a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Phones and General Question

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello again everyone.

I am leaving very shortly (less than a month but I wont be any more specific than that). I was curious if any could clue me in on what phones someone might bring if not their regular one? I have seen many people talk about getting burner phones but im not sure as to the specifics. Is it just a prepaid phone that someone might buy at a store or something of the sort? I figured I would get one rather than bring my usual phone.

Also since I am leaving so soon I thought I might ask for some general advice anyone might have. As per Josephs video I have decided to go to Aubagne rather than Paris as I originally intended, just a one way ticket to save money. I will most certainly do my best to update this forum on my experience at processing so that I can help others, but please pray that I am not able to update for the coming months haha.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I`ve no idea what phone you would be allowed but I would suggest you buy a pre paid in France otherwise you`ll be paying huge roaming fee`s .
I should have been more clear. I meant one to just bring to France for before I actually go to the recruitment center. Or, since I will likely have to be checked at a separate hospital, something to use then as well. Thank you, are these available at the airport?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi USMC2015,

Who has a burner phone nowadays, those that have something to hide. It's funny that you should mention phones, as I recently replied to someone on my YouTube channel on the subject. What I would suggest to you is that you buy NOW yourself a cheap phone, give your friends the number, you can even subscribe to Facebook (my channel is always available too ;)) so that it looks used. Because, although you are perfectly within your right to refuse the 'gestapo' from 'opening up your phone', it's a long way to go there and back.
Why do it now, because time is running out for you and you need to the convince the 'gestapo' that you did genuinely lose your phone, as opposed to having it stolen. Once you get to your regiment, you will get your original phone back. However, if you have anything to hide on your phone, then just do the above suggestion and have it sent to you once you are in your regiment.
Let's be honest, we all have something to hide, only some of us have it available on their phones. If I was to join tomorrow, and believe I would if I could, then the 'gestapo' could ask me any question they liked concerning my phone. Obviously not everyone is as cautious, which is why you should start to use your new phone now,
Check with you phone operator as for getting special deals while telephone from France, I believe that some will give you a special deal, like being able to telephone 5 numbers on local rates. Then again you can always use things like whats app or line. Just think carefully about the phone (long) before going.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello again everyone.

I am leaving very shortly (less than a month but I wont be any more specific than that). I was curious if any could clue me in on what phones someone might bring if not their regular one? I have seen many people talk about getting burner phones but im not sure as to the specifics. Is it just a prepaid phone that someone might buy at a store or something of the sort? I figured I would get one rather than bring my usual phone.

Also since I am leaving so soon I thought I might ask for some general advice anyone might have. As per Josephs video I have decided to go to Aubagne rather than Paris as I originally intended, just a one way ticket to save money. I will most certainly do my best to update this forum on my experience at processing so that I can help others, but please pray that I am not able to update for the coming months haha.
I came across this while I was checking on something else. I hope that it helps,

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi USMC2015,

Who has a burner phone nowadays, those that have something to hide. It's funny that you should mention phones, as I recently replied to someone on my YouTube channel on the subject. What I would suggest to you is that you buy NOW yourself a cheap phone, give your friends the number, you can even subscribe to Facebook (my channel is always available too ;)) so that it looks used. Because, although you are perfectly within your right to refuse the 'gestapo' from 'opening up your phone', it's a long way to go there and back.
Why do it now, because time is running out for you and you need to the convince the 'gestapo' that you did genuinely lose your phone, as opposed to having it stolen. Once you get to your regiment, you will get your original phone back. However, if you have anything to hide on your phone, then just do the above suggestion and have it sent to you once you are in your regiment.
Let's be honest, we all have something to hide, only some of us have it available on their phones. If I was to join tomorrow, and believe I would if I could, then the 'gestapo' could ask me any question they liked concerning my phone. Obviously not everyone is as cautious, which is why you should start to use your new phone now,
Check with you phone operator as for getting special deals while telephone from France, I believe that some will give you a special deal, like being able to telephone 5 numbers on local rates. Then again you can always use things like whats app or line. Just think carefully about the phone (long) before going.
Long time, no see Joe. Been awhile. What is your YouTube channel?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey there! Doing good over here. I have continued to maintain my interest in the French Foreign Legion in spite of bad personal experience by DCXLV/Kant (whatever he was) Been a long time since I logged in. Sorry to see that his name was still taking up space here. I look forward to checking out your channel. Thank you!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I should have been more clear. I meant one to just bring to France for before I actually go to the recruitment center. Or, since I will likely have to be checked at a separate hospital, something to use then as well. Thank you, are these available at the airport?
Good luck to you. I have been to Paris before. I wish I would have walked from Gare de l'Est to Fort Nogent last time I was there. I was looking on Google street view yesterday. Looks like a nice walk. Not sure if you are a USMC vet or that is just your screen name. I am a long time member of the Lance Corporal Underground.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Good luck to you. I have been to Paris before. I wish I would have walked from Gare de l'Est to Fort Nogent last time I was there. I was looking on Google street view yesterday. Looks like a nice walk. Not sure if you are a USMC vet or that is just your screen name. I am a long time member of the Lance Corporal Underground.
Thanks for the kind words. I am a USMC vet, also a terminal lance haha. I have a very short amount of time left and am quite excited but obviously nervous.

Thank you very much for all the help Joe, decided to pick up a new phone and sold my old one that was more expensive. I look forward to sharing my experience in the months to come.

Rejection or acceptance aside, I'll be damned if I look back on an opportunity like this with regret.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the kind words. I am a USMC vet, also a terminal lance haha. I have a very short amount of time left and am quite excited but obviously nervous.

Thank you very much for all the help Joe, decided to pick up a new phone and sold my old one that was more expensive. I look forward to sharing my experience in the months to come.

Rejection or acceptance aside, I'll be damned if I look back on an opportunity like this with regret.
Don't go before you've watched my video (on my Youtube channel) Time for the legion. Which by the looks of things I'll be bringing out tomorrow. However I will be, thanks to USMCRET, bringing out later today a video about the USMC SF- MAGTF & 2REI, still needs a name.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Do you really think they will be suspicious of you over the phone situation? I was thinking about not even bringing one because it seems like such a headache. Are they gonna assume I'm somehow bad?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Do you really think they will be suspicious of you over the phone situation? I was thinking about not even bringing one because it seems like such a headache. Are they gonna assume I'm somehow bad?
Hi the little US, I've given you a 24 hours ban.
1) for not introducing yourself, which you know perfectly well that that is the norm, more so because it took you two attempts to join. 24 hours should give you enough time to see how things work.
2) I'm wondering if you are not a troll?
So I'll see you back on here at 10 to 1 tomorrow. I will give you until 6 tomorrow.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi the little US, I've given you a 24 hours ban.
1) for not introducing yourself, which you know perfectly well that that is the norm, more so because it took you two attempts to join. 24 hours should give you enough time to see how things work.
2) I'm wondering if you are not a troll?
So I'll see you back on here at 10 to 1 tomorrow. I will give you until 6 tomorrow.
No reply from little American friend, as of yet.