a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical Problem

Crisvb39

Reaction score
Home Country
Chile
As I prepare to join in July maybe September I have been doing everything to get ready. But I have a question that I’m afraid could disqualify me. I have a small hydrocele . Supposedly it’s harmless and it could be corrected with surgery ( I’m not too keen on this idea due to the cost). Would a hydrocele disqualify me? And would it be a better idea if I save up for the surgery and get rid of it before I arrive at the gates?

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
The doctor will examine your balls in the medical exam, if they notice it they will send you away, either for more testing or to go get surgery before coming back. Depends if you have money to make a trip only to be told to come back later. Basically depends how 'small' is 'small' and how noticeable it is. Only a doctor will know.

Crisvb39

Reaction score
Home Country
Chile
The doctor will examine your balls in the medical exam, if they notice it they will send you away, either for more testing or to go get surgery before coming back. Depends if you have money to make a trip only to be told to come back later. Basically depends how 'small' is 'small' and how noticeable it is. Only a doctor will know.
I know you don't know everything about the medical test and it would probably be up to the doctor seeing me but would papers saying that it is harmless by my doctor work to waiver it? I ask this because I can probably get my doctor to waiver this but im not sure if it would mean anything to the Dr in the legion

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
It might work. But the problem is that you are coming from Chile. Will it be more expensive to get the surgery now, or go with a doctor's note and risk getting sent home to get surgery and rebook another flight? It's just weighing your odds. It's a risk. How noticeable is it? Ask your doctor if it would be okay for military service, have him write a note. But it is still a risk.

Crisvb39

Reaction score
Home Country
Chile
It might work. But the problem is that you are coming from Chile. Will it be more expensive to get the surgery now, or go with a doctor's note and risk getting sent home to get surgery and rebook another flight? It's just weighing your odds. It's a risk. How noticeable is it? Ask your doctor if it would be okay for military service, have him write a note. But it is still a risk.

Its noticeable, but not to the point that it bothers me. The problem I have with this surgery is that it costs a lot and to some people it has returned within the month. But I will do what you said, thank you!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I know you don't know everything about the medical test and it would probably be up to the doctor seeing me but would papers saying that it is harmless by my doctor work to waiver it? I ask this because I can probably get my doctor to waiver this but im not sure if it would mean anything to the Dr in the legion
Hi Crisvb39, I live in a country where I could find a doctor to waiver anything. There is a legion doctor who will decide. It would be a long way to go and then have to come back.
I know it's a hard decision to make.