[Joining] Medical question

Hi, I am looking to join the Legion but I was born with a heart murmur. I have never had any complications, taken any medication or failed any physical due to this. I have notes from several cardiologists clearing me for any and all activities. My question is whether would my heart murmur prevent me from passing the medical?
Thanks in advance.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
When was the last time you were diagnosed with it? I was diagnosed with a murmur at 10 years old at Sick Kids in TO and finished off 33 years of regular army without an issue.

Steve

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Hi, I am looking to join the Legion but I was born with a heart murmur. I have never had any complications, taken any medication or failed any physical due to this. I have notes from several cardiologists clearing me for any and all activities. My question is whether would my heart murmur prevent me from passing the medical?
Thanks in advance.
Only the Doctor in the Legion can and will tell if you are fit to enlist. None of us members on the Forum can.

FloridaMedic

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Get an EKG from your GP. It's free since I see that you're from Canada. Bring it with with you to selection. Hope for the best from Legion Doc.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Difficult question to answer. The EKG results may put the willies up the Legion doctor, i.e. why has he turned up with these results. I'm not a doctor but if I had to sign a good bill of health for someone who was diagnosed with a heart murmur and there are 40 other candidates in the waiting room, I wouldn't take the risk.
Saying that, you could take the results along but leave them with your personnel belongings. If the doctor notices the murmur you could say that you have the results with you and can go and get them. There is always a chance that you may get through, but let's be honest, it is very slim. And of course you will be checked when you get to Castelnaudary and again at the end of instruction.
Sorry not to be able to give you any more encouragement.

Thanks in advance.
Does the heart murmur show up in an EKG and/or is it easy to hear with a stethoscope? If so you have no chance. Sorry. IF not, give it a go as long as the docs back in Canada gave you an all clear for any and all strenuous activity. But if it is a known in selection you are out, they have too many other guys to choose from and there is no way they will take a chance with a declared heart murmur. The Legion is too competitive these days.

ok that's disappointing to hear but at least spared me the trip to France.

Thanks for the reponses.
Civilian and military standards for those things are often drastically different. I know guys who were denied the U.S. military but got in at local agencies like fire or police or even with Federal Law Enforcement by getting the doctor's ok. The stuff that would be acceptable for let's say the FBI won't even get past the doctors at the initial medical for the military.

So don't count yourself out of interesting careers. They will probably ask for doctors to approve you for intense and strenuous activity by having you do a treadmill stress test and and echo cardiogram. If you pass those to the satisfaction of doctors the murmur should be no problem and you should be able to work any sort of 'action' civilian job you want. Good luck!!

Got back from Aubagne yesterday. Was rejected because (a) of a metal screw in my wrist and (b) I failed ECG. Never had any problems with my heart, so this was a shock. You will fail the ECG hands down if you have a dodgy ticker. A good few guys failed the ECG/ EKG.

Sorry to hear that BoredBrickie. That sucks, how long were you there? Anything different about the process than what people have been posting recently? Good luck with whatever other plans you have lined up.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Hi Brickie, really sorry to hear that. What can I/we say, except that you tried. I know that you are disappointed but you can at least say that you gave it a go. It didn't work out, OK you can live with that. Good luck for the future, drop me a PM if you are thinking of coming back to Thailand, I'll let you know what the current situation is concerning visas. But I have to say it's getting complicated.
Hat's off to triers.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Got back from Aubagne yesterday. Was rejected because (a) of a metal screw in my wrist and (b) I failed ECG. Never had any problems with my heart, so this was a shock. You will fail the ECG hands down if you have a dodgy ticker. A good few guys failed the ECG/ EKG.
Too bad for you, but at least you tried. Many can't even say that !

Most viewed threads of the week