a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My way of taking control of my life

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Hello everyone, thanks for approving me. I am excited to go and try to join this upcoming May.

I am from Mexico and currently unemployed. Graduated college last year and haven't been able to find a job. I went to military school in the US for 3 years, but I know this will be 10x harder if not more. Truth is, even though I was fed up with military school I made some of my best memories and do miss the environment more than I admit. I've spent the last 5 years trying to find out what I would want to do with my life. I wanted to do a masters in Australia, but don't have the money to afford it. Don't qualify for scholarships because I didn't graduate from a school in Mexico and doing a masters in the US is ridiculously expensive.

I got the idea to join the Legion from a crappy actions movie from the 90s with Jean Claude Van Damme, but the more I started reading about it, the more I got interested. There is absolutely nothing else I can see myself doing. I hate the idea of having a mundane routine and a soul sucking office job. I never saw myself in something like that and the only reason I got my degree was because it was expected of me.

I was planning on leaving in August because I heard it is better to go during winter. However, after researching and asking around on reddit I've come to the realization that there are factors beyond my control that influence whether I get accepted or not. I figured might as well just go and try sooner than later. Plus, I am better prepared for any training I have to do during warmer weather than in cold weather (lived in a desert my whole life). If I have to compete with 100, 200, 300 guys then so be it. I will go and try my best. Whatever happens, happens. At least if I get rejected, I will be at peace knowing that I tried. Honestly, I haven't felt this determined in years.

As of right now I am learning some basic french and preparing myself as much as I can physically. I plan on going to the recruitment office in Paris. In case I don't get in, at least I have the Mexican embassy close by to ask for help.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Welcome to the forum mate, keep practicing your french and get into good physical shape. Heed the advice of the Greens and Reds and enjoy the Forum!

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Welcome to the forum mate, keep practicing your french and get into good physical shape. Heed the advice of the Greens and Reds and enjoy the Forum!
I absolutely hated french in middle school and never tried. I told myself "when am I going to need French?" and fast forward to 10 years...here I am trying to learn it again. Luckily it is easier coming from Spanish to French. So far it's not as hard as I remember it. Maybe because my mentality and attitude towards it changed

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Hi Waffle and welcome
May is in a couple of months, are you ready ?
I'm feeling determined, decided, and motivated! I spend my days training, resting and planning just in case for any unexpected scenario. I've been reading some of the old posts/threads here and it's given me a lot more info. I feel like I am ready to go right now, but I am also aware that I could be even more ready if I use the next 2 months wisely

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I got the idea to join the Legion from a crappy actions movie from the 90s with Jean Claude Van Damme, but the more I started reading about it, the more I got interested. .

:) Ooh did you? You should pay attention on this lines in movie :

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Wow! I just got revelation about this lines in movie. Understanding the language somehow it never make much sense until now.

Lady (bitch , in this case :)) says:
So I need your cooperation. And I promise you, as soon as Atilla's finished ripping him apart, I will hand him over to you as is. What do you say, guys?
Obviously skyrocket his opponent and despising Van Damme.
And than that Yugo say in Serbian:
First he gonna beat him. Then he gonna Fuck him!
I always thought that Serbian guy talking that against Van Damme because of all heat between them etc. Bot NO! Only way that sentence would make sense is if he was talking about Van Damme's opponent! It's have to be that way! And that is really incredible representation of comradeship and "Honor and Fidelity" even in moments like those!

After all heat and trouble with Van Damme's Serbian guy character still have absolute confidence in fellow Legionar and that's relay priceless!

Is not some great movie, but after this new revelation I have to watch it again.

My interpretation of that lines are definitely right. It just simply can't work other way around. I mean wow! It's just make me love FFL more and brings tears to my eyes!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Also, amigo there is two Van Damme movies about FFL. One I mentioned -Lonheart (1990) and Legionnaire (1998). Which one inspired you?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi WaffleOne and welcome to the forum. Please spare us which Van Damm movie inspired you to join. Learning French will help you out during your whole career.
May is when I joined up, nice spring weather leading up to summer. Good choice.
Good luck mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Wow! I just got revelation about this lines in movie. Understanding the language somehow it never make much sense until now.

Lady (bitch , in this case :)) says:

Obviously skyrocket his opponent and despising Van Damme.
And than that Yugo say in Serbian:

I always thought that Serbian guy talking that against Van Damme because of all heat between them etc. Bot NO! Only way that sentence would make sense is if he was talking about Van Damme's opponent! It's have to be that way! And that is really incredible representation of comradeship and "Honor and Fidelity" even in moments like those!

After all heat and trouble with Van Damme's Serbian guy character still have absolute confidence in fellow Legionar and that's relay priceless!

Is not some great movie, but after this new revelation I have to watch it again.

My interpretation of that lines are definitely right. It just simply can't work other way around. I mean wow! It's just make me love FFL more and brings tears to my eyes!
Dang that does give the scene a whole lot new meaning! I didn't think too much of it and not like there were any subtitles

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Also, amigo there is two Van Damme movies about FFL. One I mentioned -Lonheart (1990) and Legionnaire (1998). Which one inspired you?
Lionheart! I mean, he did desert, but he did it for a good cause lol

I did watch Legionnaire after only to realize that I had seen that movie years ago as a kid. I am assuming things aren't like they portray it in that movie anymore. (Like if you could just go and join right away without going through a selection process, yeah right xD)

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Hi WaffleOne and welcome to the forum. Please spare us which Van Damm movie inspired you to join. Learning French will help you out during your whole career.
May is when I joined up, nice spring weather leading up to summer. Good choice.
Good luck mate.
That's good to hear! I visited France 2 years ago during June and I remember it was a bit chilly. How was your experience when you joined?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
WaffleOne,

Welcome to the forum. Train hard and get squared away. No pain no gain. 3 years experience of military school in the US will be of little use to you except for the understanding the concept of discipline. The FFL will be a completely different in style and attitude. As for Van Damn or Rambo, neither would survive the training in the Legion let alone my old unit. Don't allude to the former or you will be reduced to ridicule.

Good luck.

Chas trained by former WW2 Cdos.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

I did watch Legionnaire after only to realize that I had seen that movie years ago as a kid. I am assuming things aren't like they portray it in that movie anymore. (Like if you could just go and join right away without going through a selection process, yeah right xD)

Actually... yeah. Back in a days (time " Legionnaire" is about) there was no much of a selection proces. Someone will look at you, saw that you are strong young man, 2 lags, 2 arms, all fingers and that would be that. Good to go. :)

And don't worry, those days no Serbian and black guy will be sent after you if you desert.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thanks for sharing this Dusa, it changes everything.

Already said, I get little over emotional in late hours. :) But now I'm putting myself on fast (fast like fasting, not like running fast. Have to putt my self fast on a fast :)), both food and beers (and bears :)), so my posts will be more consistently coherent. (hopefully).

Joe do you (anyone) keep your wing on beret after changing regiment? Is it possible scenario from movie where they are in Djibouti while having wings on uniform?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Men, Lionheart have like 2 scenes about legion. It's not even a movie about FFL. At least Legionnaire whole plot is about FFL. There is many other good movies about legion, We have whole thread on forum about movies

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Already said, I get little over emotional in late hours. :) But now I'm putting myself on fast (fast like fasting, not like running fast. Have to putt my self fast on a fast :)), both food and beers (and bears :)), so my posts will be more consistently coherent. (hopefully).

Joe do you (anyone) keep your wing on beret after changing regiment? Is it possible scenario from movie where they are in Djibouti while having wings on uniform?
Hi Dusa, to be quite honest I'm not sure that it is in Djibouti. I watched Legionnaire but can't really remember too much about the movie. But yes if you were in a REP in Algeria, you would have your para cap badge. The same as the 2 REP when they did compagnie tournante in Djibouti As for strutting around in combats with your brevet para up, no. Unless you were in tenue de combat parade, then you would also have your medals and lanyard etc.

As for the wings, once you get them up, you can wear them for your whole career, walking out uniform, tenue de parade etc, regardless of your regiment. In fact the French regulars who had been in the French regular paras before the legion, once rectified, can wear their brevet (wings), although they don't because it leads to embarrassing questions.

On the same note, an officer who did his para training, but has never served in a para regiment can wear a set of wings, but without the star at the bottom (first photo).
index.php
1519100136212.png

I sum up JC Vandamme with this interview given to French television, it's in French (most of it) but worth watching

Attachments

• 1519100071819.png
    1519100071819.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 32