a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loners in the FFL

IFUGAO

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
For those who have been in the Legion, how have loners generally fared? If you want to be alone during free time like simply snoozing on your bed or doing things outside the usual drinking and whoring such as visiting a museum, fishing, enjoying nature, or having socials without liver-damaging bacchanalia, how are you treated by NCOs and fellow legionnaires? I am talking generally of regiments based in France except Corsica. I know options are severely limited in Guyana or Djibouti as well.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
For those who have been in the Legion, how have loners generally fared? If you want to be alone during free time like simply snoozing on your bed or doing things outside the usual drinking and whoring such as visiting a museum, fishing, enjoying nature, or having socials without liver-damaging bacchanalia, how are you treated by NCOs and fellow legionnaires? I am talking generally of regiments based in France except Corsica. I know options are severely limited in Guyana or Djibouti as well.

13Dble pulled out of Djibouti about 3 years ago, they now based in Mainland France.

SBG800

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
As a serving soldier I can say that there are two types of loners in the military. The first type are social awkward losers everyone hates because they don't fit in. The second are those guys who are really good at their jobs, super fit and have that look in their eyes like you know they are just waiting for an excuse to kill someone. They're kind of on another plain and they get left alone and respected in return they show up and work hard.

I cant speak for the Legion but fitting in is important for any soldier. Aslong as you can get along with th guys in your section and they trust you then what you do in your spare time is up to you. Bare in mind there WILL BE ALOT of times in any military career where you will be forced to socialize and participate int hings you wont like. Like chugging beer out of a helmet and or engaging fights or hazings as a part of brotherly banter.

Not many people can get through the military on their own, everyone needs a friend.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Not many people can get through the military on their own, everyone needs a friend.

And you will make friends. Ifugao you will not be the only one who wants to check out museums or go and see a movie. SBG800 sums it up, there's not a lot of spare time and when you do get it by then you will know who has the same interests as you.

Paraca

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
I think it is the same in army and in school/college/civ job, nobody usually likes the guy who don't want to party with the rest of the group, and the laughs at monday morning remembering the last weekend.
Don't forget soldiers are people after all.
If you don't like whores it is ok, but you should go out with the guys with you spend your work time.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I cant speak for the Legion but fitting in is important for any soldier. Aslong as you can get along with th guys in your section and they trust you then what you do in your spare time is up to you. Bare in mind there WILL BE ALOT of times in any military career where you will be forced to socialize and participate int hings you wont like. Like chugging beer out of a helmet and or engaging fights or hazings as a part of brotherly banter.

Socializing is essential because once in action, on an OPEX mission, you must be able to trust your comrades and to communicates very rapidly by gestures or by simple mimics. Besides that, if you want to stay often (but not always) in your own corner, that's your problem. As long as you are a good chum !

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

These type questions are important. Certainly, you will be able to have some solitude if you choose. But you have to think of this, in the Legion and in my case the Marine Corps, the bonds developed through mutual suffering and then growth after the individualism is stripped from you in Boot cam or at the Farm you will be forged into a team, a fighting unit, and you will become friends, some friends are for a lifetime.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As a serving soldier I can say that there are two types of loners in the military. The first type are social awkward losers everyone hates because they don't fit in. The second are those guys who are really good at their jobs, super fit and have that look in their eyes like you know they are just waiting for an excuse to kill someone. They're kind of on another plain and they get left alone and respected in return they show up and work hard.

Very well put. The Marine Corps has the same.

Highlander

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Of course there is legionnaires who go to the museum and stuff, or even camping or climbing the Mont Blanc in vacantion... and sometimes even groups to do this...
Not all legionnaires are into spending all his money in some ladies... I met legionnaires who are extremely calm and easygoing, some are just saving money for after the legion, others
have family to support. And that dont mean that they are not friends with the heavy parting ones...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Not all legionnaires are into spending all his money in some ladies...

:( . From your position, your relay won't believe in that. ;)

I'm joking of course. I'm already said here that I don't like easy chicks. Especially those requesting money for... that. I mean, I try it, Couple times, just to be sure. :)

And NO, That doesn't work for me. Been deprived for sex is not excuse .OK, maybe sometimes, we are man :). But spending whole pay on that. F-in NO!

Highlander

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
:( . From your position, your relay won't believe in that. ;)

I'm joking of course. I'm already said here that I don't like easy chicks. Especially those requesting money for... that. I mean, I try it, Couple times, just to be sure. :)

And NO, That doesn't work for me. Been deprived for sex is not excuse .OK, maybe sometimes, we are man :). But spending whole pay on that. F-in NO!

hahaha some legionnaires dont need to pay, just that... they date french girls, the ones who can speak a few words at least, so a little more motivation for the wannabes
to learn french quickly! And for you Dusaboss to go to france soon too!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yea, yea, I'm going soon. And I'm starting to learn that "few words at least". If you said that that would be enough for French girls. ;)

Can you tell me what that magic words are? I will be very grateful. ;)

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yea, yea, I'm going soon. And I'm starting to learn that "few words at least". If you said that that would be enough for French girls. ;)

"Suce ma bite " may do it or it could get you your face slapped :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Je t'aime ...moi non plus.
Actually this is a play on words by the great Serge Gainsbourg, sadly passed away several years ago, (early 90's I think). The song was written for Bridgitte Bardot to accompany him during the song. She asked him to compose his most romantique love song ever. At the time the two of them were having a short lived fling together. She went to bed and he spent all night composing it. One night !

As we all know BB was better known for her figure than her singing, she made one recording with him and then asked him to withdraw the song. They split up and Serge got together with an English woman Jane Birkin who is in the clip. You will see the most famous monument in Paris in the clip which today we can safely say is being protected by the night jumper, so no worries there.

Serge Gainsbourg would go to Calvi chez Emile's and have a few beers with the legionnaires there -no lie.
Sylvestor Stallone would also park his boat in the bay of Calvi. For some reason he always had a huge body guard with him and you couldn't get near him. Not sure what he was afraid of?

Anyway enjoy the song, but don't ask me to translate - too hot !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpDf6XX_j0

Highlander

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil

First thing is what not to say... like "hi! I am a legionnaire" hahahaha