Pensioner checks/proof of service

Hi, this is my first post. Thanks for letting me in. Hope this is the appropriate forum.

My family lore says my great grandfather was a member of the FFL. If true, he likely would have served between the 1870s to 1890s. Some cousins claim he would receive monthly checks from France, possibly related to service in FFL. So far, nobody has any artifacts like uniforms or medals to corroborate this. I've seen other posts that referred posters to the FFL in France, but I understand that records that far back are likely non-existent.

I can find no record of my great grandfather between his stated birth in 1857 to 1900 when he first shows up on the U.S. census. One cousin claims he spoke with a French accent. However he was supposedly born in Georgia, so that seems implausible.

Would anybody have some insight about what else to look for or find other proof?

Much thanks.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Hi, this is my first post. Thanks for letting me in. Hope this is the appropriate forum.

My family lore says my great grandfather was a member of the FFL. If true, he likely would have served between the 1870s to 1890s. Some cousins claim he would receive monthly checks from France, possibly related to service in FFL. So far, nobody has any artifacts like uniforms or medals to corroborate this. I've seen other posts that referred posters to the FFL in France, but I understand that records that far back are likely non-existent.

I can find no record of my great grandfather between his stated birth in 1857 to 1900 when he first shows up on the U.S. census. One cousin claims he spoke with a French accent. However he was supposedly born in Georgia, so that seems implausible.

Would anybody have some insight about what else to look for or find other proof?

Much thanks.
Try this site: http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/spip.php?rubrique18

You could write the address below, but I think you would have to know his Legion name and number (matricule)

Le lieutenant-colonel
Le directeur du Bureau central d'archives administratives military.
Caserne Bernadotte
64023 Pau cedex
France
Tel: 05.59.40.45.56 Tel: 05.59.40.46.92 Fax: 05.59.40.45.53

Most viewed threads of the week