Proverbes français

Hroflr Grimm

Hyper Active Member
Home Country
United States
La phrase d'aujourd'hui:

<< il fallait prendre tes préoccupations avant >>

I found this phrase as referred to something one is told as a child. It basically means "plan ahead". I was hoping however that some of our resident francophones might be able to elaborate some and/or provide a better translation?

-Grimm

Rapace

Home Country
France
La phrase d'aujourd'hui:> I found this phrase as referred to something one is told as a child. It basically means "plan ahead". I was hoping however that some of our resident francophones might be able to elaborate some and/or provide a better translation?-Grimm
Grimm, It's not 'préoccupations' (worries in English), but 'précautions' (same word in English I think). This is typically used by a mum telling her child that "they should have taken their precautions" when the child wants to take a pee in circumstances where it's especially inconvenient.

Hroflr Grimm

Hyper Active Member
Home Country
United States
I ran into this phrase today:

<< je suis tombée dans les pommes >>

I am fallen in the apples. I assume this is an allegory for something else?

Rapace

Home Country
France
The expression tomber dans les pommes (“je suis tombée dans les pommesâ€￾ being, litterally translated, “I've fallen in the applesâ€￾) means “to faintâ€￾ or “to pass outâ€￾. No idea what apples have to do in this. Just an idiom...

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Home Country
Macao
This is perhaps an unofficial dictum but which served me well in my time as a legionnaire and soldier elsewhere:
"Avant d'éxecuter l'ordre, il faut attendre le contre-ordre afin d'éviter le désordre sinon l'anarchie".....:):rolleyes:

Rapace

Home Country
France
que sera, sera

whatever will be, will be

(cet donne un homme liberte, ou pas?)
Que sera, sera (more precisely, que será, será) is Spanish Veteran, although it looks a bit like French. El señor Santiago de la Presilla o cualquier otro hispano hablante en el forum puede confirmar eso.

Edgar

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Home Country
Australia
I have always liked" L'audace toujours l'audace" Napoleon....audacity...always audacity
Edgar X Sgt FFL

G.I. Joe

Home Country
New Zealand
Does anybody have a list of 'important' phrases commonly used it the Legion and their English Translation and 'sounds like'

For example:

Stand the **** up
Sit the **** down
Get over here
Go over there
To the right idiot
To the left retard
I said go ****wit
Stop you piece of shit

etc etc

Thanks

A1200

Home Country
Greece
Does anybody have a list of 'important' phrases commonly used it the Legion and their English Translation and 'sounds like'
when you got shouted start "do something" ,go to diferent directions,if you get shout again try to do something else,if they stop shouting then you do it right,there you go you start learning francais.

RMD

Hyper Active Member
Home Country
Australia

For example:

Stand the **** up
Sit the **** down
Get over here
Go over there
To the right idiot
To the left retard
I said go ****wit
Stop you piece of shit

etc etc

Thanks
You can just use hand gestures & a scowl for all that.

G.I. Joe

Home Country
New Zealand
when you got shouted start "do something" ,go to diferent directions,if you get shout again try to do something else,if they stop shouting then you do it right,there you go you start learning francais.
Yeah I don't have anyone to do this prior to arriving... I would prefer to be preemptive as opposed to just turning up unprepared and not understanding common day to day words and phrase... but thanks anyway.... I think :)

G.I. Joe

Home Country
New Zealand
OK then, try top watch the Bear Grylles Escape to the Legion, but pay attention to the language of the corporals and seargents, not to the story.
Allez, vitte, vitte! Demerde toi! :D
Uncanny - I was just putting this on as you posted this :D - I have seen it before (and thought it was great) - I will be doing just as you advised - I had since come to this exact conclusion. I am just replaying my you tube videos (with subtitles) and trying to pick up common phrases from this. How fluent do you have to be in French to become a Corporal, or do you have to just be 'Legion French' Fluent? lol

Most viewed threads of the week