a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other FFL-Like Programs

Regenstone

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about joining the FFL, but I am still not sure about the contract length. 5 years may be too much. Are there other foreign-volunteer programs like the FFL? More to the point, similar but shorter programs.

Thanks.

PS if this has been answered elesewhere, my apologies. I could not find a relevant thread, however.

kiwi

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
To the best of my knowledge there is the Israeli Foreign Legion which is more of a Volunteer scenario. None the less, you get to play with guns and chase people, though I believe this is done in more of a Urban Police sense of things.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Regenstone said:
Hi,

I am thinking about joining the FFL, but I am still not sure about the contract length. 5 years may be too much. Are there other foreign-volunteer programs like the FFL? More to the point, similar but shorter programs.

Thanks.

PS if this has been answered elesewhere, my apologies. I could not find a relevant thread, however.
You can join the Spanish Legion and the Luxembourgeian army if you are a legal resident in Spain (have a job and Spanish legal satus) and are a EU citizen with resident status in Luxembourg for six years or so but I don't the minimum duration of contract for either outfit.

dietrying

Reaction score
kiwi said:
To the best of my knowledge there is the Israeli Foreign Legion which is more of a Volunteer scenario. None the less, you get to play with guns and chase people, though I believe this is done in more of a Urban Police sense of things.
The IDF pretty much guaren-flucking-tees you'll see combat, as well.
However, the IDF has some pretty tight age restrictions. Perhaps nashkon (sp?) can help us out here, but I think they cut off at about 23 or so, where as the ffl goes on to 40

dietrying

Reaction score
additionally, for a British commonwealth citizen, you can join the ANZAC armies relitively easily.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
dietrying said:
Perhaps nashkon (sp?) can help us out here, but I think they cut off at about 23 or so, where as the ffl goes on to 40
If I recall correctly, Bob W also mentioned he'd be willing to help out if people PM him about it.

BobW

Top Member
Reaction score
Bonjour Eagle Eye and all,

I offered to share my publicly gained info I have on the forum pages.

Daily, I get about 75 hours of email reading which obviously I can't get to. Thus, I try to avoid PMs and email (courriel electronic).

Saluations,
BobW

Nakhshon

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
The following official websites would be informative:

For Jews, 18-23 years old (very nice website in any case):

http://www.mahal2000.com/

Male and female volunteers aged 16 to 85 (SAREL program for civilian volunteers):

http://www1.idf.il/DOVER/site/mainpage.asp?clr=1&sl=EN&id=7&docid=18682

As BobW said, the SAREL program would be a very good way to see things for oneself, and "get an in" if one is interested in proceeding further.

I might add, that if one has some "special qualifications" and is not too old (I would say under 27 years old or so), there are several "unpublicised" posibilities even for non-Jews, but once again, a program like SAREL would be a good way to "get noticed"...

Happy Holidays,

---Nakhshon

Regenstone

Reaction score
Obliged

However, I'm neither British, nor Jewish, nor Spanish. I think my only chance is with the FFL then. Thanks for your help.