Macron the new president..

It's difficult to compare Germany's spending with France. France still has a finger in a lot of African pies. Cutting back on the budget and still providing africans with up to date vehicles etc. I don't know. Let's not forget that this President is the first to have no military experience and humiliated his highest ranking officer on the eve of the 14th of July. to the point where he quit.
It's difficult to compare Germany's spending with France. France still has a finger in a lot of African pies. Cutting back on the budget and still providing africans with up to date vehicles etc. I don't know. Let's not forget that this President is the first to have no military experience and humiliated his highest ranking officer on the eve of the 14th of July. to the point where he quit.
I just got back from Europe in mid July. I didn't make it to Aubagne since we didn't go further south than Geneva/Ferney-Voltaire. We crossed the border there several times since we stayed in Ferney-Voltaire while visiting Geneva for three days. The old border crossings have been remanned with gendarmes and also some French Army troops. They aren't officially closed, yet. What they have done is set up orange plastic traffic barricades zig-zag style at the frontier crossings. You have to drive around these very slowly slalom style. This gives the border personnel and likely cameras a long peep inside each vehicle. The border crossing further north near Strasbourg and Baden-Baden was the same. It seems like one in five vehicles gets fully stopped for more detailed examination. The Schengen Zone isn't officially dead yet but it's on life support.

And in Strasbourg itself 4 person French Army fire teams were on foot patrol in the streets. These patrols were armed with HK416s. One patrol included a blonde girl. I can't say whether these patrols were real infantry or are drawn from other types of units.

These were our only two sorties into France and both times we saw French Army troops engaged in operational security tasks. So I expect Gen Pierre de Villiers is just factual to cite high operational stress in opposing Macron's impulsive 850 million euro cut.

btw, in Strasbourg we also saw a number of impromptu refugee tent camps set up in open areas alongside a street paralleling the main railway embankment.

I just got back from Europe in mid July. I didn't make it to Aubagne since we didn't go further south than Geneva/Ferney-Voltaire. We crossed the border there several times since we stayed in Ferney-Voltaire while visiting Geneva for three days. The old border crossings have been remanned with gendarmes and also some French Army troops. They aren't officially closed, yet. What they have done is set up orange plastic traffic barricades zig-zag style at the frontier crossings. You have to drive around these very slowly slalom style. This gives the border personnel and likely cameras a long peep inside each vehicle. The border crossing further north near Strasbourg and Baden-Baden was the same. It seems like one in five vehicles gets fully stopped for more detailed examination. The Schengen Zone isn't officially dead yet but it's on life support.

And in Strasbourg itself 4 person French Army fire teams were on foot patrol in the streets. These patrols were armed with HK416s. One patrol included a blonde girl. I can't say whether these patrols were real infantry or are drawn from other types of units.

These were our only two sorties into France and both times we saw French Army troops engaged in operational security tasks. So I expect Gen Pierre de Villiers is just factual to cite high operational stress in opposing Macron's impulsive 850 million euro cut.

btw, in Strasbourg we also saw a number of impromptu refugee tent camps set up in open areas alongside a street paralleling the main railway embankment.
I was in strasbourg after christmas and those patrol are normal, every big city in France has those, especially the subways station and TGV station (vigipirate and NOT sentinelle how the night jumper liked to correct me). And the tent camps you saw are just "sheds" for people who like to grow their own vegetables and stuff. Because I thought it was weirds camps (too small i though) and my boyfriend asked a guy in french what it was, and he said it was just for storage equipments for gardening... nothing more.

I was in strasbourg after christmas and those patrol are normal, every big city in France has those, especially the subways station and TGV station (vigipirate and NOT sentinelle how the night jumper liked to correct me). And the tent camps you saw are just "sheds" for people who like to grow their own vegetables and stuff. Because I thought it was weirds camps (too small i though) and my boyfriend asked a guy in french what it was, and he said it was just for storage equipments for gardening... nothing more.
So what is the real difference between Sentinelle and Vigipirate? I almost hear them thrown around interchangeably.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Is I understood (probably Rapace can tell us better) Vigipirate is France's national security alert system and Sentinelle is military operation stated from 2015 as response to red (scarlet) Vigipirate level.

Looks like both words can be used to describe French army patrolling big cities in France do to threat of terrorist attacks.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I'm not sure about this but I think the two of them are running parallel. If I remeber rightly vigipirate was created for attacks by terrorist groups such as ETA who wanted the basque region to be independant. Half of the basque region is in France and the other half is in Spain. I say half to keep things easy. They have their own official language and customs. That among other attacks such as FLNC (corse) and so on. Vigi has been around for a long time. It included Police Gendarmes and Military. I know that a Gendarme has a military status.

When the rag heads started bombing mainland France then they increased the Vigipirate until things got out of hand. I THINK it was after the Bataclan when the gouvernment decided to go on a state of alert allowing more freedom for police controls and increase the Military (only) under the operational name of sentinelle.

SnafuSmite

I'm not sure about this but I think the two of them are running parallel. If I remeber rightly vigipirate was created for attacks by terrorist groups such as ETA who wanted the basque region to be independant. Half of the basque region is in France and the other half is in Spain. I say half to keep things easy. They have their own official language and customs. That among other attacks such as FLNC (corse) and so on. Vigi has been around for a long time. It included Police Gendarmes and Military. I know that a Gendarme has a military status.

When the rag heads started bombing mainland France then they increased the Vigipirate until things got out of hand. I THINK it was after the Bataclan when the gouvernment decided to go on a state of alert allowing more freedom for police controls and increase the Military (only) under the operational name of sentinelle.
So as I understand Vigipirate is the entire operation whilst Sentinelle is the military's name for their role within Vigipirate?

I didn't notice any gardening, unless they're trying to grow trash. If so they have a bumper crop this year.

I think after twenty years in the US Army, two wars, 18 months in Russia and eastern Europe and other assorted rambling I know how to tell the difference between a refugee camp, summer dacha gardens and community summer garden plots such as I just saw in June in Brig, Switzerland. But I could be wrong.

One of the features I've noticed of many modern refugee camps is large numbers of folks will have standard issue tents given to them by some NGO aid agency, and which were purchased from a Chinese manufacturer. Just like these people did. Another feature is the surrounding ground around the tents will be almost paved with empty water bottles and other paper and plastic food wrapper trash.

Army troops patrolling western European cities on foot may be normal for you, and I agree they are going to be the "New Normal" for the foreseeable future. But I remember earlier times when this wasn't the case. Actually almost my entire life. But look on the bright side. During the Legion's century in Algeria Sidi bel Abbes probably looked much like central Strasbourg does now. Especially in the late 1950s.

btw, the UN's European HQ in Geneva has a great tour that presently includes a large display by the UN Mine Action Service. They have large number of inert examples of IED designs used by al Qaida and ISIS. Coming soon to your neighborhood is all I'll say. Except for the explosives themselves everything is readily available at your local discount or home improvement building supplies store. Since this is a family oriented site (Legio Patria Nostra) I'll skip the details.

Our particular tour group got a surprise bonus. The head of the UNMAS (she seemed to be a French lady) came out and personally gave us an impromptu 10 minute talk. While she talked I kept looking at the easily built IED designs and couldn't help thinking that she needs to start emphasizing internet Distance Learning in mine and IED clearance as the UNMAS' main activity.

The difference is that I never ever heard any real legionnaire use the sentinelle word. Its always vigi. Btw my bf is going tomorrow to 2 months vigi, its his second one this year. So wannabes should expect a lot of vigi in 5 years.
I forgot, what regiment is your fiance in and how long has he been in? He is enjoying his time? Will he sign up for more time or head back to Brazil, or are you going to go there to join him?
Just curious. No need to answer if you don't want to. :)

he is now on 13dble, but he started in the 1rec. He has been in the legion for 3 years and half, and he wont sign another contract, he wants his freedom back. I know some anciens dont agree with that, but legion life has his upside downs. He will be back to Brazil, until I finish med college at least. I would like to live in France, but he doesnt want me alone for weeks there.
How does he like the 13th compared to 1REC? Have you visited him much ?

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

He regret going to the 13th, because the 1rec is on the coast (1rec is on carpiagne wich is 5km from Cassis, which is a wonderful ville), so the weather is way better, in 13th snow a lot. I know these things looks silly for the wannabes, but not for those en terrain for weeks per year.
I visited him twice, and he visited me twice too. I went to Cassis and the mamousque hotel in Marseille. But not the 13th.
Makes a lot of sense. I grew up in a warm climate right near the ocean, makes a world of difference to be near the coast.

If you have a chance, can you send me an email from this site. Stuff I wanted to ask off the forum about your bf's experiences in the 1REC and 13th. I have no more room in my pm's. Thanks! (You can either click my name and click 'send email' or I left my ggmail in my "about me" section.

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
The 13DBLE should have stayed in Djibouti, the madness of politics is that it ever left. 3 company tours (Arta-5 months, 6 months, 5 months). I loved every one of them. Who can ever forget being at Sierra Mike (Arta) at 2 to 4am sitting on a powder keg of ammo, and dozens of baboons howling at you in the darkness, tearing at the barb wire knowing they wanted rip you to pieces!
Aye. Remember those long marchs in the desert stumbling over stones we were so bloody tired. Then at the end building your gun position and making your bed amongst the rocks praying you weren't going to be woken too early for garde duty! Ah! Would we trade those memories?

Service national, now being discussed in parliament (first report already established)... Macron, in favour of, both girls and boys, to be able to serve a 3 to 6 month contract (emphasis on the Défense, but also civique, associations and things).
Budget for the Défense, will reach 2 per cent of GDP, by 2022.

Etoiles_mortant

Pro Member
2% of GDP is good.
National service is... questionable. I don't think there have ever been "honest" reason for starting one, let alone a successful example.

In Greece, for example, the main reason for the military service is so army camps and bases can be scattered around rural areas in Greece and boost the local economy. Also, it reduces unemployment numbers. Most soldiers fire less than 60 bullets in their 9 month service. They spent their time stranding guard, cleaning and fucking around.

Now, if Macron is thinking of a 3-6 month services that is 100% training, so the population can easier be conscripted in time of need, I am OK with that.

France has one of the highest unemployed records in Europe and if it keeps the brats off the streets,can only be a good thing, imo (will the budget that it will cost, be amptutated from the professionals?Here's hoping not)

Most viewed threads of the week