[Question] Questions for those who did not get through selection

Hi everyone, I have looked through the forum and there are a few mentions of the big reasons for being turned away, but I am looking for a little more detail.

For those of you that have been through selection and did not make the cut, what were some things you could have changed to make it go differently? I know a lot of the hopefuls that do not make it though are shown the door because of medical reasons, physical readiness and saying the wrong things during the interviews. Everyone who is serious about getting in is obviously in good shape physically and as prepared as they can be for the psychotechnical tests, motivation interviews, etc. but what are some things that turn people away that the majority of wannabe's do not anticipate?

Before anyone says it, yes, the only way to get these answers is to knock on the gates myself, but I have several months left to prepare so I figure it is better to be ready for every aspect of selection rather than just flying there with a bag full of hope.

Any additional insight is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Nickfury has talked about his experience in selection many times. He figures the selection committee cut him for having too many options back home.

https://cervens.net/legionbbs123/sh...-in-Aubagne-December-2005-(Part-1)&highlight=

That’s his experience. It was a while ago (2005), but I doubt things have changed that much.
Another user you might want to look up is Enjolras. He passed selection and went to the REP just a few months ago and described the process in a few threads.

Good luck!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Nickfury has talked about his experience in selection many times. He figures the selection committee cut him for having too many options back home.

https://cervens.net/legionbbs123/sh...-in-Aubagne-December-2005-(Part-1)&highlight=

That’s his experience. It was a while ago (2005), but I doubt things have changed that much.
Another user you might want to look up is Enjolras. He passed selection and went to the REP just a few months ago and described the process in a few threads.

Good luck!
I know that this msg is there somewhere, but I never bother to find it because I already know good part of Nick's story. Thanks for posting this.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
And Nick ... Youuu ! :) Man, I'm first guy to give you you like for that post in more than 10 y. Reason... No many others bothered to read whole text.

You can easily just print that out and publish it as short novel. There is also for amount of drama in it.

All that for just two weeks! I can imagine what would happen if you served 17 y (like our Joe). 10 books with 500 pages each. Something like this. View attachment 5965 'The Work OF Nickfury' :)

Ok , I was F-ing around little bit. Thanks man, for that detailed insight in your selection experience.

Yeah, we can print it a book of short novels. Imagine how many pages we can print with your 1174 comments on the Cervens board, without setting one foot in France!
“The walk of fame of Cervens' wannabesâ€￾. So, when are you going Dusaboss?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Haha that's good one Highlander [emoji4]. Instead of losing some weight I put it on. I will increase training and introduce some serious diet. Hopefully, I would be good to go in one month.

Dusaboss,

I am fed up with your constant procrastination. Likewise the obfuscation in your posts.

Simply "GO" or remain as a major forum poster, to be scorned by all and sundry, reduced to obloquy.

I shall have died and you will still be posting drivel on this forum.

Anyway my Euros (50) remain safe. So a few wets can be bought for my oppos when I cross the bar !

Chas.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Dusaboss,

I am fed up with your constant procrastination. Likewise the obfuscation in your posts.

Simply "GO" or remain as a major forum poster, to be scorned by all and sundry, reduced to obloquy.

I shall have died and you will still be posting drivel on this forum.

Anyway my Euros (50) remain safe. So a few wets can be bought for my oppos when I cross the bar !

Chas.
Guilty as charged. I don't have anything to say in my defence. I lost all excuses. I didn't really want to write that up, but Highlander with her sort of "reverse psychology" push me in to it.

Dusaboss,

Simply pathetic to blame someone else. (Highlander)

If I had your attitude my instructor WW2 Cdo Colour Sgt. Dizzy Dunsmore, DCM, would have given me the boot saying that I was a waste of space.

My squad photo is on FB and he is there as our weapons instructor.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Dusaboss,

Simply pathetic to blame someone else. (Highlander)

If I had your attitude my instructor WW2 Cdo Colour Sgt. Dizzy Dunsmore, DCM, would have given me the boot saying that I was a waste of space.

My squad photo is on FB and he is there as our weapons instructor.
I'm not blaming her! ... ohhhh! :) I would just STFU

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Cernunnos, exactly, I remember him saying that on here. Thanks mate.
Well for those who are going, play it humble, down grade your schooling and past work experience and learn this lesson.

(...) what are some things that turn people away that the majority of wannabe's do not anticipate? (...)
That's a question that you may well never have an answer to, even if you go and try to enlist. Besides obvious reasons for rejection (substandard physical condition, medical problems, failure at the psycho-technical test and therefore considered, rightly or wrongly, too ‘dumb’ for the Legion), you have dozens of reasons that can make you get rejected that will never be clearly explained to you.
It can be that the ‘Gestapo’ (always with quotes, when talking about the DSPLE, as it's a nickname) found something fishy in your story (again, justifiably or not), that they didn't perceive a true motivation for the Legion, that something in your legal records (if any) doesn't please them, etc. It can just be that you were a good candidate, but the time you went to selection there were others considered better than you and not enough positions available. Støeng could probably give us more details, but he's now seldom visiting the board.
Anyway, everybody must realise that, like in civilian life, when you have a job interview, selection in the Legion is not 100% purely rational. Perception of the candidate, impression he's giving (that you can't always control) play an important role. All the more so when you have around 8 candidates (a bit more, or a bit less, depending on the time you join) for one position open.
Don't spend too much time trying to over analyse things you have little or no control upon.

I have actually never heard anyone put it that way. I know it's common knowledge that there is an element of luck and randomness in selection, but that actually makes a lot of sense. And I know that I cannot control a lot of it, but I think the important parts are making a good impression, having clear motives, and showing that I do not have an abundance of options back home.

Most viewed threads of the week