a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My journey thus far

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Greetings and salutations,
Well it's been 7 months of hard work and very little rest but I'm here in Calvi.
So I suppose that I'll tell you guys in on my travels through the system ETRANGER. After sitting in the Civil Cage in aubagne for 3 weeks I finally made it to blue phase. In this phase you are put to work all over 1er RE cleaning everything with the same rag you cleaned the last thing with. It's not a very sterile environment for people coming in. I literally cleaned coffee cups with a rag I cleaned a bathroom with. So that's pretty gross.
While in blue you are waiting for your tests to be finished. The test for some reason take everyone days to finish and no one thought it could be done in one day but for some reason I knocked all my tests out in one day.
You have to go interview with the gestopo, which for me was really easy. I kept my answers short and consice not volunteering any other info than what was asked. This generally takes people a day or two to get through but I guess I got lucky cause my interview was 20 minutes long then I was done. They ask you about your criminal history, family ties, and debt you might have. Look into your fb, ig, and any other social media accounts. I factory reset my phone before I went in and when they asked me when I had nothing on my phone I just said that's what I read online to do. I don't really use fb so when they looked on my fb there wasn't anything to worry about.
As far as criminal history I was honest, because you can Google me and see what I've done. But I never volunteered anything that they didn't ask. It seemed to work even though I was worried that everyone else took days to finish their interview.
Next was the psychological exam which was done by a pleasant French lieutenant lady who spoke very poor English. So with this I spoke simple and slow as to not confuse anyone. She asked my motivation for joining the legion, family ties, job history, leadership experience, schooling. Pretty much job interview questions. Again this took only 20 minutes but others took hours long. I don't know why.
The same day I took a swimming test at like 5 am on the coldest January morning. It was terrible standing outside wet. You swim, I believe 50 meters and your done.
Then after lunch the same day I did the tent test. You and like 7 others build a M. A. S. H. Tent that's supposed to be erected in 30 minutes. You're being observed while doing this. I think this is too determine your team working skills or leadership. I don't really know.
I was blue for one week and got selected the following Thurs. This time is just filled with working outdoors or in the kitchen and isn't very challenging. The hardest part is not getting sick. I got terribly sick as everyone does. So avoid people like they got the plague, because they do.
I should say that this is just my experience and I am not telling you what to do, just what I saw. Others may offer different advice that might be better or worse I don't really know.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
here is the tent in question,
Don't get yourself worked up if people start doing things that are going to mess it up, keep calm. You are being judged on that. Let the team know that you have a good idea how this is put up.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well it's been 7 months of hard work and very little rest but I'm here in Calvi.
So I suppose that I'll tell you guys in on my travels through the system ETRANGER. After sitting in the Civil Cage in aubagne for 3 weeks I finally made it to blue phase. In this phase you are put to work all over 1er RE cleaning everything with the same rag you cleaned the last thing with. It's not a very sterile environment for people coming in. I literally cleaned coffee cups with a rag I cleaned a bathroom with. So that's pretty gross.
While in blue you are waiting for your tests to be finished. The test for some reason take everyone days to finish and no one thought it could be done in one day but for some reason I knocked all my tests out in one day.
You have to go interview with the gestopo, which for me was really easy. I kept my answers short and consice not volunteering any other info than what was asked. This generally takes people a day or two to get through but I guess I got lucky cause my interview was 20 minutes long then I was done. They ask you about your criminal history, family ties, and debt you might have. Look into your fb, ig, and any other social media accounts. I factory reset my phone before I went in and when they asked me when I had nothing on my phone I just said that's what I read online to do. I don't really use fb so when they looked on my fb there wasn't anything to worry about.
As far as criminal history I was honest, because you can Google me and see what I've done. But I never volunteered anything that they didn't ask. It seemed to work even though I was worried that everyone else took days to finish their interview.
Next was the psychological exam which was done by a pleasant French lieutenant lady who spoke very poor English. So with this I spoke simple and slow as to not confuse anyone. She asked my motivation for joining the legion, family ties, job history, leadership experience, schooling. Pretty much job interview questions. Again this took only 20 minutes but others took hours long. I don't know why.
The same day I took a swimming test at like 5 am on the coldest January morning. It was terrible standing outside wet. You swim, I believe 50 meters and your done.
Then after lunch the same day I did the tent test. You and like 7 others build a M. A. S. H. Tent that's supposed to be erected in 30 minutes. You're being observed while doing this. I think this is too determine your team working skills or leadership. I don't really know.
I was blue for one week and got selected the following Thurs. This time is just filled with working outdoors or in the kitchen and isn't very challenging. The hardest part is not getting sick. I got terribly sick as everyone does. So avoid people like they got the plague, because they do.
I should say that this is just my experience and I am not telling you what to do, just what I saw. Others may offer different advice that might be better or worse I don't really know.
First off, thank you for all the experience information you have posted and taken the time to fill us all in! I appreciate it alot. And congratulations on making it and showing that it can be done!

For this post, I just want to make sure I read correctly. You only had to do one "gastapo" interview that was roughly 20 min? Was there a common theme of people who had shorter interviews making it compared to long interviews and not making it?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you for the post very insightful

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
First off, thank you for all the experience information you have posted and taken the time to fill us all in! I appreciate it alot. And congratulations on making it and showing that it can be done!

For this post, I just want to make sure I read correctly. You only had to do one "gastapo" interview that was roughly 20 min? Was there a common theme of people who had shorter interviews making it compared to long interviews and not making it?

Thanks again.
No sir, I'm the only one that I saw that got through this fast. Listen there's no formula for who gets through and who doesn't. Some guys had multiple interviews that got through and some that didn't. I really couldn't tell you based off the interview process. Seemed like the guys that had a solid story that didn't talk to much had a better chance. But that's just my observation again idk know what the gestopo wants. No one does