a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Legion doc: 90’ Enquêtes - “Légionnaires : 8 semaines dans l'enfer de la jungleâ€￾

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thanks for this post Sas. Of my time at the 3rd I spent about half in the jungle and I recognized some of those areas... They seem to have expanded somewhat from what I remember. A few things, if you're going to build a raft (there are a whole lot of trees to choose from) whittle some of the wood of the trees you've selected and throw it in the water. (Hint: choose the tree whose shavings float.) Regarding the obstacle courses, technique is key. It's a great environment when you learn to be comfortable within it. Imagine hearing a Morpho butterfly clack it wings about 50-75 feet away before you see it. It's quite a sight to see that flash of colour under the forest canopy. Or have a large deer come out of nowhere and stand in front of you within the same distance, sensing but not being able to see you. For some of the assholes I was with, their first thought would have been to kill it rather than appreciate the privilege to have seen something like that. Regarding jungle combat, I would have liked to have seen things like making bamboo shivs, building man-traps and other silent but deadly encounters. I don't think much was mentioned about the mountainous interior which is a treat... You need ropes/vines in some places. There is also gold... I found more than a few flakes the size of my little fingernail in some of the oxbows of the creeks/streams that were encountered.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
‘Starring’ ACH Acevedo, 22 years in the Legion, successor of the famous ACH Lopez (portrayed in several other similar documentaries).

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
‘Starring’ ACH Acevedo, 22 years in the Legion, successor of the famous ACH Lopez (portrayed in several other similar documentaries).
I was wondering about him...

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Lopez was a fing nutter but really knew his shit about the jungle, wonder if he ever went home.

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
I still remember what he said in the beginning of 6 weeks of green hell. “For some legionnaires this is hell and I am the devil, but to know what hell looks like you have to visit it.â€￾

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Great watch!. Also, What happend to Lopez?. Retire?...3REI also looked like home to me..

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Im hoping he is still out there passing on knowledge to the legionnaires,but there is a possibility he retired, he was 49 during 6 weeks in green hell.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
he is probably still out there in the jungle somewhere.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
What I liked about some of the training (ie. bound hand and foot swimming) was that the instructor wanted his boys to hit that edge, either they'll panic or they'll come close to passing out trying to achieve their objective or they'll succeed by controlling their emotions and learning the proper technique on the fly. They get fished out in the first two and a smile in the third.

A couple of things, has anyone ever been swimming and tried to overcome stomach and/or leg cramps..quadricep for example. You'll sweat. To avoid being a mobile lunch bucket, you'll have parasites both internal and external. For the external ones like blood suckers and ticks...it's always handy to have a small mirror to check yourself over to find them...you don't want to have Leichimaniose developing unexpectedly. The internal stowaways don't like garlic-like substances, black acidic coffee..etc. The mini-bestioles, microbes and fungii that will seek to make your body a home are plentiful and knowing a bit of tropical pathology helps.

One thing that wasn't mentioned, maybe it's a secret Shhhh..., but there was a Legion bordello (for lack of a better word) where you didn't need a shot of penicillin after visiting. Is that building still open for business? It had some nice artwork behind the bar. Aside from that locale, there were a number of other places not too far from the base where you could get laid for a price (and yes, penicillin was obligatory afterwards). And aside from that, there were a few bars with rooms in the back...and with some of the Brazilian women, you had to be in damn good shape + have stamina...again, penicillin was obligatory.

Last edited: