a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mururoa Atoll

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Flash posted the thumbnail instead of first reverting the pic to the normal size.

Greyman

Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
hay am a grunt from the 90,s puters are still space age mumble jumble to me lol

Hey flash010. As part of the internet generation and playstation nation I have a natural ability with these types of things.. PM if you require any assistance in this regard. I am relatively good at providing detailed instructions on how to do things with accompanying screen dumps (pictures) showing how to do things step my step. Just putting that out there.. think of it as my 'thanks' for all the posts and info you have provided on this forum ;)

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
There has been for many years former French servicemen (or their family) complaining about health issues allegedly due to radiation exposure. Like always in this type of situation, it's difficult to determine if the cancer (or any other disease) you've been diagnosed with is due to your being exposed to nuclear radiations 30+ years ago or if you would have gotten it anyway.
As mentioned by Joseph, the safety conditions were quite bad during the first tests held in the Algerian Sahara in the early 60s (a bit like the US tests done in the 40s/50s in Bikini or Nevada). The French authorities have recently admitted that and accepted to grant some form of compensation to the (still living) victims. On the other hand, the official position is that everything was safe in French Polynesia (Mururoa / Fangataufa) nuclear testing facilities. You can believe that... or not, but I too have friends who spend some time over there in the early 80s and they're still alive.
I caught the tail end of a documentary about British servicemen who had served in atomic testing areas and suffered but were not receiving any compensation, it stated that the French government were compensating their servicemen, so any Legionnaires who are suffering but unaware help is available ............

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Only some and civilians too, it has to be proven
Never admit your guilt
Let time take it's toll
More who died (of what ever )
Least to be paid out
Standard procédure