a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legionnaire declared not guilty

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
justice has been served. happy for him with the outcome and sorry he had to endure this while only defending himself and his girlfriend against an armed attacker

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hum... Gents, sorry to wash down your enthusiasm but the article is more than 1 year old... The legionnaire was put in custody after he killed this drug dealer but was later released, pending his trial. I personally lost track of this story. Don't know if the trial has already taken place and if yes which sentence (if any) the legionnaire received.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I thought..... that I had read the results at an earlier date.
Ah well, it seemed that some of us had not followed the outcome of this case.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Resuscitating an old thread here. The legionnaire who had killed a drug dealer in Paris during a fight at Gare du Nord in 2014 has been officially acquitted. The legionnaire had been released from custody one month after the incident, but was still charged. He was serving at 1er REG at that time and has left the Legion since that.
Article below (in French) :
Le légionnaire qui avait tué son agresseur a été acquitté

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The fact that the drug dealer was the one one who attacked the legionnaire, would have stood in his favor. Also if he had not been a legionnaire he would probably not have even made the papers.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The fact that the drug dealer was the one one who attacked the legionnaire, would have stood in his favor. Also if he had not been a legionnaire he would probably not have even made the papers.
At least now the guy can get on with his life as a free man and cleared 👍

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
And the dealer pulled the knife. Btw, what happens between Arabs, rests between the Arabs!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Resuscitating an old thread here. The legionnaire who had killed a drug dealer in Paris during a fight at Gare du Nord in 2014 has been officially acquitted. The legionnaire had been released from custody one month after the incident, but was still charged. He was serving at 1er REG at that time and has left the Legion since that.
Article below (in French) :
Le légionnaire qui avait tué son agresseur a été acquitté
Interestingly, it was the nine non-professional, civilian jurors who acquitted the legionnaire. French Assises juries are made up of the three judges plus nine jurors drawn from the civilian population at large, the judges deliberating with the jurors and having the right to “advise” the jurors on what verdict they should reach (not very democratic and certainly very different from what we in the U.S. would consider “due process”). But the civilian jurors refused to take the “advice” of the three magistrates and all voted to acquit the legionnaire, which he was, 9-3. This is a perfect illustration of the far-left activism of French judges, much decried by the vast majority of French people. Readers’s comments in the Paris newspaper Le Figaro were near unanimous in support of the legionnaire and expressed delight at the verdict.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Interestingly, it was the nine non-professional, civilian jurors who acquitted the legionnaire. French assizes juries are made up of the three judges plus nine jurors drawn from the civilian population at large, the judges deliberating with the jurors and having the right to “advise” the jurors on what verdict they should reach (not very democratic and certainly very different from what we in the U.S. would consider “due process”). But the civilian jurors refused to take the “advice” of the three magistrates and all voted to acquit the legionnaire, which he was, 9-3. This is a perfect illustration of the far-left activism of French judges, much decried by the vast majority of French people. Readers’s comments in the Paris newspaper Le Figaro were near unanimous in support of the legionnaire and expressed delight at the verdict.
Hi Parigino, and welcome to the forum, why not tell us a bit about yourself?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Parigino, and welcome to the forum, why not tell us a bit about yourself?
Many thanks, Mr. Cosgrove ! (I said “Mr.” because I don’t know your rank, if you are still in the legion, or how to address you. Please correct me). Since you asked me to tell you a little bit about myself, here goes.
I am a dual French-American citizen, aged 70, a retired diplomat living in Washington, D.C. I have never served in the military, mais j’ai une admiration et un respect sans bornes pour ceux qui ont servi (ou servent) sous l’uniforme. I recently finished Simon Murray’s book, Legionnaire, and am just in awe of the Foreign Legion and the legionnaires. I signed up to this forum to learn more about the Legion, but I fear I will have little to contribute given my absence of military experience. I only wrote because a few years ago I had read about the case of the legionnaire of the Gare du Nord in the French newspapers, and am thrilled that after five years of judicial ups and downs he has finally been acquitted. That he wasn’t acquitted the first time, had to spend over a month in the clink after the incident, and had to wait five years to be acquitted is an énorme scandale and an indictment of the French judiciary. The French judiciary authorities obviously had it in for him, so biased are they against the military. Shame on them. They have managed to pourrir la vie of this brave man for five years and I hope he will now be able to make up for lost time, get on with his life, and put this whole sordid affair behind him.
J’en profite pour adresser un gros, gros merci à tous les légionnaires pour votre bravoure, votre abnégation, vos compétences inégalées, et surtout pour votre service à la France ! On ne pourra jamais assez vous remercier ni oublier vos glorieux morts. Honneur à eux et à vous.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Many thanks, Mr. Cosgrove ! (I said “Mr.” because I don’t know your rank, if you are still in the legion, or how to address you. Please correct me.) Since you asked me to tell you a little bit about myself, here
Just Joe will be more than enough. My rank was caporal-chef and I have been out of the Legion since 2001 (I think) of course you nerve truly leave the Legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Just Joe will be more than enough. My rank was caporal-chef and I have been out of the Legion since 2001 (I think) of course you never truly leave the Legion.
Merci beaucoup, Joe. Je suis vraiment très impressionné. Devenir caporal-chef dans la Légion, c’est très, très difficile et pas à la portée de n’importe qui ! Félicitations et un grand merci pour votre service !

By the way, Joe, the link you sent is inoperative. I am getting a message that this website no longer exists.