Private Military Contractors

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Do not fantasize too much over jobs in Security after the Legion :
1/ There is a huge number of candidates. “Many are called but few are chosenÂâ€￾
2/ Pay is no longer what it used to be, compared to the ‘good old days’ of the Iraq invasion in 2003 and beyond.
3/ Depending on what you did and how far you progressed in rank, a 5-year contract in the Legion will not guarantee you a job in a PMC.
Well said and very true, it's not what you have done or what qualifications you have. It's who you know !

Cpl K...

This subject has been flogged to death. You have to have just done more than served. You have to be qualified. One excellent example is my good friend Serge (Green/Rep). We used to dine together. He made good money as a contractor and got out when the time was right. He got recognisable Intl' qualifications and was highly employable.

Most of these so-called security men I would never employ- simply 'gung ho' idiots wearing raybans and carrying a weapon.

I have posted before. Yes it is true years ago I ran a division of the Wackenhut Corp and was also GM Gulf Security Co Kuwait.
Nice post Chas, the days of gung ho warriors is over. These days you have to be quiet, smart and good in I.T.

Cpl K...

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
This subject has been flogged to death. You have to have just done more than served. You have to be qualified. One excellent example is my good friend Serge (Green/Rep). We used to dine together. He made good money as a contractor and got out when the time was right. He got recognisable Intl' qualifications and was highly employable.

Most of these so-called security men I would never employ- simply 'gung ho' idiots wearing raybans and carrying a weapon.

I have posted before. Yes it is true years ago I ran a division of the Wackenhut Corp and was also GM Gulf Security Co Kuwait.
From experience the close protection industry is very much the same these days. To any thinking of going into to it don't, You would be better off becoming a plumber or a electrician. Better pay and your at home most nights. Plus better money.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
From experience the close protection industry is very much the same these days. To any thinking of going into to it don't, You would be better off becoming a plumber or a electrician. Better pay and your at home most nights. Plus better money.
Plus as a sparky / plumber you don't get shot at... unless your workmanship is really shoddy :)!

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Some of the posts on this thread are those that BTDT, and others...not so much. For the latter...

Please read the actual definition of a soldier vs security contractor vs mercenary before you infect the rest of forum with your CoD-inspired drivel.

Many thanks.

PS: Blackwater did not have 20K "soldiers", and no...Academi is NOT the same organization...please check your "facts"

Some of the posts on this thread are those that BTDT, and others...not so much. For the latter...

Please read the actual definition of a soldier vs security contractor vs mercenary before you infect the rest of forum with your CoD-inspired drivel.

Many thanks.

PS: Blackwater did not have 20K "soldiers", and no...Academi is NOT the same organization...please check your "facts"
I think you will find that academi is the same organization. Blackwater changed to XE services in 2009 and then to Academi in 2011.

a1b2c3

Legionnaire
Dusaboss...yes, you can actually find the differences in reality. And while any one individual may have been on different contracts, with different clients, different mission parameters, etc...at different times, if you actually read and research it you will find that the reality on the ground (not the sensationalist media or attention-whore types) is frequently more distinct than it appears.

Were there some grey areas...sure, absolutely. That's life. But mercenary...really?

bobbie...yes, I am perfectly aware of the origin history. And your point is?

Blackwater as an entity does NOT exist anymore, other than for merchandise-purposes. They (Academi) are not even an independent company anymore...they are owned by Constellis. There are no contracts out there being held by a company named Blackwater, nor are any of their former employees still working for Blackwater. The principles, board, etc. are ALL different, as are the contracts, most of the employees (not doubt there are probably some that have worked for BW and are present working for Constellis or subsidiary in some capacity), as well as capabilities.

Hawkeye47

Dusaboss...yes, you can actually find the differences in reality. And while any one individual may have been on different contracts, with different clients, different mission parameters, etc...at different times, if you actually read and research it you will find that the reality on the ground (not the sensationalist media or attention-whore types) is frequently more distinct than it appears.

Were there some grey areas...sure, absolutely. That's life. But mercenary...really?

Blackwater as an entity does NOT exist anymore, other than for merchandise-purposes. They (Academi) are not even an independent company anymore...they are owned by Constellis. There are no contracts out there being held by a company named Blackwater, nor are any of their former employees still working for Blackwater. The principles, board, etc. are ALL different, as are the contracts, most of the employees (not doubt there are probably some that have worked for BW and are present working for Constellis or subsidiary in some capacity), as well as capabilities.
I had a cousin that did some work while they were Blackwater, did a few jobs(before the company change) then he's now training some MARSOC units on certain tactics in the field, working through Academi. From what I been told DYNcorp is the big fish in the PMC world like how blackwater was back in 03-12

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

maim

Legionnaire
I've worked for a number of PMC's, Saito and Jean Pierre were both in my convoy team in 2005 with HART. I've also worked in Afghanistan with a couple of different companies and throughout Africa with a number. The wages have been coming down from their peak in 2003 and unless you're a Medic, manager or can write SOP's, proposals and mitigation docs, you will earn about 160 USD a day in the pit or the box. You won't be paid on leave and a number of companies will pay you half wages whilst travelling.
Dyncorp, Triple Canopy and Academi rarely take non US citizens and UK and French companies will only pay for flights from Europe.
A friend of mine is working as an ops mgr in Libya and rakes in 3K USD a month.
It is what it is.
Stay safe all,
aye,
M.

My point being that because they changed their name there CEO and other top staff doesn't mean there not the same organization. You can guarantee that there is still plenty of employees from blackwaters days. Yes your right technically blackwater doesn't exist but like many companies in the world weather civilian or military a quick name change and on paper its technically a different company.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
My intention was not to keep lectures on this subject, but to start the topic, say something that I know and learn from people who know better than me.

Yes of course there is difference between regular and private armies. Is regular have much more honor than others? I don't think so. That depends on what type of person soldier is and from atmosphere in company.

Is fighting for state so much greater cause than fighting for pay check? In this time when globalization is all over nacional states are starting do to lose their importance.

I'm asking myself is it fighting and dying for corrupt politicians, interests of multinational companies and fake nacionalizam implemented in order to control masses honorable thing to do? One will say you fight for people from your country, for greater cause, but my intelligence wont let me to accept that as true. At and of day if shit hits a fan you fight for guy next to you and that all what meter at that moment.
Being mercenary is nothing wrong.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
I've worked for a number of PMC's, Saito and Jean Pierre were both in my convoy team in 2005 with HART. I've also worked in Afghanistan with a couple of different companies and throughout Africa with a number. The wages have been coming down from their peak in 2003 and unless you're a Medic, manager or can write SOP's, proposals and mitigation docs, you will earn about 160 USD a day in the pit or the box. You won't be paid on leave and a number of companies will pay you half wages whilst travelling.
Dyncorp, Triple Canopy and Academi rarely take non US citizens and UK and French companies will only pay for flights from Europe.
A friend of mine is working as an ops mgr in Libya and rakes in 3K USD a month.
It is what it is.

M.
Nice to hear that. Can you tell as more of engagement for PMCs?

Stay safe all,
aye,
M.
Ye, ye maybe I will ;).

I'll jump in quickly.

Yeah the industry has certainly changed from 10 or 15 years ago... but that's how it always goes. A lot of people still expect to be paid 400 usd/day for a simple job just because they got that at some point when there were very few people qualified to do this kind of work. It's certainly how it went in maritime and a lot of people have the same feelings on land too. But the fact is that either you need to be so good that you cannot be easily replaced or then you need to accept the fact that you are on the same level as the other guys and as such you'll probably be paid like the other guys too. The first category is a damn exclusive group of people...

Long story short: it's not as bad as a lot of people say.

A lot of guys just got their ego crushed when the industry matured and the companies realized that they don't need to pay a shooter $500/day. Those days are over, and anyone with half a brain realized that it won't last for long. It was never a sustainable level. As far as I know, most guys nowadays are between $100 and $300 per day, which is still a lot better than what they were making in the armed forces. Add 3-4 months of vacation per year... not a bad deal. Even if it's just $150 per day, working 9 months a year would leave you with $40500 per year. So an average of $3375 per month.. that is after taxes... that is accomodation, food, insurance etc all paid. With 3 months of vacation per year. As much as people love to complain, that certainly isn't a bad deal for most people. Very few jobs in the civvy world offer you a package where you are left with over 3k per month after all your expenses... and you're lucky to get more than 4 weeks off per year. (though you do get your evenings and weekends) If you compare it to what the legion offers, it's still basically double the vacation and triple the pay.

People just need to accept the fact that being a regular shooter doesn't entitle you to a fancy mansion with two ferraris anymore. As maim put it so well, "it is what it is". Either you accept the reality of the industry or then you go home. It's certainly not an easy industry to be in but it's far from the slavery that some people make it out to be.

a1b2c3

Legionnaire
I got out in 2011, and in 2012 was offered a maritime gig (as a regular team member) at $350USD per day + 50% while on standby (on floating hotel/armory). Last I heard, the same position was being paid (circa 2014-2015) $175USD per day without the 50% on standby...

Maritime pay is well below what it used to be.

On terre it can be a bit better, but as the others above have said...it pays to have a special skillset. EOD, medical, IT, comms, etc...combine those plus language(s), and more doors will open. Network, be willing to "eat bitter", get a (good) reputation and being flexible and adaptable goes a long way. Living in austere conditions is not fun, but it helps when you know that when you finish the rotation the bank account has grown a nice chunk...

Sometimes one can get lucky and get onto a relatively stable contract, but it's not an easy industry to be in...use the money wisely. Save, invest it (education, property, fungible goods, etc.), and if possible obtain more training and/or branch out into other skills.

And while it might be considered just semantics by some...the industry (and this thread) should rightfully be called "Private SECURITY Contractors", not military...there are extremely few positions that would be considered classic military, tip-of-the-spear types. And those are almost never advertised...mostly based on one's network and reputation.

And because I have gotten PM's regarding this subject...please do not PM asking for more details or to help you find a job. I am not a recruiter nor am I in a position that affects hiring decisions. Thank you for your understanding.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Sorry guy what do you want. google is your friend, aye, M.
Not much. Info, maybe a friend. Google is good for first one but not for second.

And because I have gotten PM's regarding this subject...please do not PM asking for more details or to help you find a job. I am not a recruiter nor am I in a position that affects hiring decisions. Thank you for your understanding.
Who did PM you man? This is your first message (as I know) in which you connecting yourself with PMCs. Maybe I wanted to send you PM after this, but you are one step ahead. :(

Can one work for PMC if don't have army experience?

a1b2c3

Legionnaire
dusaboss...post was not directed at you, my apologies if it seems that way. It was directed at the general readership of the forum.

I have never worked for a PMC. I have worked for PSC's. Not the same thing...different mission profile, different clients.

Not being ex-military presents a significant challenge to overcome if one wishes to join a PMC. Practically impossible...but there's always someone I'm sure.

PSC on the other hand, it is possible...right place + right time and all that. Iraq 2003-2005 for example.

For the incult : Blair Atholl : Blàr Ath Fhodla in Gaélique means, Blair, as in Tony Blair = feild or champs, if you prefer, in French
Atholl means, new Ireland
New Ireland Field
I grew up here, was born in Aberfeldy, several klicks near by.
Aberfeldy, has the oldest living tree in the british isles . The Yew of Fortingall L' if de Fortingall estimated age 3500 yrs )
Aberfeldy, has the longest canyon in the british isles. ..the birks of Aberfeldy (birks means canyon,in english
Robert Burns, Scotlands national poet, wrote a poem, "the birks of Aberfeldy "
Aye, him, who gifted the world with, Auld Lang Syne / C'est que un au revoir
Ponce Pilote was born here, his father was préfet and had an illigitamit child, a girl, with a woman who belonged to the Clan McLaren
South of Aberfeldy, is Glen Ghoul Andy
West of Aberfeldy, the longest glen /vallée if you prefer of the british isles : glen Lyon
Nîmes, where i live actually, is surrounded by 7 collines, or if you prefer, hills
Aberfeldy, is surrounded by 7 lochs /lakes and gives birth to the strongest debit of all british isles rivers. ..the river Tay
Just saying

Most viewed threads of the week