a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old age wannabe.. trying to join this year

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tammerfors.

The 'Young Turks' in training with you may be faster out of the starting blocks. However when it comes to mental fortitude, maturity and the ability to 'yomp' march on the older guys are more resilient . Many of the younger colleagues will not be so resilient under the stress. That is and should be your advantage.

So you and Saccade take note.

And I can kick arse at 78 +.................in my dreams !

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Tammerfors.

The 'Young Turks' in training with you may be faster out of the starting blocks. However when it comes to mental fortitude, maturity and the ability to 'yomp' march on the older guys are more resilient . Many of the younger colleagues will not be so resilient under the stress. That is and should be your advantage.

Note taken, thank you for couraging words.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Tammerfors.

Krav Maga those bitches up Chas !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Krav Maga those bitches up Chas !

There are one or two that I have in mind. However I shall leave it to namely; She who must be obeyed at all times.
A former Hong Kong Police Auxiliary senior martial arts instructor. But since they are all going they may(?) remain safe.
I however remain as usual, a cowering wimp, when the boss is in a bad mood ? lol Thankfully a very rare occurrence.

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
5k jog today... Maybe it ain't so much but it's hell-uva-lot to me. Might be first time ever in my life that I got that far.. Somekind of milestone at least..
3 full pull-ups.. also, not that much, quite miserable some might say, but best I can do right now.. Progress is slow, but it's steady.. but somekind of progress is happening.. luc-leger, not level 7 yet.. my goal is above that, slowly but steady. Not giving up, this just an update.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
5k jog today... Maybe it ain't so much but it's hell-uva-lot to me. Might be first time ever in my life that I got that far.. Somekind of milestone at least..
3 full pull-ups.. also, not that much, quite miserable some might say, but best I can do right now.. Progress is slow, but it's steady.. but somekind of progress is happening.. luc-leger, not level 7 yet.. my goal is above that, slowly but steady. Not giving up, this just an update.

Keep going man, any progress is good progress.

A few years ago I was a couch potato.
I couldn't jog a single kilometer without nearly vomiting, I couldn't even do 5 push ups and I couldn't do any pull ups whatsoever that's how pathetic I was.
No I'm able to run 10km (I just need to set the right pace and increase at the end of the run), I can do around 30 push ups in one go and 8 pull ups. I never go to the gym or anything, I just try to stay active instead of sitting at home like I did when I was a kid.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

Tammerfors do better! Remember, when we from this forum go to selection, we need to KRAV MAGA THOSE BITCHES UP !

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Tammerfors do better! Remember, when we from this forum go to selection, we need to KRAV MAGA THOSE BITCHES UP ! ��

He's just giving an update on how his prep is going, and it's obviously a marked improvement for Tammerfors. Its obviously nowhere near Legion standards but it's a good start.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Keep going man, any progress is good progress.

A few years ago I was a couch potato.
I couldn't jog a single kilometer without nearly vomiting, I couldn't even do 5 push ups and I couldn't do any pull ups whatsoever that's how pathetic I was.
No I'm able to run 10km (I just need to set the right pace and increase at the end of the run), I can do around 30 push ups in one go and 8 pull ups. I never go to the gym or anything, I just try to stay active instead of sitting at home like I did when I was a kid.

That's awesome!
Have you tried GTG (Grease the Groove)? I was able to get my pullups to 15/16 depending on the day after just a few months from about 3 or 4 when I started. Also doing progressive pushups so let's say you are now at 30, do 3 sets of 30 every day. Then next week 3 sets of 32 or 33, and so on each week. Very small increase, but it is doable and you constantly push yourself. I do overloads as well, when I can't do anymore pushups, I drop my knees and crank out as many knee pushups as I can until I collapse. Do that about once a week and you will really start to get it going.

To hit your back from a different angle you should do inverted rows, it helps your pullups and you can use it as overload training to at the backend of your pullup session. I have a tension pullup bar that I put in the door frame, I lay down in the door way and set the bar at the height where when I grab from a prone position I will be about 1 inch off the floor. Then pull yourself up to the bar, feet are on the floor, legs straight. At the very end when you can't do anymore you can 'cheat' by putting your feet flat on the floor and bending your knees to help you get a few more reps.
[video=youtube;XZV9IwluPjw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZV9IwluPjw[/video]

Anyway, keep it up! :D

Auroris56

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That's awesome!
Have you tried GTG (Grease the Groove)? I was able to get my pullups to 15/16 depending on the day after just a few months from about 3 or 4 when I started. Also doing progressive pushups so let's say you are now at 30, do 3 sets of 30 every day. Then next week 3 sets of 32 or 33, and so on each week. Very small increase, but it is doable and you constantly push yourself. I do overloads as well, when I can't do anymore pushups, I drop my knees and crank out as many knee pushups as I can until I collapse. Do that about once a week and you will really start to get it going.

To hit your back from a different angle you should do inverted rows, it helps your pullups and you can use it as overload training to at the backend of your pullup session. I have a tension pullup bar that I put in the door frame, I lay down in the door way and set the bar at the height where when I grab from a prone position I will be about 1 inch off the floor. Then pull yourself up to the bar, feet are on the floor, legs straight. At the very end when you can't do anymore you can 'cheat' by putting your feet flat on the floor and bending your knees to help you get a few more reps.

That's awesome!!:cool:

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
That's awesome!

Good stuff!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

.. let's kick some ass and we can do it. We have no time being little girls selling scout cookies to neighbours..." You are off to an excellent start. Don't try to increase every day, but make your runs and pull ups more often. And don't forget you can do a few sit ups and pushups before starting the day. Keep us informed of the progress as you now have followers.

I'll be personaly looking out for you to see how you're getting on. Set yourself a goal each week and try and make it. In the words of a great American Aircraft carrier "selling scout cookies to neighbours stops here."

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
.. let's kick some ass and we can do it. We have no time being little girls selling scout cookies to neighbours..." You are off to an excellent start. Don't try to increase every day, but make your runs and pull ups more often. And don't forget you can do a few sit ups and pushups before starting the day. Keep us informed of the progress as you now have followers.

I'll be personaly looking out for you to see how you're getting on. Set yourself a goal each week and try and make it. In the words of a great American Aircraft carrier "selling scout cookies to neighbours stops here."

Slowly add the distance. Work in some speed intervals. Go to a Track, sprint the straightaways then slow slow jog around the curves almost a walk but not a walk. Get in a minimum of twelve laps like this. Also, a good way to build body strength. If you are at home and watching television, every time the program takes a commercial break do 10-push-ups and 10-sit-ups. Also, start slow, 4 miler, get a good back pack and load it with a sand bag 20KG or 40lbs, depends your unit of measure. Do the hike (hump) at a 4 mile an hour pace. do this once a week and increase your distance slowly.

The speed work and the humps will get you ready.

HOWEVER, IT IS NOT ALL PHYSICAL, IT IS JUST AS MUCH MENTAL AS IT IS PHYSICAL.

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
The move on video is really good, that's exactly what i've been doing everytime in the gym so far and got results. Reps should increase sooner now that i have gained strength. Thank you for positive comments, and feedback, it helps.

I still don't fully understand the meaning and essence of that krav maga quote, but i'll figure it out sooner or later :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The move on video is really good, that's exactly what i've been doing everytime in the gym so far and got results. Reps should increase sooner now that i have gained strength. Thank you for positive comments, and feedback, it helps.

I still don't fully understand the meaning and essence of that krav maga quote, but i'll figure it out sooner or later :)

Even today people are studying confucious.
When you can snatch the pebble out of my hand you will understand the meaning of the Krav maga quote. In the meantime keep training hard.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Krav Maga is the Martial Arts of the Israeli Military

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Even today people are studying confucious.
When you can snatch the pebble out of my hand you will understand the meaning of the Krav maga quote. In the meantime keep training hard.

In the Marine Corps there is a reading List for every grade/rank. Tsun Tsu is required reading and so are a great many books. A good one too is Rifleman Dodd, it is a short read but a very good read on insurgent tactics. I f I recall right, Rifleman Dodd is one of His Majesty's Finest, he gets cut off from his Regiment or Company and he finds himself behind enemy lines. Rifleman Dodd assembles a small insurgent force made up of the locals and he begins to harass the enemy lines and logistics, he takes it upon himself to fight this insurgent campaign. The book helps one form an understanding for military tactics.

Here is a PDF of the Commandant's 2017 Reading List it is broken down by Rank enlisted and officer:

http://guides.grc.usmcu.edu/usmcreadinglist

For ease, there is a PDF File for the reading list, lower left corner. I tried to load the PDF but the forum will not allow it. The PDF has all of the reading list broken down form enlistee to read before Boot Camp, Junior Marines, Intermediate Marines, and Advanced Marines, of course all by Rank; however, one can read from any list one chooses to read from. The reading list is meant to develop one into a professional Marine Warfighter and build an understanding of tactics, loyalty, and so on.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
In the Marine Corps there is a reading List for every grade/rank. Tsun Tsu is required reading and so are a great many books. A good one too is Rifleman Dodd, it is a short read but a very good read on insurgent tactics. I f I recall right, Rifleman Dodd is one of His Majesty's Finest, he gets cut off from his Regiment or Company and he finds himself behind enemy lines. Rifleman Dodd assembles a small insurgent force made up of the locals and he begins to harass the enemy lines and logistics, he takes it upon himself to fight this insurgent campaign. The book helps one form an understanding for military tactics.

Here is a PDF of the Commandant's 2017 Reading List it is broken down by Rank enlisted and officer:

http://guides.grc.usmcu.edu/usmcreadinglist

For ease, there is a PDF File for the reading list, lower left corner. I tried to load the PDF but the forum will not allow it. The PDF has all of the reading list broken down form enlistee to read before Boot Camp, Junior Marines, Intermediate Marines, and Advanced Marines, of course all by Rank; however, one can read from any list one chooses to read from. The reading list is meant to develop one into a professional Marine Warfighter and build an understanding of tactics, loyalty, and so on.

Thank you so much for this USMCRET, this is great stuff for anyone wanting to be a soldier or with a love of military history and memoirs, tactics, strategy and the interplay of politics on military campaigns and the rise and fall of nations. Great stuff!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you so much for this USMCRET, this is great stuff for anyone wanting to be a soldier or with a love of military history and memoirs, tactics, strategy and the interplay of politics on military campaigns and the rise and fall of nations. Great stuff!

Glad to help all the Aspirants. There is a reading list for what we call poolees, poolees have enlisted and are awaiting their ship date to Boot Camp, some have to finish high school and graduate first. On recruiting duty we have to prepare them for training, we take them on runs and so on. The reading list is a good list and there are many things to learn from. I particularly like Rifleman Dodd, it is a good book, a short one, to read, especially for young Legionnaires, Marines, or the Aspirants waiting to go for selection.