'.

Reasonably fit won't get you 2800 metres on the Cooper Test... (not that they seem to use this anymore) but even by the Coopers Testing standards a 2800 metre plus is considered 'EXCELLENT' fitness while the 'Average' is considered to be 2400 metres... (this is in the mid twenties category the other age groups are different)
But I agree most 'averagely' fit people should be able to muster a level 7 on the Bleep Test. However we are not trying to meet minimums are we - we are trying to be the best we can be and we are lucky enough to live in the 21st century and have access to all these modern research tools at our disposal... so in my opinion it would be pretty stupid not to use them

Modern warfare is all about looking back at was has been done and looking at ways to replicate and advance on what is already known (with lots of new technology of course)... hmmmmm.... sounds familiar...
Sir Radio Tex and Chas you forget that your way of growing up and living is much different than ours, trough school years most of the people I know watched tv for 7-8 h a day after school. That kind of living makes your body uncapable to cope with hard work or training. Thats modern society, people that were born in early 80s grew up outside either playing some sport or working, that makes a big difference. My cousin from America and his girlfriend got tired after walking some 200 meters, I was shocked. Do you think he could complete police officer training with that kind of condition, not to talk about legion :D

As for running, in army we were all surprised that even if we ran 8 km a day we were dying after 2-3 km in army. The problem in army is you dont run with your own pace, you run like the guy in front of you, then you ou realise he is too slow and you sprint past him than you have to run with higher pace again than slower etc you are not in you comfort zone.
Good training I found some where is you run 3 minutes (on a scale from 1 being fast walk, to 10 sprinting), with level 3 than you change for 3 minutes on scale 7, than after that, 4 minutes scale 5. Change your pace and don't just try to run longer distance you will train that in legion, what you should be trying to do is learning to run all the time so that it becomes second nature. Some people have natural predisposition for running, 2-3 guys in army were drunk or high on weed every night and in the morning they could outrun most of us. But they couldn't do push ups or sit ups as good as others ...

I agree with 'some' of what you are saying... but don't think that ALL countries youth get it like this... (I don't think 35 is youth either is it...) don't think all countries 'youth' AND 'middle-aged' get it like this...

alvo

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
If you train and used 'modern' resources to help increase your chances of getting in you are told: 'you are thinking about it too much'
If you don't train and 'just go' and fail and come onto a forum like this and say you failed in some physical aspect you are told: 'you did not do enough research'...

That's exactly it. I want to go now but at the same time I don't want to try to exceed my own reach so I gave myself a deadline to get better and to excel in my reach.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
That's exactly it. I want to go now but at the same time I don't want to try to exceed my own reach so I gave myself a deadline to get better and to excel in my reach.

I'll tell you how I plan to prepare after taking eagle eyes advice and serving the army. I saw my weakness and I am glad I didn't go than to the Legion. The best way to train for army is to be a member of a sports club, whatever with good cardio to make you stronger, football, kickboxing, boxing, basketball etc it will give you whole body training, you won't be just running in the army I found crawling to be much harder. Try to crawly 40 m in less than 1 m and 30 seconds ( I think that's regular NATO standard) with belly on the ground. If you crawl on all 4 its less than 50 seconds, and on a hip I thing its 2 minutes or so, but have in mind you don't have uniform, mask, west, rifle etc on you.

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'll tell you how I plan to prepare after taking eagle eyes advice and serving the army. I saw my weakness and I am glad I didn't go than to the Legion. The best way to train for army is to be a member of a sports club, whatever with good cardio to make you stronger, football, kickboxing, boxing, basketball etc it will give you whole body training, you won't be just running in the army I found crawling to be much harder. Try to crawly 40 m in less than 1 m and 30 seconds ( I think that's regular NATO standard) with belly on the ground. If you crawl on all 4 its less than 50 seconds, and on a hip I thing its 2 minutes or so, but have in mind you don't have uniform, mask, west, rifle etc on you.

If running every day (Harriers, Sprinting, Marathon in 'Sport' name) and training intensely to join the FFL isn't sport then...... holy shit!

That crawling is a pretty good work out though - I have been crawling every day this week as I ****ed myself last week doing HITT 200 metres sprints last week - my shin splints are so painful from that that I can't run through the pain anymore (and probably shoudn't) my fiance comes along for all my runs because I just run circles around my local park (so no risk of her holding me back as I just lap her ;) ) so all this week while she runs I crawl around on all fours (with knee pads though so not that tough lol) - I have had A LOT of sideways glances from 'passes by' and a couple of arse sniffs from dogs but you are right in saying it is hard

alvo

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Crawling is a good work out I imagine it does wonders for the core.

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Crawling is a good work out I imagine it does wonders for the core.

So far I have found it is a great form of HIIT (all depends on how quickly you crawl) - I do 200 metres fast and then 200 metres slow twice a day at the moment (I was going to use my stationary bike but I currently live in an empty house as I have sold all my stuff in preparation for joining the Legion - all I have is a computer, a fridge, and some kit... not even a bed, no TV, nothing! - I hand wash all my gear in the bath now when I have a shower... :D) So far from the crawling I just have a sore back lol - but everything else is ok so far

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
It is sport but if you train a sport like judo or football you will be trained by a trainer and will have people to compare to. Also you will train other muscle groups you might overlook. Like back muscles. If you can crawl 200m you condition must be excellent ! As I said NATO standard is 40m with time limit. Most people could barely do it within time limit. Also have you tried digging ? In army you are expected to dig a foxhole with small shovel while on your knees (we were allowed to stand because it was -20 :D), also I saw in movies you have to dig while lying if you are under fire training. While I never used shovel for real before army I became quite good in digging and I am proud of it :)

I also developed my own training method for core muscles inspired by crawling, you tighten all your core muscles and then move you upper body as if you are crawling or swiming, it burns like crazy.
And don't run if you have shin splints or fasciitis, I got fasciitis and went 10 days later in the army and because of that therapy didn't work and year and a half later I still have it. Stretch your muscles and tendons slowly to minimise injury probability.

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It is sport but if you train a sport like judo or football you will be trained by a trainer and will have people to compare to. Also you will train other muscle groups you might overlook. Like back muscles. If you can crawl 200m you condition must be excellent ! As I said NATO standard is 40m with time limit. Most people could barely do it within time limit. Also have you tried digging ? In army you are expected to dig a foxhole with small shovel while on your knees (we were allowed to stand because it was -20 :D), also I saw in movies you have to dig while lying if you are under fire training. While I never used shovel for real before army I became quite good in digging and I am proud of it :)

I spent years studying Karate under Okinawa Goju Ryu Karate-do - but I would never trade in my training regime that I do now for that to train for the Legion... infact I would never study martial arts again... the first tournament I went on everyone just reverted to flailing arms and legs (even the black belts) and the first person that attacked me while doing security some 10 years later just got a firm kick in the nuts and a punch in the throat, (something you are not allowed to do in Karate Tournaments [well at least not the ones I was involved with...]), it was all over within seconds and I didn't even get hurt just left me a bit paranoid for the next few days....

Stoengs Training Regime demands training alone - I stick to this concept as if you need others to push yourself I think you are a bit weak personally

I can crawl 800 metres - but my condition is far from excellent - I just think some people excel better at other things than others depending on what they have and haven't done. I founded an Audio/Visual / Electrical / Telecommunications company (that was absorbed by a larger company early last year) so I spent the earlier few years of it's creation crawling around on my hands and knees and digging trenches all day so I am ok at that sort of thing - lifted lots of heavy shit like putting tvs on walls and lifting big speakers in and out of vehicles (and fridges, washing machines, you name it) and yomped equipment and tools around all day but I NEVER ran so my running (after almost 6 months of training) is only just starting to get up there - I can only just now manage level 9 on the bleep test - although my yomping and pull ups are more than adequate my running still has a ways to go before I am happy with it....

Hey Hitsujji we should probably move this convo to PM as we have kind of hijacked this thread and are now filling the new activity stream with our chit chat ;)