a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical question

lukey94

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good evening guys,

I've been a lurker of this forum for a while now. I'm hoping some of you could help me out.

I was medically discharged from the British Army a couple of years ago for a petty injury. Long story short, it's not giving me any issues anymore but as they were taking so long to sort my medical forms out and being sick of civvy life, I bought a one way ticket to Paris to hopefully join the Legion. With a week until my departure I was in a motorcycle accident, ****ed my leg up pretty bad (few screws and metal rod in my Tibia.) I've had physio on it and i'm running around 10 miles every other day with no issues.

So my question is simple really..what do you think my chances of getting accepted are? I've asked for all my medical notes to be sent to me which would take around a month apparently..so I will be bringing those along. As soon as I get them I'm booking my flight over.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

JL

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
For what I learned on this forum, your chances to get in with screws and metal in your body are slim to non.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
From everything I've heard you will need the screws and rod removed before you go. You will need to ask your orthopedic surgeon if it is even possible. Apparently any metal in your body is a disqualifier.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

lukey94

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies guys.

In that case I think I'm going to reapply to the army as they do allow fixations but the surgery has to have happened a minimum of 12 months ago. If that fails then I can only head over.

Cheers for the advice.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the replies guys.

In that case I think I'm going to reapply to the army as they do allow fixations but the surgery has to have happened a minimum of 12 months ago. If that fails then I can only head over.

Cheers for the advice.

Lukey94, good luck on getting back in the Brit army, I think you have more chance than getting in the legion. However if it does not work out with the Brits then give the FFL a try. It beats wondering if you you would have got in or not.

lukey94

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Lukey94, good luck on getting back in the Brit army, I think you have more chance than getting in the legion. However if it does not work out with the Brits then give the FFL a try. It beats wondering if you you would have got in or not.

Cheers fella, think I'm going to need it! Although they do seem a bit desperate getting some people to join with the recruitment drive they're having at the moment.

There's always going to be a thought at the back of my mind "what if." I can only try. Best wishes for your future endeavours and you may hear back from me on this forum haha!

saccade

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hey Luke - if you go to your GP and simply say, "I'd like to my medical notes on your screen, please, will you go over them with me?" - if you've a decent doctor, they will go over them with you and give you a run-down of your history.

Especially if you mention that it is for the purpose of re-enlistment or something else that requires a more immediate decision.

It is interesting to see your whole life condensed to a few incidents and reports.

If you are nice, the doc might print the screen for you there and then. Maybe for a price, idk I have a good relationship with my doc because I rarely see him:)

Otherwise - let someone else do the paper-work, I reckon.

Don't let anyone make you feel bad if you have to go crap-hat in TA.
(might be my route... heh:))