a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proverbes français

Hroflr Grimm

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
For those that are past the basic basics of French and are starting to bang their head against the wall of French idioms I thought I would share some of what I am studying with the rest who are interested.

Le phrase d'aujourd'hui:

Qui ne risque rien n'a rien.

(nothing ventured, nothing gained), literal: Who risks nothing, has nothing.

-Grimm

Desefortunadamente

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
For those that are past the basic basics of French and are starting to bang their head against the wall of French idioms I thought I would share some of what I am studying with the rest who are interested.

Le phrase d'aujourd'hui:

-Grimm

I like it Grimm, but I'm not a Francophone, but I get the gist of what is spoken on account of Spanish. My personal favorite is C'est la vie. A bit cheesy perhaps, but I got that tattooed on my neck.

TFer85

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Le phrase d'aujourd'hui:

-Grimm

I just found out that wikipedia has a whole list of them.

Here's my best shot at French:

C'est un proverbe que j'ai trouve: "Après la pluie, le beau temps."

Translation: After trouble comes calm.

Ton proverbe et bon, et je crois qu'il est similar a l'autre proverbe qui dit "fortune favors the bold". Je suis pas certain comment s'ecrie en francais.

TFer85

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I like it Grimm, but I'm not a Francophone, but I get the gist of what is spoken on account of Spanish. My personal favorite is C'est la vie. A bit cheesy perhaps, but I got that tattooed on my neck.

That's pretty cool for a tattoo, I think.

Btw, j'espere que les videos que je t'ai recommande ont ete utile pour toi... mais, c'est possible que tu n'a pas le temps pour eux.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Ton proverbe et bon, et je crois qu'il est similar a l'autre proverbe qui dit "fortune favors the bold". Je suis pas certain comment s'ecrie en francais.
"Fortune favors the bold", in French "la Fortune sourit aux audacieux" (sourit, from the verb sourire, meaning smile).

scum of the earth

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
"Fortune favors the bold", in French "la Fortune sourit aux audacieux" (sourit, from the verb sourire, meaning smile).

i think he got his 'google translator' reversed

i am learning french at the moment, its real easy because a lot of english words come from french words. in that there was fortune and 'audacieux' audacity ? similar spelling and probably meaning too. although not the same.

Jeet

Reaction score
Home Country
India
NOT FRENCH ...This is a very old INDIAN Proverb

"Your thoughts are powerful than your will "

so always think +ve

John777

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I love the language, still go over my French books. French community in Cape Town small and hard to find, so my French will probably disappear. It was nice to help myself with basic French when I was there. In Aubagne there was this small extremely shitty 'hotel', "Hotel Par du Cap".
When I walked in I said, "Le chambre sil vu pleis", the owner looked at me and said, "Oui, ice rejoinre la legion estrangere". My reply "No, le facance" Sorry about the spelling Repace, my French is basic, anyway obviously "Hotel Par Du Cap" has seen many hopefulls.

TFer85

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
i think he got his 'google translator' reversed

i am learning french at the moment, its real easy because a lot of english words come from french words. in that there was fortune and 'audacieux' audacity ? similar spelling and probably meaning too. although not the same.

I didn't use any translator, asshole. It was obvious when I said "I don't know how to write it in French".

corvee de chotte

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
la Fortune sourit aux audacieux ,I am going to get that tattooed on my bellend should look real cool

Hroflr Grimm

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States

So literal is "Fortune smiles with the audacious." ?

Quand tu a deux paires de couilles, l'enemi n'est pas loin

hahahahaha! Nice. :)

Literal is "When you have two pairs of balls, the enemy isn't far (away)." ? Cette phrase est une proverbe de la Légion ?

Hroflr Grimm

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey ladies! If you two are going to have a purse fight in this thread at least have the decency to do it en francais.

Along those lines I've chosen the following to memorize today:

La bave du crapaud n'atteint pas la blanche colombe.

Lit: The slime of the toad does not reach the white dove.
Translation: Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

okidoki

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Quand tu a deux paires de couilles, l'enemi n'est pas loin

si vous avez 4 testickles vous avez 2 un trop grand nombre.... with respect mon adj

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
So literal is "Fortune smiles with the audacious." ?
More precisely, Fortune smiles to the audacious.

Literal is "When you have two pairs of balls, the enemy isn't far (away)." ? Cette phrase est une proverbe de la Légion ?
A classic in the French military. A variant is Si tu sens que tu as deux paires de couilles, ne crois pas que tu es un surhomme, c'est juste que tu viens de te faire enculer (If you feel you've got 2 pairs of balls, don't believe you're a superman, it's just that you've been screwed).

TFer85

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
More precisely, Fortune smiles to the audacious.

A classic in the French military. A variant is Si tu sens que tu as deux paires de couilles, ne crois pas que tu es un surhomme, c'est juste que tu viens de te faire enculer (If you feel you've got 2 pairs of balls, don't believe you're a superman, it's just that you've been screwed).

C'est un proverbe un peu etrange. J'ai pensee que Mr Stoeng a fait un erreur quand il a dit "deux paires"... mais je suis tres stupide et maintenant je comprend ce proverbe.