a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi i am a 29 year old male from South Africa i hope u guys can assist me on some info regarding the medical tests i had spinal fusion in my neck will this be reason for DQ in the medical test i have no further problems regarding my neck after the opertation in june 2018

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi PjwPine, and welcome to the forum. It has to be reminded that none of us are Doctors and even less capable of giving an on line diagnostic.
Is there a scar? and also what is spinal fusion exactly?

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi thank u for the reply yes there is a scar a spinal fusion like in my case is where c5 and c6 and c7 is joined with bone they took from my hip and then they put a steel plate and screws to keep it in place while it grows as one part

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi thank u for the reply yes there is a scar a spinal fusion like in my case is where c5 and c6 and c7 is joined with bone they took from my hip and then they put a steel plate and screws to keep it in place while it grows as one part
Do you still or did it Effect your hands, Arms. I know when I had a Disc Prolaps in c6/c7 i had numbness & weakness in my right Triceps ( back upper Arm). Ok now but I never did an op.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I had a series of injections under CT in my Neck right side & back. It recovered well so I can press a good weight now. Is this what your op was below?

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Yes did have some problems with numbness and weakness but all that is normal now yes the op was like the video but they took some bone from my hips

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well in my opinion, the only way to find out is by going and trying to join. I'd recommend going directly to Aubagne if you do decide. I understand that it isn't easy for a South African to just get on a plane and go. But only the legion Doc will be able to answer your question for sure. It would help if you are in tip top physical condition before going.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi i am a 29 year old male from South Africa i hope u guys can assist me on some info regarding the medical tests i had spinal fusion in my neck will this be reason for DQ in the medical test i have no further problems regarding my neck after the opertation in june 2018
Howzit boet and welcome, I'm a Saffa as well, drop me a pm if you need some help with info with going over from ZA.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi thanx for the reply im looking to go in about 7 to 8 months so that will buy se some time to shape up

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
PjwPine,

Welcome to the forum. Now I am no medic so I for one cannot give you a definitive answer. However you are taking a chance in going. I believe that it might inhibit load carrying/yomping.

Even if successful the load carrying will effect you in later years. My knees talk to me every time I go up and down stairs. At nearly 80 of course it might simply be age rather than my most enjoyable service.

Anyway good luck.