a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My try this Wednesday Aubagne.

vytautelisss

Reaction score
Home Country
Lithuania
So last Sunday night, I got to Aubagne. Few hours had been walking around town, very nice place to live, so i tooked hotel in the monday morning coz it was starting to rain, and i was afraid of catching cold, or having lungs problems. I had slept in a hotel all Monday, taking shower eating and sleaping. Tuesday moning I went up the hill to preselection center. Said hello to a young Russian speaking sergeant, he showed me how I should do 7 pull ups, I did them, then we went inside, he explained how to do the test for the beginning. I had did the test, then he decided that I should do another time 7 pull ups, I did them. Then he decided that I wasn't good enough, and said bye-bye, come try after a month. ;(

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
A month ago I only had to do 5 pull-ups at the gate and only once. That was friday afternoon and next time we did those were on monday afternoon, and it was as many as you could get. The sergeant just didn't seem to like you for some reason or another. I didn't see such behaviour at all. It seems that it's a matter of luck and the mood of the dude if you even get pass the door. Really weird to hear this.. You could propably try again within a few days when theres another guy on duty.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) The sergeant just didn't seem to like you for some reason or another. I didn't see such behaviour at all. (...)
Vytauteliss said he did the pull-ups as required, but says nothing about the result of the test. As DCLXVI said it, that could be the reason for rejection. Or they have enough candidates to process and the cadre have received the instruction to turn down new candidates (which could be the reason why he was told to come back in one month).

vytautelisss

Reaction score
Home Country
Lithuania
I didn't have much money and went back to Lithuania. But all in all, this didn't look too professional from the Legion... About the test, everything was ok, I think that it was ok I didn't hear any bad words about this from the guy. And how to say maybe the reason was that I was too much worrying. Maybe that looked too funny but you know. You don't go to ffl, every day.
Also it can be the reason about the candidate numbers, I even know how many of the were in the evening before... and i saw two guys sitting and waiting. Interesting it will be how many candidates it is ok. in a month.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Try Paris... Aubagne might be a bit more hesitant in giving you a dismissal.

Etoiles_mortant

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
(...) But all in all, this didn't look too professional from the Legion... (...)
Which is why 99% of us have a small chance of joining the Legion.

Try Paris... Aubagne might be a bit more hesitant in giving you a dismissal.
From the stories I have read on these forums, Paris appears to be more favourable in general. The officials there seem reluctant to cut average-performing guys since they are only a pre-selection post and by the time you are sent to Aubagne you have demonstrated a tiny bit of motivation by wasting 10 days of your life doing nothing, which might push you ahead of other candidates.

That said, the random caporal / sergent that will block you exist everywhere. There are stories of candidates told to "come back tomorrow", which suggest that the NCO just didn't want to work that day.

All in all, you gave it your best shot. It's more than what 99.9% of the population will ever do. Well done. I hope I too have the balls of knocking the door some time in the future. Don't feel bad, you should be proud. Keep trying to improve and work on what you think is your weakness. One month is an extremely short period of time. Hell, they is also a rumour that they like people who come back for a second chance, shows extra motivation.

vytautelisss

Reaction score
Home Country
Lithuania
(...) All in all, you gave it your best shot. It's more than what 99.9% of the population will ever do. Well done. I hope I too have the balls of knocking the door some time in the future. Don't feel bad, you should be proud. Keep trying to improve and work on what you think is your weakness. One month is an extremely short period of time. Hell, they is also a rumour that they like people who come back for a second chance, shows extra motivation.
Thanks it was good words. After this try I went back home to Lithuania. I want to get my mind together, find another job, little bit to relax my brain from all this.

Theuglyfriend

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks it was good words. after this try i went back home to lithuania. want to get my mind together. find another job, little bit to relax my brain from all this
Good, gather yourself. No pressure to go back but that itch never goes away in some. Almost everything I’ve done in my life I’ve always had it in the back of my head. I’m going to the gate Tuesday. But after hearing your story it sounds like I’m fucked lol. Respect again for trying.

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Maybe it could be simpler to try in another office next time ?
That was my backup plan also but in a shorter timeline. I went in Friday afternoon and if I were to be told to come back Monday or Sunday I would take the train to Paris and try to enlist there the same evening.

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Welcome to the Legion... And if you do get past the gate there are lots more of stuff that don't make sense!
Yeah, but you're not paid for thinking, you're there to do what's told. I remember one time I was driving a lieutenant in the Finnish military around the base with a Jeep. Then in the middle of the barracks parking lot he told me to "Drift this Jeep here, that's an order". So obviously I couldn't get that heavy car to slide like it was suppose to so we just drove slowly really large circles about 8 times in the parking lot until he said Ok, enough. He never explained why to do this and I was too confused to ask. It didn't make sense then and has not ever. :cool:
Got a free coffee coupon to the cantine tho....

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It took me 2 attempts to join (both thru fort de Nogent )
1st time, in Octobre /November 81....i was 16 (in Scotland, you are considered as adult at 16 )
I went thru Dover, with a 72 hr excursion pass (for shopping purposes ).
I landed at Calais, it was cold and wet.I was hungry and thirsty and i had about 50 francs in my jeans.
I walked, non stop, to Arras, till late in the night. ..am tired, soaken wet, hungry and in dire need of a cup of tea.
I gets to the out skirts of Arras, its pitch black. ..after the last row of terrace houses, i stumble upon an allotment garden. ..i take shelter and tried some shrivelled roots, to eat (forget it )
Sun up, me too. ..and i weary on
Found the motor way, i hitched a lift (tho illégal )
Gets to Paris,finally. ..walks the street, with the same back pack,the same shoes, always the same shoes and i still haven't eaten
Asks a flic avec képi /a cop with a képi, "where is fort de Nogent "..he laugths and calls his superior.
Brings me into the cop station, asks me why i want to know where is fort de Nogent. ..i tell him i want to join the légion!
He showed me a métro map and indicated the directions to take. ..
He asked me if i had eaten...i replied, non!
He fetched me a sandwich, jambon fromage / ham and cheese with a glass of limonade Birra
Asked me if i smoked. .." Aye,please ".
He gave me a less than half a packet of Gitanes, no filtres
I get up to leave,goes to the door and leaves. ..steps out sides, turns left and walks. ..after a few, steps, looks back and sees this cop with other collègues looking at me. ..some are smiling or smirking, i do not know wich
Finds the métro, spend the rest of the day riding it..north,west, south, east. in circles. ..who knows ?
At last, am where i should be,but it is late. ..i find the fort, i chap. A person repliés, "fermez, come back tomorrow "....ouch!
Looking for à solution and decides. ..to sleep where i was (a few trees by there, just next to the fort. I make me comftorable. ..and the rain begins again. I wrap my towel around me and shiver till. ..the end of time!
When i awoke, ît was with a startle...buses were leaving the fort, full of legionnaires
I watch them drive off,some look towards me.,looking just like a wanna be drowned rat. ..i pick up my kit and arrange it in my back pack. Smoked a dreadful Gitan cigarette . The party is over, its time to know, lets go !
I approach the big wooden door, its open. I knock on wood. .."hello", I let myself be heard.
A legionnaire, with beard, in winter parade uniform (not that i knew this at the time) appears. Looks at me in a way that the Woolworths store détectives do...says some thing, i understand, papers
I hand him my papers, the 72 hour excursion pass, that i filled in myself at Calais, with out control. He takes my papers and pops back inside. ..few minutes later, a caporal chef, képi noir comes out and says, " sorry, but you are to young ", come back when you are 18 or 17 with your parents approuval. ..No words can describe the déception i felt at that moment
What happened to me after,is an even more intresting ..Chas said some thing about déception being a oppertunity for better things. ..could be true ! If you are a persisting bugger, like me, it might not. ..but thats another story
Le petit caporal

Last edited: