a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sure if this is the place for farewells

91-R

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am taking an enormous liberty, to post the face that goes with the Name, Gatorojo (Redcat) aka Bart.
Taken at West Point A.D 1961. You can now come and be the ghost that drinks all my beers. Cheers Bart, Love you! :)

View attachment 4497

The first thing to hit me was, what an impressive picture. Hollywood actor good looks. Surely a person who instilled confidence.

Aalk12

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The first thing to hit me was, what an impressive picture. Hollywood actor good looks. Surely a person who instilled confidence.

Only the best and brightest make it to the Long Gray Line and then to go Airborne ATW he was surely a great man. It's easy to be skeptical about officers but everyone I've ever dealt with from the USMA whether they were 22 y/o 2LTs or 40 year old Colonels just carried something special. Some serious balls to volunteer for that in the early 60s as well. But I think his words especially on her showed what kind of man he was. I didn't know the man but I sure wish I did.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Only the best and brightest make it to the Long Gray Line and then to go Airborne ATW he was surely a great man. It's easy to be skeptical about officers but everyone I've ever dealt with from the USMA whether they were 22 y/o 2LTs or 40 year old Colonels just carried something special. Some serious balls to volunteer for that in the early 60s as well. But I think his words especially on her showed what kind of man he was. I didn't know the man but I sure wish I did.

What a send off! Thankyou bro's Bart dammit! save me a seat up there In that great hall. maidens jugs of wine feasting and all our brothers with us!

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ossie,

thank you. I will be sending the family a card and a personal letter. Goddamn it, this is a hard time. I never met the man but he made such an impact on me and He will be missed dearly. I can only hope I do half of what he did in life. Once more, Bart, we all miss you my friend and my heart is sore right now but I will work through it. Thank you Bart for all the inspiration. Thank you so much. (tears)

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I will send his widow,Susan,a short letter of bereavement on his passing and be sure to mention how much Bart was loved on this forum.
Oz,
I had quite a few PMs with him and he was a genuine guy. I knew of his illness for some time. I cannot think of anyone who carried such a burden with more dignity than he did. Not a bitch or a moan about it and always asking after me and mine or others here. 'Trooping the line' is the Old Army expression when officers used to walk their lines and check on their men.
Bart was Airborne Artillery. He was born at Fort Screven, a Coastal Artillery post along the Georgia coast. His dad was 18th Infantry regiment stationed there and then went 11th Airborne during WW2. Tell her from us that what ever songs they sing at his service and wake, to make sure they are LOUD. He was born into this world with the sound of loud guns and bugles and so with such, he should leave this world.

Grupo_Ocho

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It was a pleasure knowing you Bart, I can only hope I have the strength of character you have displayed the last few years. Your "legend" will long outlive what people knew about you. Godspeed my friend.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Bart I am sorry I wasn't there to say properly goodbye, they say you shouldn't cry after a soldier but its hard not to cry after a friend, though I am sure you would tell us to cheer up and have a drink in your name rather then be sad. I am proud and grateful that you referred to me as a friend and as a brother, I always thought we would meet some day somewhere and have a drink together but it seems that will have to wait for a while. You will be missed by your friends here on the forum and we will never forget you ! Many are born but few live their lives to the fullest and have no regrets and are able to look to death with peace in their hart, and that is the most important thing in life because we do only have one and what we do now will stay for ever in the universe. You were a real warrior a paratrooper, elite among soldiers and soldiers don't die, soldiers regroup ! I will also try to live my life to the fullest and do more than I did up until this point I promise you this !

Rest in peace Bart you earned it !

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Just come back from the hols with my family and it is shocking to read this about Bart's passing away. Had some pm's with him and had a lot of respect for this genuine soldier who was always looking after his fellow soldier/paratrooper.

Rest in peace and with a heavy heart i will raise a glass in your honor tonight and think of how much you will be missed.

Grupo_Ocho

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
"A few days before his death, former paratrooper and U.S. Army Captain Barton "Black Bart" Patrick Chambers promised his beloved wife Susan he would stick around long enough to kiss her on their upcoming wedding anniversary.

He kept his word, making his final jump early in the evening of the 27th of July.

Bart was the first of two children from the marriage of Barbara Barton Chambers and John Harlan Chambers, and was born 10 May, 1939, at Ft. Screven, GA. His sister Beatrice was born four years later.

A warrior born to warriors, Bart and his father were both West Point graduates. Bart's was the class of 1961. After West Point, Bart attended Officer's Artillery and Jump School courses, serving at Ft. Sill, OK, Ft. Bliss, TX, and Ft. Benning, GA. Next he was shipped overseas to West Germany, to serve with the 81st Airborne at Erlangen and Wiesbaden. After his tour in Germany he returned to Fort Sill, where, in 1966, he was severely injured in an auto accident. Due to his disabilities, he was Honorably Discharged in 1967.

Two years later, Bart went to work for the government as a civilian undercover agent in Vietnam. At the time, aiming to debilitate U.S. troops fighting in Vietnam, the Vietcong was heavily involved in the drug trade. By any perspective, at the time Bart's was one of the most dangerous jobs one could have, in one of the worlds most dangerous places.

Bart's Vietnam adventure ended when he was shot five times by someone he trusted. That he survived the ordeal was a miracle, and he carried one of the bullets in his abdomen the rest of this life.

His hard-charging military and intelligence work had come to an irrevocable end. Shipped back to the States, he recovered and eventually found work as an engineer with a Washington DC construction firm.

If you assumed this adventurer was a macho-man with little depth, you'd be wrong. As a son, a brother, a husband, and a friend, you couldn't find a warmer, more loyal, more consistent and more generous character. He was well educated and a voracious reader. During his later years, one of his favorite pastimes was to sit in his living room reading poetry while stroking Waldo the cat, who lay across his lap.

Bart was spiritual, not religious, and he loved life, the outdoors, and nature. Although it paid well, his engineering job didn't satisfy; in 1978 he found the job that he loved for some twenty two years - at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association. In keeping with his keen concern for nature and conservation, Bart worked at Coastal Zone Management, involving marine biology and the ecology.

His entire working career was spent on behalf of the country and land that he loved. Retiring in 1999, he took residence in Pensacola where he romanced and married the lovely Susan Orcutt-Roberts, 27, July, 2001. Later that year, Bart's sister Beatrice passed away.

Bart is survived by his loving wife Susan, her daughter Danielle and husband Jeff Koehler and their sons Jaxen and Tysen, whom "Papa Bart" treasured; and by the many paratrooper reunions across the country, where he and his friends could visit and jump together once more, for the sheer fun of it.

Bart's family and friends will privately celebrate his remarkable life at Rodizio Grill, 605 E. Gregory Street, Pensacola, from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM, on 23 August. No flowers, please. Bart was a strong supporter of Doctors Without Borders. Many thanks also for the wonderful cancer treatment provided Bart over several years, by Dr. Thomas Tan, of The Woodlands

Geronimo Bart, happy landings!!"

ETA: from the Pensacola News Journal

Last edited:

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
View attachment 4535

Ocho, thank you for filling in so many details about our cherished friend and fallen comrade.

In one of my conversations with Bart we were discussing brothers in arms from different backgrounds and heritages. I had mentioned training a fine young Sikh officer in the late 80's and eventually meeting up with him after our crossing of the Arghandab river during Op Medusa in 06. I told Bart that I would look for the photo and sadly I didn't find it until today.

Gentle winds and soft landings.

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
G8 Thankyou for that fine bio.

I was not surprised to discover the depth of his service. I fell short of his measure in my time in the US Army so it is of special importance to me that Bart never judged that.

... Like you, I will miss him.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
It's great to find out more about his life, thanks G8. He was a bad ass with a big heart. Great man. We need more of his like. Plus right here we can see the quality of the man by the way he conducted himself, the advice he gave and friendships he forged.

S

Sarahlouise

Unregistered
Bart's family and friends will privately celebrate his remarkable life at Rodizio Grill, 605 E. Gregory Street, Pensacola, from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM, on 23 August.

I'll be doing the same (local time) as well.

Grupo_Ocho

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'll be there ! Could not miss it if I wanted to. Geronimo Bart ! Right down the road from me.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
When you raise that glass, so many of us will be raising one as well. Thanks for being there.

Airborne All The Way.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 44