Old age wannabe.. trying to join this year

UPDATE

Got my plane ticket to Marseille today. Leaving in early January. I've been having some injuries while training but everything seems to be going well right now.
Things are moving forward, and that's a good thing.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
UPDATE

Got my plane ticket to Marseille today. Leaving in early January. I've been having some injuries while training but everything seems to be going well right now.
Things are moving forward, and that's a good thing.
Good luck Tammer!
I see I'm not the only one who has injured himself recently, hope you get better quick.

Maybe we will meet in person when we both get in, eh?

Good luck Tammer!
I see I'm not the only one who has injured himself recently, hope you get better quick.

Maybe we will meet in person when we both get in, eh?
Thanks mate, you too

I've been chatting around with couple of fellows here on the board and they all have said that there have been injuries. People are training hard.
So you're not alone on that one..

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Train hard, but don't over do it. Take it easy on the last week before you you go. Remember you (most of you) are still young, you do not want to 'peak' yet.

Well, there's been at least some improvement more or less in different areas. I can handle the beep test and so on.. In long distance running there have been ups and downs.
I won't be the fastest guy, or the strongest in the selection but I'm confident I'll do alright.

As I have trained, I've also doubled my eating, and therefore gained a bit of a belly, didn't see that coming :)

Cernunnos

Pro Member
In long distance running there have been ups and downs.
You get that, some days you will do really well and some days you'll just do terrible.
It's important not to worry about it, all runners have days where they just don't do as well as they know they can do.

I always found breathing tricky, sounds weird but if you can get your breathing right and keep it right then you can go a lot further than you would if you were just breathing naturally.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Yes. Right breathing is very important for running. Of course, you have to develop certain lung capacity and oxygen absorption (increase number of red blood cells and what not) in order to use that trick with breathing.

I can tell you guys that I was a heavy smoker, so when I run I just try to breathe anyway I can :D As time goes by, it has become easier, I quit smoking 6 months ago when started training for this legion thing.

P.S. Dusa, when are YOU going?!

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
You get that, some days you will do really well and some days you'll just do terrible.
It's important not to worry about it, all runners have days where they just don't do as well as they know they can do.

I always found breathing tricky, sounds weird but if you can get your breathing right and keep it right then you can go a lot further than you would if you were just breathing naturally.
From my personal experience, the main thing not to do is, shallow breathing. Make sure you exhale as much as possible during running long distance. It may seem unnatural at first, but once you can control your breathing, you probably can run twice as far than without proper breathing.

Good luck mate, i'll be leaving mid October, got to get in better shape before leaving but running better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely right about breathing. If u have done boxing or mma and use the same principle of exhaling while punching or kicking. I find this helps me a lot while running. Slow steady inhaling and fast push exhaling.

I'm 37 and will hopefully end up knocking on the door at 38. Fitness is definitely key. I too used to be a couch potato and now I'm running 9 minute miles and trying to get it down to 5-7 minutes. Pull ups are still a work in progress. But I believe, as everyone else in the forum here will agree, fitness is only half the battle. The mental game is another one. But I'm sure you'll be able to do it with your age, as we've been through a lot in life. All the best of luck and hope you make a killing at your selection.

Apologies in advance for asking this, but at the age of 38ish, is there any opportunity for old farts like me to still try out for DINOPs or CPG? Of course, I would get my fitness squared off right away, but just wanted to ask if older recruits had opportunities for specialized units.

Jeez - I'm going to be 37 this year. Won't make the trip to Paris until 37.5 ans.
Saccade, are you still around?

MixedRaceDude, thanks, and you too. When are you planning to leave?

When I made this thread I thought that 30+ candidates are a rare thing, but since then I've learned that there are many.

Saccade, are you still around?

MixedRaceDude, thanks, and you too. When are you planning to leave?

When I made this thread I thought that 30+ candidates are a rare thing, but since then I've learned that there are many.
Hey Tammers,

I'm planning to go to France at the end of 2018. Sometime in September. It's because am in the middle of doing my vocational diploma in IT and Cyber Security and once I get that sorted, along with some of my language certifications to show the 'Gestapo' that I'm (hopefully) a 'beneficial' asset to La Legion, it will boost my chances. at my age, I've got to seriously impress them and not take anything for granted. I've only got one shot at this.

Most viewed threads of the week