a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Myself, the legion and tattooes..

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So I am pretty confident its been hashed out many of times with or without accuracy or a true specific answer. It has been said and not said that you can and or cant have tattooes in a certain place on your body, like your neck, hands, etc..

Now some (who have served) say its ok and others have also said that it is not ok. NOT that any of these answers are wrong or incorrect or entirely correct. My personal take on it is that it lies in the hands of the legion officers entirely, regardless of where the tattooes are and how many. Now this link CLEARLY would define that the answers is that YES, you can have tats on hands, neck, fingers, etc.http://foreignlegion.info/2013/07/08/french-foreign-legion-tattoo/

Also an abundance seems to be accepted, too.

I think that any man who has posted any answer in the past, present or future IS AND WILL NEVER BE WRONG in what he post about tattooes and the Leigon. I believe that every answer will be right based off of personal experience and or core conviction or a combo of both. I think the potentional of the man far out weighs the mans tattooes and the amount he may or may not have. Clearly from this link we can see that the tattoo question is almost entirely answered with this link, however, additionally, I think this doesn't entirely answer it either. Because as we know and have seen. Some get in covered in tattooes and some do not. I am going to dig for the pic I found, But it clearly shows a man in the Legion with STITCHES or marks looking like this (- - -CUT HERE- - -) tattooed across his throat, and has the 2REP tattooed on his hand, too. And his knuckles. Clearly that is a very direct and uinderstood tattoo.
So now I add, please each of you look to my profile and look at my album I created of myself and my tattooes, which these are NOT ALL of them...and judge for yourself..would "I" make it in or not with this amount of tattooes...and clearly we should know and take note...it really is 50/50
Any answer is a correct answer to the best of our knowledge. Thank you folks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theatrum-belli/sets/72157606273472581/show/with/4557690774/

This link is a slide show ...let it play out, but you will see the pic of Legionnaire eventually with the CUT HERE tattooed on his neck. I could save the pic because that was disabled on the site...but you will see what I mean.

Last edited:

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Each regulation, no matter how cut and dry it may appear can be open to interpretation by an NCO or officer. If you show up with your 'I f*ck for chocolate bars' tattooed across your forehead, you might not make the first impression that you are hoping to make. My advice would be not to get a tattoo prior to applying and once you're accepted into your regiment, see what's acceptable. If you ask a barrack room lawyer question on the internet, you're going to get a barrack room lawyer answer. If you already have a tattoo, let's hope it's something that does not bring discredit to the organization whose ranks you hope to grace.

Something to consider, tattoos that draw unnecessary attention to yourself might be cool in the pub in front of the ladies, but when you're wearing a pair of orange Taliban issued coveralls, you might hope they don't see your 'Pork Eating Crusader' tattoo on your chest.

Steve

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It is good I dont have "I F*ck for chocolate bars" on me anywhere. The tattooes are for me alone and my story thus far in life. Not for the ladies or pubs, however, I have had numerous compliments on my artwork.

O

Ossis. O

Unregistered
Gentlemen,Think before you ink! Like with all other decisions one makes in life,some have after-effect repercussions.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yes, good thing I have nothing offensive, Like racist tats or swastika or gangs or anything like that..But, its anyones guess...right?.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Yes, good thing I have nothing offensive, Like racist tats or swastika or gangs or anything like that..But, its anyones guess...right?.
I checked your profile, yea a lot of tatts. It's the one(s) on the neck that might stand in your way. You often see legionnaires with the traditional swallows on their neck and love hate on their knuckles. Were they there when they joined I've no idea.
DC you're going for a third time, as greyman said that takes balls. Remember with your tatts you will be standing out a mile. That's more reason then ever not to get yourself noticed unless it's to volunteer for any and every job around. Remember you will be going on work details around the camp, museum, kitchens, or to puyloubier. Even if the person in charge does not know your name he'll describe you as the 'ricain avec les tatouages' Now he might be talking about you to compliment you on your work or the opposite.The former would be best. Put up with Aubagne for the 2/3 weeks and then instruction. After that, a legion tattoo, who knows.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Oh yes Joe cos. Yes as a third time, it sure does take some balls. Thank you. You know When I first tried I joined In Paris at Fort de Nogent. I was there 10 days before being shipped to Aubagne. As you stated, LOADS and LOADS of cleaning. Now of course I DID NOT have these tattooes then and also the second time I joined, either. You know I dont regret any tattoo I have. Now whether It gets in my way of getting into the Legion, I will find out. The thing that I learned from my Second try and ultimate failure(half failure, because I was told yet again to try again in 18 months) is that When I went the second time, I dont think I was fully ready. Heres what I did before joining...Got really drunk for a week straight with Cpl K. Which probably wasnt a good idea. But you know what?. NO REGRETS. Secondly, this time I go..I am going with a Degree and actually being able to read, speak and write the French language with 2 years of it under my belt From My College I attend now. It is true, I shall stick out. Maybe more then I should..But this is My pilgrimage and what ever may be on that path, shall be. I certainly hope to make all proud on the board..and I wonder...How many men went for a third time..and better yet, how many went twice..let alone twice. But all in all, I think no matter what happens this third time, at least I will know I poured my freaking heart into it. Accepted or not, I was faithful to my word. Anyway, enough of this banter about it..we all know I am going back a third time and I hope to letting you men know here one of these days that it is true, even a man who tried for a third time, covered in ink and not an angel, can get into the Legion. Thank you Joe Merci a vous!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It has been known for some to try a second time. I knew two N.Irish who did it. One was from Larne, he tried to join at 17. The legion said that they required authorization from his parents. He went back at 18. I was in Guyane with him. Arms covered in tatts about what religion he was, either a protestant or catholic, can't remember. He was then in my room in the CEA in the REP He did his 5 and joined the Brits. He came over with a bunch of Brit squaddies to do the GR20. March through the Corsican mountains. Sadly he passed away.
The second was from Belfast. Again arms covered in tatts, he was the same religion as the first. We were on the same detachment for Guyane and although different CIEs we kept in touch in the foyer. We spent our time afterwards in La Malmousque together.
His story is different in that he deserted during his instruction the first time. He then came back. He was put in my section (I was a CPL) and when it was over we both went to Guyane.
But that was in the past. DC, the fact that you have learned French will be in your favor. It also means that when they are looking for volunteers, you understand. If they say 5 volunteers, they are calling out your name.
Rest up a day in Marseille before going to Aubagne. Bleary eyed and looking the worse for wear won't go done well. When I say rest up, that's getting over the jet lag and staying off the demon drink. I've got a chang beer next to me as I compose this. But as I have said before I'm not going to join the legion.
Give it all that you have. Joe

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Clearly, you are determined to see through your best chances to join.

If you think your ink might impede your mission, why not get them zapped off?

Its just money, time and pain.

You can say, quite rightly, that they are part of who you are and where you have been. But you probably know all of that will be irrelevant once you get to a regiment and there is another axiom of military life, particularly selection, is 'Do Not Stand Out'.

Your ink and voicing any of your political views may inhibit your ambitions.

The language will be very good asset.

Why risk your last shot when you have worked so hard?

FWIW, It is difficult for many of us Anciens to remember wanting something so much... but we did.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
The tattoo your talking about with the guy with cut here across his neck is hanging on the wall in fort nogent. Seen it when i was there, thought it rather amusing

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Also its just of my opinion that i think you have to many on your neck and hands man. You just need to have a think about you are representing the legion and do they want a guy with all this over his hands and neck? Obv you wont know until you go and find out but no one could actually answer that except the recruiters.

Greyman

Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
If you think your ink might impede your mission, why not get them zapped off?

Its just money, time and pain.

You can say, quite rightly, that they are part of who you are and where you have been. But you probably know all of that will be irrelevant once you get to a regiment and there is another axiom of military life, particularly selection, is 'Do Not Stand Out'.

Your ink and voicing any of your political views may inhibit your ambitions.

Ouch.. almost every inch of his front torso, neck, arms, upper thighs, and hands are covered.. (at least that is all I can see from his pictures.. there could be more).. I wonder if it would hurt as much to have them removed as it did to have them all put on.. my mind boggles

Jefferson'86

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ouch.. his entire front torso, neck, arms, upper thighs, and hands are covered.. I wonder if it would hurt as much to have them removed as it did to have them all put on.. my mind boggles

ouch? OUCH? Fvvckin OUCH? Try Stage Tireur D' Elite or Stage Commando or the prelims for the Kepi Marche for Fvvckin OUCH! The PC at 42 degrees in East Africa with a hang over and the clap... Guarde 02:00 at La Jasse in February.... ouch indeed, sir.

Last edited:

Greyman

Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
ouch? OUCH? Fvvckin OUCH? Try Stage Tireur D' Elite or Stage Commando or the prelims for the Kepi Marche for Fvvckin OUCH! The PC at 42 degrees in East Africa with a hang over and the clap... Guarde 02:00 at La Jasse in February.... ouch indeed, sir.

LOL! Fair call.. oh and YES PLEASE! Minus the clap, have managed to avoid that thus far ;)

Jefferson'86

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You're still young. Have some ambition.

Off to work.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Jeff, I went to La Jasse too. As far as I know It doesn't belong to the legion anymore. And ouch was right. Remember that freezing dormitory with the lit picots? The Gipsy caravan type cooking hut? The freezing showers and washing your kit down in the stream. Yea OUCH.

Greyman

Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Your still young. Have some ambition.

LOL! Yuck! My ambition is to continue smashing box without EVER getting filth in my _ _ _ _ .. lol.. funny shit.. made my night :D .. have a good one.

(I bet this post won't be here for long LOL! Still laughing :D )

dkaiser

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
When I was there, there was a guy from LA on the other side of the fence who was obviously a gang member and probably an ex-con, with gang tattoos all over his head and neck. I don't think they give a shit about them.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
To respond in no particular order to all. Yes I have My legs done, too. Including both knee caps and feet ENTIRELY. Half of my back. It is true that it MAY(may is a word, discretionary) impede my chances, you are ALL correct here and I do NOT dispute this. French will certainly be in my favor, too. I just have to see this through and I will regret it if I do not. Perhaps the "Gods" will smile on me this third time, I dont know. I am not religious but respect each individuals core conviction. As for removing them, lasering them off?. That is a possibility, however, each tattoo that is 2x2 take 12 sessions at 5 minutes a piece and 100 usa dollars each session. So you have seen all my ink, I think if I took a guess, might cost something like?. 250,000?. IDK, just wild guessing. But all in all everyones concerns or remarks are all valid and I shall say it like this?...I am going anyway:)

Also, I dont know if you can see in the pics, but my armpits are tattooed, too. As well as BOTH ears from the inside out. I have spider webs coming out of each in on each ear...Wonder if the legion has ever seen a man with both ears tattooed from the INSIDE out?.

Last edited:

bobdemar

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Back in the day......I served in the 1st REC beginning of the 90's. I went to Bruno's in Paris bought all my tattoo gear and went to work in our peloton's magasin. They didn't care one bit as long as I wasn't doing racist Nazi stuff. Good damned memories...I still have all the gear too. I don't know what things are like now but as they say....good things never last long.