a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Property in the Legion

The_Cohort

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello All,

I have been reading through most of the threads and haven't seen any addressing the question of personal property. Are you allowed personal property such as laptops, cameras, iPods, etc? Do you have a space where you can secure such items? I understand these would not be allowed during basic and initial training, but what about once you arrive at your first station.

A bit on me...I have been serving in the U.S.A.F for over six years and am looking for a change. Specifically, I have a deep interest in Africa and would like the opportunity to serve there. As far as what I can offer the legion, I have military experience, over 100 freefall skydives, am SCUBA trained, a B.S. in Political Science, and am in pretty good shape (can easily pass all the sport test requirements, but as always am striving to improve).

Thank you for any help.

Blue Skies

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Yes you can have personal property (especially after basic training) and just like in every armed forces of this planet, you will have your own locker where you can keep your stuff.

mad jock

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Yes you can have personal property (especially after basic training) and just like in every armed forces of this planet, you will have your own locker where you can keep your stuff.

just remember the age old saying you can trust a fellow soldier with your beer and your life but not your kit or your wife

soldierC

Reaction score
Home Country
England
just remember the age old saying you can trust a fellow soldier with your beer and your life but not your kit or your wife

I rememeber seeing many a squaddie koo'ing over someone elses kit uttering the famous words "ITS SHINY AND ITS NOT NAILED DOWN!" :D

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
it also depends on which regiment you go to. For example in the 2REI you need a permission from the captain to get a laptop. And that wont happen before you get your real name back. (at least 1 year of service) Also stuff like mobile phones with cameras are not allowed. Of course you can always get them... for example a mobile phone is pretty easy to hide from the MP. :p

But seems like you got a damn nice job in the air force, why the hell would you want to throw that away and come to the legion? Probably 95% of the legionnaires would gladly change places with you. :D

The_Cohort

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Very helpful indeed.

@Mammikoura: Well as I understand it, everyone who seriously looks into the legion has a story of some sort and I am no different. My time with the AF is likely coming to the end over a incident with a close friend who I got in a tiff with and told to F*ck off. She retorted by telling the leadership all the hugs we had done in the previous two years prior constituted "unwanted sexual contact". This whole situation has left a bad taste and I'd rather go to the legion then go back enlisted. In fact, a part of me is more interested at the prospect of becoming a Legionnaire than at even becoming a Comm officer.

Hroflr Grimm

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Don't burn any bridges, you never know when you'll need it. And a prospect of trying to join the FFL dictates you leave plenty of bridges unburnt. Exit your situation with all dignity and honour possible and I wish you the best of luck and good fortune at the gates of Aubagne.

mad jock

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
The local pawn brokers always took a battering after a tour :D either that or the lads had been to Argos!!

nah ratners before it went bust, and somehow the wives got their hands on it before we got off the bus sometimes, will never forget coming back from xmg to colly jumps off the bus to the dazzling sight of cheap bling and soverigns and the immortal cry " AWRIGHT GEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZEEEER OWS IT BEEN OFER DA WATER, ME AND JUNIOR WAS MISSING YOU LLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDSS WE WAS!!!"

soldierC

Reaction score
Home Country
England
nah ratners before it went bust, and somehow the wives got their hands on it before we got off the bus sometimes, will never forget coming back from xmg to colly jumps off the bus to the dazzling sight of cheap bling and soverigns and the immortal cry " AWRIGHT GEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZEEEER OWS IT BEEN OFER DA WATER, ME AND JUNIOR WAS MISSING YOU LLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDSS WE WAS!!!"

******* quality.

British army wifes = Chavs lol
:D