a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macron the new president..

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Dusaboss,

I concur that conscription is a waste of time and an unnecessary cost. Better one volunteer than one pressed man. (Press Gangs of old.)
Between 1945/1960 the RM conscripted 9000 men of whom 300 became officers. Most joined the Reserve prior to NS(draft) in order to secure a place. Then O/Rs' had to serve on the immediate reserve for three and one half years. Officers five and one half. Failure to attend reserve service resulted in arrest. Regular continuous service RMs' had to sign on for 9 years with the option of leaving at 7. According to Maj. Gen. Julian Thompson, NS men brought many skills to the Corps and once in Commando Brigade you could not differentiate them. The last RM /NS squad joined in 1962. 12 all former reservists, two para qualified and one already an SBS (R) operator. I wonder what the training team thought about this intake.

The USMC had the draft throughout the Viet Nam era. However I do not know how they fared. USMCRET can no doubt throw light on this.

In the UK conscription was officially 1945 until 1963 albeit some served up to and including e/of 1962, but very few. My info relating to 939 NS Squad was obtained from the March/April Edition 2017 of the Globe & Laurel magazine. Hence fact.
My father was a national serviceman signed on after his two years and became a regular soldier made the rank of Squadron Sergeant Major, in what was then the 3rd Queens Qwn Hussars. Did 23 years 350 days not that he was counting. Have meet many of his comrades over the years some who are no longer with us and they still remember him as a absolute stricter for the rules but very fair.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Macron does not seem to be so soft, it is only an appearance of softness. And ... he promised to visit his soldiers as soon as he is effectively president (Sunday) and thus "chef des armées". He wants more and better trained soldiers, at least that's what he said ! He also promised to find the funds for that !
I think in the Uk we should be more concerned that the loony leafy and Corbyn don't get in really, I cant see it myself as he doesn't have the balls as a opponent to the government in place.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well he's in. Just give him a bit of time, not 100 days as all the journalists like to give the new top guy. I mean if you are going to build Rome in a hundred days then Mali would have a colosseum instead of red dirt roads.

He wasn't my favorite, but then I don't have a vote. If he keeps his promisses and looks after the army or should I say military in general, then all the better. I doubt if he knows a FAMAS from an M16 so I hope he chooses his defense minister carefully.

For those who watched the ceremony (I'll get it tomorrow) the general who places the necklace of "Grand collier de la légion d'honneur" around the president is General Puga commanding officer of the REP in 1996. « Monsieur le président de la République, nous vous reconnaissons comme grand maître de l'ordre national de la Légion d'Honneur. »

It does seem that the REPis in the limelight at the moment.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The majority of senior NCO's during my service in the Oz army (Infantry) were vets of Vietnam, many AATTV 'Australian Army Training Team Vietnam'. The knowledge and experience that they passed on was priceless (never get a photo standing over a bastard you have just given a third eye to...damn right). Fine men, salt of the earth. Most were against conscription.

the lad who watched my six in kolwezi was an aussi. gone now. RIP. i could not have had a better brother in arms!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well Macron managed to score a few points with me after yersterday. The new president can choose which vehicle he rides up the champs Elysée in to salut the crowds. He chose a military staff car. 1 point. After the ceremony he made a surprise visit to the military hospital Percy whithout journalists. 1 point. He has announced that he will be visiting soon the military in Mali. 2 Points. Total points = 4.
"And what do points make? Prizes."

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Regarding conscription, while the motivation or lack thereof in conscript armies is certainly a strike against it, having conscription is a great way to make sure your government doesn't get itself involved in any foolish wars. There are some who believe that getting rid of conscription after Vietnam was a huge mistake because now politicians are able to get America involved in endless wars using what are essentially mercenary forces in all but name.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Well Macron managed to score a few points with me after yersterday. The new president can choose which vehicle he rides up the champs Elysée in to salut the crowds. He chose a military staff car. 1 point. After the ceremony he made a surprise visit to the military hospital Percy whithout journalists. 1 point. He has announced that he will be visiting soon the military in Mali. 2 Points. Total points = 4.
"And what do points make? Prizes."

The best of it, according to me, is that he made his surprise visit to the military hospital WITHOUT JOURNALIST !

Anyway, he has promised during his campaign that one of the first things he would do after he is elected is first to visit Angela Merkel (OK with me, but not military) and visit the soldiers fighting for France outside the country ! Brave young president

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well points come and points go. Mr. Macron has nominated a lady with no military experience as the new minister of defence, Mrs. Sylvie Goulard 52 years old. She's a lawyer by profession. That which gripped my sh*t was there was a delegation from various military units presenting arms (inclucing swords) as she passed by them to take over command. They could have dropped their pants and turned around and showed her the full moon for all the notice she took of them.

At least the guy she took over from had done his national service. Au secours!

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Well points come and points go. Mr. Macron has nominated a lady with no military experience as the new minister of defence, Mrs. Sylvie Goulard 52 years old. She's a lawyer by profession. That which gripped my sh*t was there was a delegation from various military units presenting arms (inclucing swords) as she passed by them to take over command. They could have dropped their pants and turned around and showed her the full moon for all the notice she took of them.

Oh dear, a lawyer......

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Never go "Full Retard!"

If only they applied that theory in politics. Well let's see how she does, Germany's minister of defence jumped from social work and senior citizens and it looks like things are happening, budget increases and so on, not too sure on French politics and her past experience but hey sometimes change is good.

Last edited:

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Well points come and points go. Mr. Macron has nominated a lady with no military experience as the new minister of defence, Mrs. Sylvie Goulard 52 years old. She's a lawyer by profession. (...)
It's not actually the first time a woman serves as the Minister of Defence (her exact title is actually Minister of Armed Forces, in French Ministre des Armées).
Before her, Michèle Alliot-Marie, served several years as Minister of Defence (under Chirac) and earlier, Edwige Avice served as an assistant to Defence Ministers Charles Hernu and Paul Quilès under Mitterrand.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It's not actually the first time a woman serves as the Minister of Defence (her exact title is actually Minister of Armed Forces, in French Ministre des Armées).
Before her, Michèle Alliot-Marie, served several years as Minister of Defence (under Chirac) and earlier, Edwige Avice served as an assistant to Defence Ministers Charles Hernu and Paul Quilès under Mitterrand.
Well she made a spot visit with the president to Mali. Not too sure what she would talk about to the soldiers in 40+ degrees temperatures. Perhaps some of the soldiers have a member of the family who went to law school. Maybe she's got an opinion about replacing the FAMAS?

Scouser

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Well... Macron wasn't personally my 'first choice', but in the runoff, for me, the Macron option was much better than Le Pen. She would have been a vastly incompetent president as it appeared clearly during the debate on TV last Wednesday. So, we'll see how Macron does. For the moment, he has from me the benefit of the doubt.
Le Pen: “La France sera dirigée par une femme, moi ou Mme Merkel.”

France has her first female President! :¬)

Auroris56

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
He has mentioned during his campaign that he will favor the military in order to fight terrorism, and also re-introduce in France a compulsory and universal military service
I've heard the same thing about Macron supporting the anti-terrorism campaign, as well as conscription laws. As being a former Marine, who is leaving to Join the Legion this August. It makes me feel better to hopefully be part of the solution of solving the problem of modern terrorism. I think compulsory military service isn't a bad idea. A lot of younger Americans that haven't served in the military seem to be snobbish bratty kids with no respect for life or freedom. However I think conscription is costly, and produces less disciplined unruly troops. I think it would be far more beneficial to ask for volunteers who want to be part of the military. In this you would more than likely produce more dedicated troops while saving your country more money that, could be put to far better economic use.

Terrorism wars are costly, just look at the rise and fall of the American economy.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Well the minister of Defence Sylvie Goulard (the lawyer) has stood down over allegations of skulduggery. She is being investigated for misuse of Euro parliament funds before taking up office.

She has been replaced by another woman whom likewise has absolutely no military experience, Florence Parly. Better known for her mismanagement of SNCF (train) passengers. If you have ever wondered why the passengers were kept in the dark during train strikes in France, then imagine what the new top dog in the military system is going to do. I'll give her six months, no more.

And why not a silly Norwegian while they are at it?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
You're a bit unfair with Ms. Parly, Joseph. The good thing is that she's very well versed into the budget related matters and it is well known (at least in France, don't know in other places) that the primary role of the Minister of Defence is to ‘fight’ with the Ministry of Finance which is always trying to make cuts in the Defence budget. For the ‘technical’ matters, (s)he can always rely on the Joint Chief of Staffs (in French Chef d'État-Major des Armées, CEMA), currently Gen Pierre de Villiers.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You're a bit unfair with Ms. Parly, Joseph. The good thing is that she's very well versed into the budget related matters and it is well known (at least in France, don't know in other places) that the primary role of the Minister of Defence is to ‘fight’ with the Ministry of Finance which is always trying to make cuts in the Defence budget. (...)
Maybe she can fight for the 2% GDP Military Spending as agreed to in the NATO Treaty.