a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mururoa Atoll

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
My uncle said he knew of three legionnaires who served in Mururoa Atoll (French nuclear testing site) in the eighties and all have died young (40s/50s) from cancer. Is this a commonly known thing ? I recently seen a documentary on RT explaining radiation in that area. I guess the French politicos would never admit it.

RadioTex

Crusty Caporal
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Kind of like saying, "A cow has 4 legs--a horse has 4 legs, therefore, a horse is a cow."

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Surfguy,
Be patient, Perhaps an answer will come. Sometimes our members here are not exactly ones to answer, but rather post banter. In this case, Radiotex did answer your question, in his own particular way. Not too worry, it will come should you be patient.

RadioTex

Crusty Caporal
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
(...) Sometimes our members here are not exactly ones to answer, but rather post banter. (...)
Maybe banter, but also a lesson in deductive reasoning vs. Inductive reasoning.

I know more than a few men who served there... All still alive and kicking. La Légion is no longer there, so, no worries.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I know more than a few men who served there... All still alive and kicking. La Légion is no longer there, so, no worries.
By then the French Army had taken major precautions. Don't forget that it wasn't the Legion setting off the bombs, it was scientists living and working on the atoll. I visited there in I was station ('95, I think) on Hao. There were huge concrete, and probably other materials protecting the sites. Don't forget these are controlled tests done on a scale.
Now if you want to see some really scary stuff about French nuclear testing watch documentaries of when they first started testing in the Sahara. At the time the full effects of lasting radiation fall out was not fully known. French troops would patrol in jeeps outside the ‘safe’ perimeter without any protection except a gas mask !!!

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Agreed radio tex. That is exactly why I made it clear that you answered in your own way. I understood it.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
There has been for many years former French servicemen (or their family) complaining about health issues allegedly due to radiation exposure. Like always in this type of situation, it's difficult to determine if the cancer (or any other disease) you've been diagnosed with is due to your being exposed to nuclear radiations 30+ years ago or if you would have gotten it anyway.
As mentioned by Joseph, the safety conditions were quite bad during the first tests held in the Algerian Sahara in the early 60s (a bit like the US tests done in the 40s/50s in Bikini or Nevada). The French authorities have recently admitted that and accepted to grant some form of compensation to the (still living) victims. On the other hand, the official position is that everything was safe in French Polynesia (Mururoa / Fangataufa) nuclear testing facilities. You can believe that... or not, but I too have friends who spend some time over there in the early 80s and they're still alive.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I have been heavily involved in seeking medallic recognition for those who were involved in the testing. New Zealand specifically gave participants a medal.

My interest was related to an RM oppo of mine who died prematurely of cancer and his children suffered subsequently from related illness.

I with UK lawyers have held the MoD to account. We are still seeking compensation and have held Robathan the previous minister for veterans to account for misleading parliament.

Last edited:

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
There is a surge of U.S. Navy men getting cancer from helping with the Fukushima cleanup. All along our coast line and elsewhere too our sea life is dying out from the radiation and also now the seals are dying in Alaska. Something about man, he cannot control his impulse to devise and create some sophisticated death warhead or anything close. He is attracted to death and doesn't know why. I wonder when the next disaster will happen?

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I was on Mururoa Atoll and hao even been in two of the bunkers on our days off even camped on the interdit part of the atoll reppy was there before me and the bright green piss has nothing to do with it they tell me lol

every one i was with is still here

Greyman

Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Something about man, he cannot control his impulse to devise and create some sophisticated death warhead or anything close.

I wouldn't say it was impulse so much as necessity.. it was the A-Bomb that ended the war with Japan and dramatically contributed to the end of World War 2.. otherwise imagine what the outcome could have been.. I cringe to think :/

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I was on Mururoa atoll and Hao, even been in two of the bunkers on our days off, even camped on the interdit part of the atoll. Reppy was there before me and the bright green piss has nothing to do with it, they tell me lol. Every one I was with is still here.
You know the old joke, Flash... How do you know a legionnaire was stationed on Mururoa atoll ..? He's glowing in the night ! :D

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
As a BNTVA activist, I was pleased with the article in today's Sunday Telegraph, headed ; Forgotten victims of Britain's nuclear test.

However despite sterling efforts by our solicitor Neil Sampson and John Baron MP, David Cameron and the MoD, especially when Robathan was in place have acted in a calculated and callous manner denying any responsibility.

We gave the Australian government in 1993 £20M. on an ex gratia basis to settle all claims relating to the tests.

Todate our lads have received nothing. This shames our nation.

Chas.

S

Sarahlouise

Unregistered
As a BNTVA activist, I was pleased with the article in today's Sunday Telegraph, headed ; Forgotten victims of Britain's nuclear test.

However despite sterling efforts by our solicitor Neil Sampson and John Baron MP, David Cameron and the MoD, especially when Robathan was in place have acted in a calculated and callous manner denying any responsibility.

We gave the Australian government in 1993 £20M. on an ex gratia basis to settle all claims relating to the tests.

Todate our lads have received nothing. This shames our nation.

Chas.

Chas, I'd not read anything about this until this post and the article which I just read over supper. How is it that other countries have helped their vets but not ours?!!
I touched on genetic mutation amongst other related topics in my OU course (SK123) so am aware of the prominent evidence that still so many shy away from.
Despicable indeed. Perhaps the article will be the publicity the deserved require.

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
Maybe banter, but also a lesson in deductive reasoning vs. Inductive reasoning.

I dont think that your ‘reasoning’ applies to the question at all. The facts support a trend and certainly indicate a possibilty, but they could have equally been overexposed to radiation from the x-ray machine at Lavéran during the pré-outre mer examination. It is my understanding that legionnaires returning from Tahiti had their radiation levels tested in LA prior to return to France. It is possible that radiation levels once thought to be ‘safe’ were outrageously wrong so the presence of French scientists and technicians means nothing to me. They probably got off the atoll during detonation anyway.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
No they stood on platform,s to watch the ground blasts.
dont know about the air blast but there was an old sign just passed pk vivian saying no swimming for an hour after detonation lol **** you could not make shit like that up.

Ensiferum

Reaction score
Home Country
France
My uncle said he knew of three legionnaires who served in Mururoa Atoll (French nuclear testing site) in the eighties and all have died young (40s/50s) from cancer. Is this a commonly known thing ? I recently seen a documentary on RT explaining radiation in that area. I guess the French politicos would never admit it.

Back in the old days of testing, way not enough precautions were taken.
In my amateur opinion this is the risk of enlisting in any military that sends troops abroad: There is always an unknown factor that you'll catch some s**t.
Just look at any veteran from Iraq (Gulf War syndrome), Afghanistan, or back during Vietnam with agent Orange.

Of course this stuff isn't widespread. Modern Armies are not guinea pigs that are just put under extreme risk in 2014.
But still if I was to enlist I wouldn't discount that "Yes, there will be some perils to my life that might be unforeseen by the French Army/Authorities".

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Flash, I don't know anything about this stuff, but your picture came out tiny. Not a critic as I'm going to try and post one. Volt had to explain it to me.
Joe