a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New website with books about the FFL

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I can only say, nice reads. ( was hoping for some non fiction and read perhaps something about people i might know) and to Greyman. Great work and chapeau to you. You might seem to be a blunt guy in your posts but turned out to be a nice guy wit a great heart.
First of all Greyman is a great guy, not many would go to so much trouble. You have to remember it's not just for me but others wanting to get an inside idea of the legion.
Sarajevo, what you said said about non-fiction is a really good point. I only regret that when I worked in the museum I hadn't thought of it. I had access to all the official documents, reports, history books etc. As well I got on with the Adj/c later major and a civvy historian who worked benevolent. I could have gathered all the information I wanted.
I did get the rapports on the kolwezi jump but wanted to make a 'story". So although most of the skirmishes did actually take place, our hero steals the lime light by being in nearly all. It is a fictitious book after all.
Some other things are documented also. The parachutes, mentioned already in the forum. The planes wheel getting a flat. The medical antenna being in the second wave, Very import, the Para regiment on alert Guepard (fast reaction alert) being on leave. I have actually seen the telex's concerning this incident. The regiment is deliberately not mentioned. The helicopters landing on the parade square of 4 RE to pick up the REP men on courses. Lack of munitions, maps and so forth.

Greyman

Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Hey guys I just noticed I had disabled Joes 'About Me' page on his website.. not sure when I did it but I have reactivated it.. so his website might have had some broken links, and the 'about me' page may have been missing over the last 6 hours or so. I only just noticed as his website traffic had stopped traveling via his 'about me' page so I figured something must have gone wrong.. I've fixed it now.. Sorry about that.. this is the page link here if anyone who looked at it in the last six hours missed it.. again my apologies..

http://www.legionnaire-joe-of-the-french-foreign-legion.com/the-french-foreign-legion/

Last edited:

91-R

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Greyman you're a standup guy to help someone out like that. Your time must be getting short, so good luck with the FFL.

tcerqueira

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
w0w that's was very enlightening !!
thanks for sharing i really appreciate, if i join the legion in april, maybe i would choose the 2rei, but i would like to see if i can handle the commando jungle course by 3rei

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
w0w that's was very enlightening !!
thanks for sharing i really appreciate, if i join the legion in april, maybe i would choose the 2rei, but i would like to see if i can handle the commando jungle course by 3rei
You'll have to ask some of the 2REI guys but they used to do four month tours out there. We had some with us during a mission profond. I even saw one legionnaire, Irish or English, he did his two years, went back, had his CFC (leave) and a month after joining 2REI came back to Guyane on tournant.
Joe
www.legionnaire-joe-of-the-french-foreign-legion.com

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Joseph and grayman well done! I have not had time to go through everything but from what I've seen so far awsome! Grayman great job on the site! and Joseph I see a lot of talent there! for obvious reasons I will save reading about the kolwezi op until later! from an ancien you make us proud!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joseph and grayman well done! I have not had time to go through everything but from what I've seen so far awsome! Grayman great job on the site! and Joseph I see a lot of talent there! for obvious reasons I will save reading about the kolwezi op until later! from an ancien you make us proud!
Thanks Mark, as I have said, it's a story (researched) but the hero is in most of the firefights and the gory bits. Your praise is much appreciated.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm at bangkok airport, we're flying early morning to Ethiopia and then on to Mali to start a new life. I'll let the forum know more about it later. Dead expensive here for internet.
Back to you see. Joe

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Good luck to you, may it be all you hope for!

ben vosloo

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
I'm at bangkok airport, we're flying early morning to Ethiopia and then on to Mali to start a new life. I'll let the forum know more about it later. Dead expensive here for internet.
Back to you see. Joe

That is an interesting choice of country. may i ask what the attraction is?

i recently finished reading "devils from heaven". Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to you and Greyman for making it available to all of us here.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That is an interesting choice of country. may i ask what the attraction is?

i recently finished reading "devils from heaven". Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to you and Greyman for making it available to all of us here.

Hello everyone, I'm in the throes of taking over operations manager for G4S Mali. In other words responsible for 1300 (Mali) guard. We have the US and Canadian embassies among others. I've only been here a couple of days but some of the things you have to deal with are amazing; guards leaving their posts, sleeping on guard, not just nodding off, laid down on a mat and sleeping. Guards not turning up for work, uniforms in shit state. Signing in to take their post and then going home. They know the punishment; 3 days off work, no pay, but that doesn't bother them.
For those who have never been to Africa, it's hot, smelly, dirty and the roads are few and far between. I get paid very good money which helps to put up with it.
The person passing over the "consignes" letting me know what I have to do, is an ex-legionnaire. The managing director is away half the month in Mauritania, which leaves me in charge for the rest of the time. He's coming back tomorrow. He's an ex-legionnaire. I was his boss in the US consulate general in Marseilles, now he's the managing director of Mali and Mauritania. He was the one who got me the job.

Reaction score
Home Country
Colombia
hello good morning Joe how are you, and good morning to all the friends of the forum, is. Nice to meet you again. Joe tried to enter the link you left but does not load the page.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Maybe war will end when people stop going hungry. I feel bad as an American because we take all the stuff. Maybe we should give back to Africa and the czheck republic so that everybody can play PlayStation; without worrying if its the last time before your numbers called in lottery to go to the Legion. Because you can’t add more to the city, Boundaries or you’ll have to keep expanding. Though they build subdivisions in America everyday. There’s not enough room and eventually every countries boarders touches the boarders of another country.

Attachments

• 012DAED2-2D09-48BD-809D-0CB1DFA436C4.jpeg
    012DAED2-2D09-48BD-809D-0CB1DFA436C4.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 0

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Maybe war will end when people stop going hungry. I feel bad as an American because we take all the stuff. Maybe we should give back to Africa and the czheck republic so that everybody can play PlayStation; without worrying if its the last time before your numbers called in lottery to go to the Legion. Because you can’t add more to the city, Boundaries or you’ll have to keep expanding. Though they build subdivisions in America everyday. There’s not enough room and eventually every countries boarders touches the boarders of another country.
So you think famine is main reason of wars today? And you think people in Czech Republic are hungry? According to this they are on not so bad 40. place for GDP-PPP.
Also famine is more or less thing of the past. Agriculture advanced so much that we can easily feed planet. Only problem is to transfer food to those who need. So, today hunger usually occurs in places were humanitarian help can't reach because of war, not other way around. E.g. Saudi Arabia kicking sh$t out of Yemen every day, making them hungry (they were poor even without the war) so people actually dying out of hunger. That is rare places today where people are hungry, but you rarely see anyone writing and reporting about because everyone like oil cash from SA so they can buy newest PlayStation because one from last year os already obsolete.

I would agree with you that your country making a lot of conflicts today, but stop with that white guilt crap. Is not average Joe who doing that, but certain elites.

And, your solution for conflicts in Africa is: "Just pour money on them and everything would be fine". Are you aware how ridiculous that sound? :) Stop, you sound like miss universe winner. Joe Cos was in those parts of Africa multiple times so maybe he can tell us what would happen if someone would do that? I got some ideas, but would like to hear his opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Dusa,

I've got an opinion famine in Africa, of course. However I prefer to keep it to myself, especially as as I'm hoping to go back there (soon?). And this is after all an open forum.
Which brings me to the title of the thread, Facebook. I'll open a thread about my latest idea a bit later on.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hi Dusa,

I've got an opinion famine in Africa, of course. However I prefer to keep it to myself, especially as as I'm hoping to go back there (soon?). And this is after all an open forum.
Which brings me to the title of the thread, Facebook. I'll open a thread about my latest idea a bit later on.
I was interested in your opinion on would happen if someone try to resolve some conflict in Africa just by giving them money?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I was interested in your opinion on would happen if someone try to resolve some conflict in Africa just by giving them money?
It would be the same answer, 'the 5th amendment'* :whistle: :coffee: :)

*Often, only two groups can plead the fifth: A defendant who is being charged with a crime and is refusing to testify in their own trial. A witness who is subpoenaed to provide a testimony in a criminal trial and is refusing to answer specific questions if their answers could be self-incriminating.

But more interesting is my thread on my new facebook page (still to come - both the thread and the facebook page)