a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old age wannabe.. trying to join this year

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Hello guys..

I'm just another scandinavian wannabe, trying to make something out of my life.. Nothing has worked out for me so far, no job, no wife, no family, no life..
I'm 32 years old and really trying to get that second chance... I do have some previous military experience basically from finnish army which is conscription, so every male citizen has to get throuh with it.. My service was only 9 months long, I was a radio communications guy back in -05

I do have a relative, my grandfathers brother, who was a legionnaire, he fought and died in the battle of Dien Bien Phu.. So obviously, my family doesn't want me to join but I really haven't talked about it with them because they just try to talk me out of this.

I just want to do something with my life.. to be somebody.. instead just collecting social wellfare checks and sippin' beer in my couch. To be proud of something I have accomplished, and I believe from my heart that legion is a place I can call home. In my country a legionnaire is a respected man, as like every other soldier.. The late Karl Peters (Pietiläinen, legionnaire for 28 years) who just died a week ago, is considered as a war hero, and has somewhat a celebrity status in this country, due to the pride of our soldiers during ww2... Now I don't want to be a hero, I just want to make something out of my life.. I know I can do better than this, just don't know how....

So, I'm training hard, I'm not good at running, or pull-ups, but I'm training.. And as soon as I can hit those pull-ups and luc-leger levels, I'm gonna fly out and take my chances and do my best.

This forum and you guys have given me major good knowlegde, and I thank you for that. Way better than any youtube content (there are a lot of people talking fake shit)

If I'm sent home, at least I gave my best shot, and then I'm free to pursue other things.
I salute you guys, respect, and I hope I can call you guys my Brothers some day.

I have spoken :)

DownAnOut

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
Good luck you on the right track, pm me if you have any questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Good luck. No job and no wife etc. It seems like the type of thing the legion is looking for. It's been said before but worth repeating, as you will be older than most of the other candidates, you will have to be above average on the fitness level.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
You are NOT old. haha
You won't be at much of a disadvantage, but being over 30 you need to be in extra good shape to allay their worries that you might not be able to keep up, or might be injury prone etc.

Otherwise your motivations and circumstances look good as others have said. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN...but be very progressive, step by step. Consistency is more important than mega long sessions...establish a base of training and do it daily for calisthenics and do the running 2-3 times a week to start and build up from there...be very careful to not over do running and it is actually not a bad idea to take a week off after your 3rd or 4th week of full run training (3x a week for distance). This will rest your legs, shins, feet, ligaments and help prevent shin splints and overuse injuries.

Go for it.

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Otherwise your motivations and circumstances look good as others have said. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN...but be very progressive, step by step. Consistency is more important than mega long sessions...establish a base of training and do it daily for calisthenics and do the running 2-3 times a week to start and build up from there...be very careful to not over do running and it is actually not a bad idea to take a week off after your full 3rd or 4th week of full run training (3x a week for distance). This will rest your legs, shins, feet, ligaments and help prevent shin splints and overuse injuries.

Go for it.

Yes, this happened couple months ago when I started.. Did every beginner mistake I could, running too much too often so my legs gave up. It was a major setback for couple of weeks when recovering. But I definetly learned from that.

I know very well that I might fail, and keeping that in mind I'm arranging civil life before I leave.. For example, I have a dog, but instead of putting her to sleep or giving her away completely, I've managed to found a place where she will be taken good care of, and I'm able to get her back to myself if my trip to France ends up being for like 3 days.. so this kind of stuff, I have to be realistic about things.

Thank you guys for comments, I appreciate it. Keep them coming, I will read, and learn.
That said, now it's time to put shoes on and go for a little run.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Yes, this happened couple months ago when I started.. Did every beginner mistake I could, running too much too often so my legs gave up. It was a major setback for couple of weeks when recovering. But I definetly learned from that.

I know very well that I might fail, and keeping that in mind I'm arranging civil life before I leave.. For example, I have a dog, but instead of putting her to sleep or giving her away completely, I've managed to found a place where she will be taken good care of, and I'm able to get her back to myself if my trip to France ends up being for like 3 days.. so this kind of stuff, I have to be realistic about things.

Thank you guys for comments, I appreciate it. Keep them coming, I will read, and learn.
That said, now it's time to put shoes on and go for a little run.

Good, thank goodness you didn't put her down! Damn. But yeah sort things out. I was ready to leave my town and even my country no matter what, love it, but needed a big change in life. I sold almost everything, two cars, got rid of a great apt, sold most of my belongings and put the rest into long term storage. Worked out even though I didn't pass selection as I had nothing to tie me down when I went back and ended up leaving 6 weeks after I got home from France for another job internationally where I have been ever since.

Take the opportunity to change your life NO MATTER THE RESULT. Good luck man, I wish you the best and that this leads you to take the steps necessary for a better life.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Your situation is pretty similar to mine, so what to say... Prepare yourself, go there and Krav Maga bitches those up bro! ;)

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Your situation is pretty similar to mine, so what to say... Prepare yourself, go there and Krav Maga bitches those up bro! ;)

Yeah, everything is said already. Knowledge I have. Only thing left is to go and kick some ass and earn that Kepi and show the world I made it. Rest is up to myself, Nothing else matters. Thank you for your support guys!

saccade

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Jeez - I'm going to be 37 this year. Won't make the trip to Paris until 37.5 ans.
Age is a state of mind (only as old as the woman you feel, or something).

Don't make me feel old, putain :p

I've had my ass kicked by a 70 year old, but can still wipe the floor with some young-bloods.

You're not old.

You are tempered by experience and in prime of life.
Just... maybe need a mindset that says, "I will not fail because I have prepared to the best of my ability".

This can only be achieved through adequate preparation - Physical is easy to change (merely training over time, doctrine) but mental "I'm a bum so may as well..." might prove more difficult to develop this fortitude, given current situation (interpretation of state of mind, creed).

No "wannabe", no doubt. Boots on the ground and keep moving. Get up. Keep moving. Throw up. Keep moving. Drag your mates if you have to. Even if they are assholes.

Bonne chance, ami!
Entrainer dur, combat facile.

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Jeez - I'm going to be 37 this year. Won't make the trip to Paris until 37.5 ans.
Age is a state of mind (only as old as the woman you feel, or something).

Don't make me feel old, putain :p

I've had my ass kicked by a 70 year old, but can still wipe the floor with some young-bloods.

You're not old.

You are tempered by experience and in prime of life.
Just... maybe need a mindset that says, "I will not fail because I have prepared to the best of my ability".

This can only be achieved through adequate preparation - Physical is easy to change (merely training over time, doctrine) but mental "I'm a bum so may as well..." might prove more difficult to develop this fortitude, given current situation (interpretation of state of mind, creed).

No "wannabe", no doubt. Boots on the ground and keep moving. Get up. Keep moving. Throw up. Keep moving. Drag your mates if you have to. Even if they are assholes.

Bonne chance, ami!
Entrainer dur, combat facile.

This is golden.. This is absolutely fantastic :) I love it..
I wish you make it bro, I wish we be there together. I will drag you bro if I have to,you can vomit to my shirt and I'll say thank you sir, may I have another one :)
You are absolutely right, let's go, let's kick some ass and we can do it. We have no time being little girls selling scout cookies to neighbours.. You are absolutely right my friend.
Let's do it, thank you!! We might drag each other but I won't let you go. God Speed my man, I will see you in Castel, and that's a promise I can keep.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
This is golden.. This is absolutely fantastic :) I love it..
I wish you make it bro, I wish we be there together. I will drag you bro if I have to,you can vomit to my shirt and I'll say thank you sir, may I have another one :)
You are absolutely right, let's go, let's kick some ass and we can do it. We have no time being little girls selling scout cookies to neighbours.. You are absolutely right my friend.
Let's do it, thank you!! We might drag each other but I won't let you go. God Speed my man, I will see you in Castel, and that's a promise I can keep.

Tammerfors have you taken inspiration from Auroris56's posts ? "... let's kick some ass and we can do it. We have no time being little girls selling scout cookies to neighbours..."

It's good to be enthousiastic, but temper it down a little. Avoid throwing up on each other whilst in Aubagne. Once you have made your point on the pullup bar and the Beep tests, be the grey man. Once in Castel you can drag comerades, whether they need it or not, throw up over people, even defecate on them if you thing it might help. Although I'm not sure that would convince the chef de section that it would motivate someone.

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Tammerfors have you taken inspiration from Auroris56's posts ? "... let's kick some ass and we can do it. We have no time being little girls selling scout cookies to neighbours..."

It's good to be enthousiastic, but temper it down a little. Avoid throwing up on each other whilst in Aubagne. Once you have made your point on the pullup bar and the Beep tests, be the grey man. Once in Castel you can drag comerades, whether they need it or not, throw up over people, even defecate on them if you thing it might help. Although I'm not sure that would convince the chef de section that it would motivate someone.

Had few beers when writing, got caught up in the moment. Obviously I'm not gonna throw up on anyone, at least not on purpose..
I shouldn't write in the middle of the night anymore, sorry.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Had few beers when writing, got caught up in the moment. Obviously I'm not gonna throw up on anyone, at least not on purpose..

No need to apologize, certainly not to me anyway. Do you know the Krav Maga motto? If yes, stick to it.

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
31 year old fella going for a second time too this year. Good luck to you and maybe we'll meet at Aubagne or even Castel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

That explains things. You sound like a normal guy before that message.;)