Photosets of FFL

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
673 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Not Legion but 13th Parachute Dragoon Regiment of the French Army.
Here's my claim to fame with the 13eme RDP. They are the information collecting boys. I was with the REP 3rd Cie, in Bangui Central African republic. There were two teams of 4 from the 13's CRAPs (deep behind the lines) on the same base. One of them had for mission to search out a mercenary training camp along a river running from the Dem Rep de Congo, (formally Zaire) through RCA, to Cameroune. I honestly forget the name of the river but you can look it up.
So where do I come in? Two of us from the 3rd Cie- amphibious company- were picked to go with them to pilot the zodiacs. I had done my inflatable boat repairing course on a French navy boat in Djibouti and worked at the amphibious center repairing zodiacs and teaching the new comers how to pilot. The other, a Pole, worked on the motors with me down there.
Sorry everyone, no big finishing climax. They would go off and talk to the locals and have a scout around, we would stay and guard the boats. We were all well armed though.
They found nothing and we got helicoptered out after six days.

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
Serbia
Here's my claim to fame with the 13eme RDP. They are the information collecting boys. I was with the REP 3rd Cie, in Bangui Central African republic. There were two teams of 4 from the 13's CRAPs (deep behind the lines) on the same base. One of them had for mission to search out a mercenary training camp along a river running from the Dem Rep de Congo, (formally Zaire) through RCA, to Cameroune. I honestly forget the name of the river but you can look it up.
So where do I come in? Two of us from the 3rd Cie- amphibious company- were picked to go with them to pilot the zodiacs. I had done my inflatable boat repairing course on a French navy boat in Djibouti and worked at the amphibious center repairing zodiacs and teaching the new comers how to pilot. The other, a Pole, worked on the motors with me down there.
Sorry everyone, no big finishing climax. They would go off and talk to the locals and have a scout around, we would stay and guard the boats. We were all well armed though.
They found nothing and we got helicoptered out after six days.
Thats pretty cool Joe, by any chance did all this occur during the late 90s? I know a few men had gone to Africa (particularity Zaire)from my country to be mercenary's/instructors there. There are clips of them on youtube in a camp called " Tingi Tingi " .

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
673 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Thats pretty cool Joe, by any chance did all this occur during the late 90s? I know a few men had gone to Africa (particularity Zaire)from my country to be mercenary's/instructors there. There are clips of them on youtube in a camp called " Tingi Tingi " .
Yes late nineties.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
673 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
View attachment 3857

There is a Legionnaire on the side of this bus wearing all black uniform.. what is it likely he is doing when wearing that sort of uniform?
Greyman, I would say diver. I know that the legion in the old days, used this truck to go around France as a recruiting center. They would pull up in a town, open up the side of the truck and it was an information stand. The Cch who drove would answer the questions of those interested.
I never saw it in a town, only in waiting in Aubagne, but I knew a Cch who drove it. He said he was alone. When he went through Paris he would park it for the night in FdeN. He was a truck driver in civil. Obviously he had a bit of legion service under his belt.
At the time there weren't that many SPL, (super poid lourds) Articulated lorry drivers. There were the SAGLE truck drivers. This was the service d'achat de la legion etrangere. Their job was to buy in bulk and ship out to the foyers, NAAFI, PX, camp store, call it what you will. But the regiments in metropole and Calvi by truck.
Then the second vague from the REP went to ex-Yougo. The regiment needed 80 SPL qualified drivers. So 80 people went on a civilian recognized course, costing I don't know how much in civi street, with lots of mileage under their belts. In the legion, probably throughout the French army, you have a log book noting down how many hours, how many kilometers you have driven. When you reach 10 000 kms, you receive a certificate "conducteur d'elite". Basically elite driver, and it's quickly done.
So you finish your time with an SPL driving license and a certificate, of elite driver. You speak X and French and you know France. One option is opened.

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
Serbia
No clue, saw it on facebook and thought id share. Only text that was with the picture was Merry Christmas in both German and French .

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
Serbia
What a strange thing! I hope that the baby is not supposed to respresent the baby Jesus. I don't think that the Légion was around when he was that small.
I did an image search on google, 2 things came up was 2REP and the Indo China days. My best guess is it has something to do with the Indo China days.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
Canada
Sasa, I wouldn't spend any time on this one, I see there being two options.

Option 1, the artist painted four members of the Legion admiring baby Jesus.

Option 2, this young mother has shown up at the gate of the Kaserne demanding to speak to the duty officer who is trying to identify which Legionnaire the baby most resembles.

Joyeux Noel
Steve

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
Serbia
Description: Fallen Angel. A legionnaire from the French Foreign Legion’s 2REP (Foreign Parachute Regiment) sits in an armored personnel carrier en route to an operation near Badpash Kusa Kala, Afghanistan on June 16, 2010. (Photo and caption by Steven Greaves)

From National Geographic

View attachment 4071

Most viewed threads of the week

Top Bottom