a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ne Pas Subir

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Not strictly about the Legion but a few of the old Lads here who did the course back in the day will have a laugh at this 1981 doco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_HM0QDP-IQ

Really looks interesting. Though I HATE heights I have done some climbing and zipline and rope stuff before...I don't enjoy it in the least but it's nice to see how you react to these things and learn the skills to overcome fears or problems.

mulgarat

Actual or Ex Legionnaire - Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Really looks interesting. Though I HATE heights I have done some climbing and zipline and rope stuff before...I don't enjoy it in the least but it's nice to see how you react to these things and learn the skills to overcome fears or problems.

Remember once doing the high wire. Got the lanyard, harness and carabiner from the Moniteur and noticed that the carabiner was stuffed, in poor condition, would not lock and wouldn't even close! Went up and showed him and an NCO standing near by said, "its good enough and if it isn't tough shit, you like everyone else here is expendable now f*ck off". I watched the NCO trying to shake a Stagier off the single taught line which was suspended about 100m above rocks but who absolutely refused to drop as he was meant so he could demonstrate a remount. The Legionnaire eventually gave up and let go as the Sgt Chef bellowed at him and the lanyard, attached to his Carabiner, caught his fall . The Moniteur must of seen the terror in my eyes at this stage because he came over and gave me a new Carabiner.

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Very enjoyable. Fond memories.

The one at old castel had a three-pole climb to a 30 ft platform and a pile of rocks to jump into. I went right behind a fat Belgian and landed on him instead. I got a bollocking and a slap and he got sent to infirmerie and a broken arm.

The one at Arta had the names of the guys who died on it painted under a skull on the side of the cliff face. Parky had a rotten safety line that would have parted if he had to do the remount. He was lucky. The cadre used to throw stones at us on the double lines as we crossed.

AS Tommo says, everybody was expendable.