a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outline of my life so far - what to leave out/in

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
  • Pretty 'normal' western childhood until about 14. Just caused trouble in the neighborhood and played video games.
  • Around 14-15 had conduct disorder-like behaviour: breaking into cars, lighting fires, stealing, drugs etc.
  • Expelled from school at 15 for theft
  • Moved to boarding school, got most of my shit together and finished high school. Played sports and stuff.
  • Moved to city to study engineering at uni. Took me 3.5 years. Developed problems with drinking/drugs/gambling for middle 2 years, then stopped.
  • Joined army reserve, but couldn't get top secret security clearance due to said drug use so corps changed to engineers.
  • Currently doing engineering work & army stuff - plan to do this for another 1-2 years before going to France, to pay off debts.
Is there anything here that the Legion would be particularly concerned about? For the most part I am not still doing any of the bad behaviours. They got me into a lot of personal trouble but nothing much with the police other than a warning for importing class A drugs. No criminal record.

What about stuff that the Legion would want? Stuff that I should make sure they know about because it'd look good?

Cheers.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Frenchforeignkiwi. Are you thinking of joining the legion, If yes, let us know a bit about your preparations and when you are are thinking of going. How old are you? Are you married, Any children?

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Frenchforeignkiwi. Are you thinking of joining the legion, If yes, let us know a bit about your preparations and when you are are thinking of going. How old are you? Are you married, Any children?

Yes, looking at heading over in a year or so, just got some things to sort out here first and learn some French. A big part of me is tempted to just pack my shit for France right now but it'd have bad consequences if I ever wanted to come back. Fitness wise following an adaptation of Stoeng's programme. Currently run probably a 12+ in the luc leger, can do ~20 pull ups ~50 press ups. Recently thrown pack marching into the mix starting at 25kg for 4 hours and plan to work up to around 35kg for a comfortable 9 hours. In my early 20's, single, no children.

There are a few reasons I want to join the Legion:
  • I hate (hate) civilian life, but the NZ Army I think is too soft and doesn't deploy enough, and not into many combat operations.
  • I want the adventure and a challenge, as cliche as it is. I want to get away from here and if I hate the Legion then home will still be here in 5 years.
  • I just want something different. I don't give a shit about a civilian career. It's boring and anyone can do that.
That's me I guess. Anything else let me know.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Yes, looking at heading over in a year or so, just got some things to sort out here first and learn some French. A big part of me is tempted to just pack my shit for France right now but it'd have bad consequences if I ever wanted to come back. Fitness wise following an adaptation of Stoeng's programme. Currently run probably a 12+ in the luc leger, can do ~20 pull ups ~50 press ups. Recently thrown pack marching into the mix starting at 25kg for 4 hours and plan to work up to around 35kg for a comfortable 9 hours. In my early 20's, single, no children.

There are a few reasons I want to join the legion:
  • I hate (hate) civilian life, but the NZ Army I think is too soft and doesn't deploy enough, and not into many combat operations.
  • I want the adventure and a challenge, as cliche as it is. I want to get away from here and if I hate the legion then home will still be here in 5 years.
  • I just want something different. I don't give a shit about a civilian career. It's boring and anyone can do that.
That's me I guess. Anything else let me know.
Fitness wise you look pretty good mate! Get on the plane already!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hey listen mate, why don't you inquire about the PRLE in Tahiti. It's a hell of a lot less to travel and would cost a lot less than going to France. Check out their website and if need be get in touch and I'll get the Missus to write you an inquiry letter. Hey if a kiwi cannot stand together than where are we going from there?

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey listen mate, why don't you inquire about the PRLE in Tahiti. It's a hell of a lot less to travel and would cost a lot less than going to France. Check out their website and if need be get in touch and I'll get the Missus to write you an inquiry letter. Hey if a kiwi cannot stand together than where are we going from there?

What is the PRLE? I googled but didn't find anything

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Katalmach, sorry my fault. It stands for Poste de Recruitement de la LE. This may be a coincidence but I was just looking at the site (in French):
tps://www.tntv.pf/La-Legion-etrangere-ouvre-un-bureau-au-fenua_a23222.html
to see if there is any info about (other) foreigners being able to join. Tahiti being a French overseas territory.
"Au début de l’été 2018, ce poste sera également capable d’accueillir, en cas de besoin, des candidats en provenance des autres îles de Polynésie et qui n’auraient pas de famille sur Papeete."
Which says that the post beginning in summer'18 will be able to take on (accept), if necessary, candidates from other Polynesian islands who do not have family at Papeete.
One thing worth noting is that in the article it is described as an information post, for the moment. In other words you go there ask your questions and if you are interested they can do the first tests there. Where as a recruiting post such as Paris and Strasbourg etc. you can stay in the barracks until going to Aubagne or not accepted.