a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on personal belongings and a brief introduction

Reaction score
Home Country
Singapore
Hello all,

I recently found out about the French Foreign Legion and was interested in joining next year during spring.

This is the one question that bugged me.

Do they keep your personal belongings for the entirety of the five years of your first contract, or are they returned to you once you get posted to your unit?

I have some personal items that I won't be leaving without as I do not intend on returning home once I leave.

Here's a Work in Progress list of what I plan on taking with me:

Mess kit
Wool blanket
Small rucksack (30 Liters)
Iphone
Bare minimum amount of clothes
Toiletry pouch with a small bar of soap and a towel
Water bottle (2 Quarts)
Wool blanket jacket
A pair of trainers

I only have access to my passport since my parents keep my birth certificate, ID card, school and medical details locked up in a safe.

I'm leaving due to issues with my family. I tried building a rapport but nothing good came of it. The healthiest thing for me to do is to leave.

I'm a 23-year-old male with no physical medical conditions and wears glasses. I have a history of anger management issues but never got into trouble with the law.

I'm interested in the 1st Foreign Cavalry Regiment due to a personal interest in armored vehicles.

I'm looking for some advice.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Welcome to the forum, those personal belongings except the toiletries will be locked up in Aubagne and given back to you when you are sent to Regiment after instruction.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Welcome to the forum. I coped this list off of the legion forum of what to take with you.
  • 1 pair of running shoes
  • 3 sets of underwear (3 underwear items - 3 tee-shirts - 3 pairs of socks)
  • Toilet bag (soap/shower gel – shaver and shaving cream – shower towel – shower slippers)
  • Cash: 50€ maximum
The maximum cash is what they will allow you to keep. It says do not bring credit cards. Any excess money and credit cards will be kept safe for you. Take them and your Iphone which will be returned to you once you are in your regiment, except the credit card.

Make sure that you have your name on everything, including underwear. Also the soap should be of the antiseptic type:
1521621706666.png
This is because people come from all walks of life and there' is no point in catching some kind of skin decease because someone else is lacking in hygiene.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Hi,
I'm planning to join the legion. How is the selection process? What do they analyse your on during the personal interview? Any advice how to clear selection phase.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hi,
I'm planning to join the legion. How is the selection process? What do they analyse your on during the personal interview? Any advice how to clear selection phase.
You have plenty answers on forum. Use "search" bar for specific thing you are interested.

If you want answers from as here, now... it would be good to make you questions little bit more direct.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Dunno about your place of birth, but in my country by bribing some official you can so easily extract a new birth certificate.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
You have plenty answers on forum. Use "search" bar for specific thing you are interested.

If you want answers from as here, now... it would be good to make you questions little bit more direct.
Sure. Wanted to know what kind of questions do they ask in the interview rounds. What are they analyzing on these rounds?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Is that Ryan again trailing sell his golden PDFs here?

If not, here.

Maybe your fellow countryman can help you Ironmax.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi,
Hi Ironmax. Not much of an entry there:
"Hi, I'm planning to join the legion"... and I want someone to answer all the question that have been answered numerous times before.
Why not start again by telling us a bit about yourself, why you want to join, when you want to join and then use the search button to check for all your topics of questions?
Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Home Country
Colombia
Sure. Wanted to know what kind of questions do they ask in the interview rounds. What are they analyzing on these rounds?
Well first of all as the indian you are, just any person that goes volunteer that lives outside Europe, you're strange to them. Take in account that you're not the only person they will interview, there are like 50 people after you.

What I've learned is that you must say the same in the motivational interview that in "Gestapo" one. If you add or rest something in your story they will doubt about you and the best thing you can expect is more interrogation. Omit unnecesary information, just say what they ask for.

Reaction score
Home Country
Colombia
Hello all,

I recently found out about the French Foreign Legion and was interested in joining next year during spring.

This is the one question that bugged me.

Do they keep your personal belongings for the entirety of the five years of your first contract, or are they returned to you once you get posted to your unit?

I have some personal items that I won't be leaving without as I do not intend on returning home once I leave.

Here's a Work in Progress list of what I plan on taking with me:

Mess kit
Wool blanket
Small rucksack (30 Liters)
Iphone
Bare minimum amount of clothes
Toiletry pouch with a small bar of soap and a towel
Water bottle (2 Quarts)
Wool blanket jacket
A pair of trainers

I only have access to my passport since my parents keep my birth certificate, ID card, school and medical details locked up in a safe.

I'm leaving due to issues with my family. I tried building a rapport but nothing good came of it. The healthiest thing for me to do is to leave.

I'm a 23-year-old male with no physical medical conditions and wears glasses. I have a history of anger management issues but never got into trouble with the law.

I'm interested in the 1st Foreign Cavalry Regiment due to a personal interest in armored vehicles.

I'm looking for some advice.
You're that kind of people that kicks and smash objects when you're already too angry? If yes... Do you do that regularly or in very few moments? Or just say rude words in every sentence?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Times have changed or is it me? Still getting used to people making plans so far ahead in joining like end of the year, next year or sometime. Suppose reasons for joining have changed dramatically but makes me think will the day ever come when their is just to entry times per year? Just my thoughts out loud

Etoiles_mortant

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
I think its mostly because of the increased competition. Back on Le petit Caporal's time just showing up at the gate and not being a tosser was enough to take you all the way to Castel. Nowadays you have to compete with "Rambos" from the USA, who try to join the Legion due to its, ill attributed, prestige.

I know I would have joined already with the old pull-up requirements. Since they upped it to 7, I said "Since I have to train some more, lets throw swimming and french in there, and apply next year".

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Hi Ironmax. Not much of an entry there:
"Hi, I'm planning to join the legion"... and I want someone to answer all the question that have been answered numerous times before.
Why not start again by telling us a bit about yourself, why you want to join, when you want to join and then use the search button to check for all your topics of questions?
Welcome to the forum.

Hello Joseph,
I've been through lots of jobs and not too successful as I love something more adventurous. For me joining the Legion is like getting another chance making something better out of this life. And, also my love for armored vehicles and guns. Looking to join in December'18.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
I think its mostly because of the increased competition. Back on Le petit Caporal's time just showing up at the gate and not being a tosser was enough to take you all the way to Castel. Nowadays you have to compete with "Rambos" from the USA, who try to join the Legion due to its, ill attributed, prestige.

I know I would have joined already with the old pull-up requirements. Since they upped it to 7, I said "Since I have to train some more, lets throw swimming and french in there, and apply next year".

Damn, do you need to know swimming before joining?

Reaction score
Home Country
Colombia

I guess that the times of showing up were reserved to war times just like Argelia or Indochine

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
You're that kind of people that kicks and smash objects when you're already too angry? If yes... Do you do that regularly or in very few moments? Or just say rude words in every sentence?

Damn! I'm that kind of people. Occasionally (rally) I have to kick or smash something when someone really piss me off.

I don't see that as problem because I have everything under control. It's my way of "anger management ". Much better than kick or smash a person. Isn't it? ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
Colombia
Damn! I'm that kind of people. Occasionally (rally) I have to kick or smash something when someone really piss me off.

I don't see that as problem because I have everything under control. It's my way of "anger management ". Much better than kick or smash a person. Isn't it? ;)
I see it's normal. Damn I thought I was the only person to do that lol.

Anyway I think that is enough for them for not hitting a Foot-Foot or your buddy.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

I can think of one or two persons I could point in your direction if you change and want to off load on a person 🥊 only because they may recognise me the second time 😀