a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proverbes français

Bizaum

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
How fluent do you have to be in French to become a Corporal, or do you have to just be 'Legion French' Fluent? lol
I guess it depends on which caporal course you are going to be sent to. Theres one at Castel (the hard one) which you can be sent to directly after basic (and a preparation period), and theres the one that is shorter and is done on the regiment, for guys who have been in like 4, 5 years or so. I think the guys who learn french quickly are going to end up in the former, and the dyslexic ones who take 3 years to learn a new lang in the later... but also I've never been there and I guess theres more to getting promoted than speaking french.

A1200

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
In my opinion it's is not the language that is important to become a corporal but to have balls of steel ino order to be in lead fo bad ass mother feckers,other way you will not have be respected,so the question is not how fluent you speak french but if you have the guts and if you worth enough to be respected as a small leader.

Stormbringer

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Through the gates of Hell, as we make our way to H
Home Country
Bulgaria
I guess it depends on which caporal course you are going to be sent to. Theres one at Castel (the hard one) which you can be sent to directly after basic (and a preparation period), and theres the one that is shorter and is done on the regiment, for guys who have been in like 4, 5 years or so. I think the guys who learn french quickly are going to end up in the former, and the dyslexic ones who take 3 years to learn a new lang in the later... but also I've never been there and I guess theres more to getting promoted than speaking french.
I think the first one that produces Caporeax "fut-fut" does not exist anymore.

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
L'argent est le nerf de la guerre. = Money is the sinew of war.

Décrocher la timbaleé. = Make the the cut.

La meilleure défense c'est l'attaque. = Attack is the best form of defence.

Quand on veut, on peut. = Where there is a will, there is a way.

Têtu comme un âne. = Stubborn as a mule. (One of my favorites)

Chacun pour soi, et Dieu pour tous. = Every man for himself and devil take the hindmost.

Au danger on connaît les braves. = Calamity is the touchstone of a brave mind.

Donner du fil a retordre. = Give someone a hard time.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
A man with a beard ressembles his father
A man with out a beard ressembles his sister
A woman with tits ressembles her Mother
A woman with out tits ressembles her brother

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Plus ca change....
Chacun sa merde
Kif man
Schlook (sp)
Merde alors

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I was fluent in French before I went, probably why they took me against all of my negative factors.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Cessér de me regarder comme un JCB tout neuf
Stop starring at me as if am a brand new JCB

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
best way to keep a secret is not to have one
meilleur façon de garder un secret, c'est de ne pas avoir

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Essayé de me faire chanter la Marseillaises tout nu, sur la banquise. . Enculé

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This is an old thread but since it is relatively at the top I thought I could drop a proverb with a short explanation.

1. “Qui n’avance pas, recule” is a truth that none can counter. It is translated as, “Who does not move forward, recedes”. There can be no standstill in life, only evolution or devolution. Either one evolves, or one devolves. To be stagnant is the same as to recede. “Expect poison from the standing water,” the English poet William Blake once wrote. This proverb can be used as encouragement in the need to persevere. It may be persistently employed, given its truth content.

Here is the link. There are 8 others which are ok. I showed which one meant the most to me with you guys.
https://www.fluentu.com/blog/french/french-proverbs/
\\ I am in no way affiliated with this link. I just came across it and wanted to share it with you guys. //

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Tenir bon.Ne Cedez pas or if you prefer. ..
Hold strong, Concède nowt
Some thing the Legion excels in
Victory is an accoutants calculation, btw

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
This is an old thread but since it is relatively at the top I thought I could drop a proverb with a short explanation.

1. “Qui n’avance pas, recule” is a truth that none can counter. It is translated as, “Who does not move forward, recedes”. There can be no standstill in life, only evolution or devolution. Either one evolves, or one devolves. To be stagnant is the same as to recede. “Expect poison from the standing water,” the English poet William Blake once wrote. This proverb can be used as encouragement in the need to persevere. It may be persistently employed, given its truth content.

Here is the link. There are 8 others which are ok. I showed which one meant the most to me with you guys.
https://www.fluentu.com/blog/french/french-proverbs/
\\ I am in no way affiliated with this link. I just came across it and wanted to share it with you guys. //
I'd leave the Philo for the Bac candidates. signé Joe Cosgrove.

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Is begging a full time job?
Oui, je connais bien les gens qui faisait une belle carrière de ça... Pour renseignements complémentaires, faut trouver un intersection avec un feu rouge fréquentes par les gens SDF...
(I hope my french is not that bad... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)