a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L'ancien combattant de la Légion doit quitter le territoire

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Well... Not really the place to discuss that, but actually:
1/ Pope Pius VII didn't take Napoleon's gesture as an offence. He was even actually quite ‘happy’ with him since, after the extreme measures taken by the Revolutionaries of 1789 and above all 1792-1994 against the Catholic Church (priests murdered, properties confiscated, etc.), Napoleon signed in 1801 an ‘agreement’ (it's called a Concordat, I think the word is the same in English) with the Vatican, organising and clarifying the relations between the French state and the Catholic Church and putting and end to 10 years of tension.
2/ Contrary to the Kings of France, under the Absolute Monarchy regime, Napoleon wasn't considered and didn't even try to present himself as a representative of God on Earth. This would not have been accepted by the French people, who could tolerate an authoritarian rule, but not a return to the past. Among many other details, he chose to be crowned in Notre-Dame-de-Paris, rather than the cathedral of Reims (like the Ancien Régime Kings), to clearly show that the Premier Empire had nothing to do with the defunct Monarchy. Is this a sign of illegitimacy? May be.
I think that the Pope (current at the time) even supported Hitler. So I wouldn't really consider that as some big plus.
As for a Napoléon “Vive le Empereur !” Am I spelling that right Rapace? (Please don't tell me “ask your Joseph” :))

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Main reason why I havent supplied requested proof of me being an ex legionnaire, is I have a shoite phone on its last legs...
OK Andy aka le Beau gosse de l'Écosse, whenever you've got time. Other solution is to go to a photo shop with a photocopier and they can put it directly on to a memory stick.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Main reason why I haven't supplied requested proof of me being an ex-legionnaire, is I have a shite phone on its last legs...
Camera doesn't work and as for the British passport, no way... Je suis un républicain... Viva la Scozzia nazzioni.
Le nom de plume, “le petit Caporal”
... I was born on 05-05 (1965) and Napoleon died on 05-05 (1821)... He was born on an island, la Corse. I was born on an island called l'Écosse (we both took the ferry to join la Grande Armée). He disliked les Anglais and so do I. I dislike the French and so did he!
Yours sincerly. Beau gosse de l'Écosse.
Caporal Andy Little mle 167848
:D Not sure if you're actually an ex-legionnaire, but you have some good knowledge and a funny writing style. Not too bad... For a change. And you're a poet too, making rhymes...
Actually it's not so much that l'Empereur (Dusaboss, check the spelling ;)) disliked the English, it's more the other way round...
Oh, and I may have missed something here, but I don't recall that Scotland was an island. Anyway... In your dreams, maybe.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
:D Not sure if you're actually an ex-legionnaire, but you have some good knowledge and a funny writing style. Not too bad... For a change. And you're a poet too, making rhymes...
Actually it's not so much that l'Empereur (Dusaboss, check the spelling ;)) disliked the English, it's more the other way round...
Oh, and I may have missed something here, but I don't recall that Scotland was an island. Anyway... In your dreams, maybe.
Actually I had heard about the “petit Caporalâ€￾ nickname of Napoleon, but I thought Andy had chosen the handle because his name is Andy Little and he finished his service as a corporal.
Dusa, that deserves a dislike for me.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Gents,
Interesting discussion, re the Catholic Church in WW2, but not well placed. Posts were moved to a new thread in “Other Topicsâ€￾.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I receive the magazine Objectif Gard, issued by the Conseil Départemental (Nîmes, where I live, is the capital of the Gard département). I have not yet received this month issue (surely soon). Will post confirmation when I do.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Main reason why I haven't supplied requested proof of me being an ex-legionnaire, is I have a shite phone on its last legs...
Camera doesn't work and as for the British passport, no way... Je suis un républicain... Viva la Scozzia nazzioni.
Le nom de plume, ‘le petit Caporal’
... I was born 5.5.65 and Napoléon died the 5.5... He was born on an island, la Corse. I was born on an island called l'Écosse (we both took the ferry to join la Grande Armée). He disliked les Anglais and so do I. I dislike the French and so did he!
Yours sincerly. Beau gosse de l'Écosse.
Caporal mtle 167848
Think we both would have enjoyed a beer together as above is not much difference from my thoughts I was born in Paisley started of in the 1st Bn A & S H

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I was born in Aberfeldy : Andy d'Aberfeldy (marque déposée)
My uncle was pipe major of the A+S for many a year (Redford Barracks) Seamus or Jimmy Johnstone.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if you're actually an ex-legionnaire, but you have some good knowledge and a funny writing style. Not too bad... For a change. And you're a poet too, making rhymes...
Actually it's not so much that l'Empereur (Dusaboss, check the spelling) disliked the English, it's more the other way round...
If the SNP get their way we will be a island. One thing I was given the heads up very soon was make certain that if you get in you make it clear you're a Jock ( Scottish) and not a "Rosbeef" (English).

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Le pestiféré d'Angleterre est un excroissance collée à notre île.

Back on subject, the Senagalese was refused by the Préfecture, just like I was for the carte de sejour / résident. At this moment I still do not have one. Nowadays, all demands are on line and take more time than before. I did attempt a request for one in 2014 (just before the Scottish referendum. Playing my hand). After waiting my turn (behind the Kosovars, Chechens, Bosnians, Moroccans, Algerians, Tunisians and Albanase), mine came up. I had eventually received a copy of my birth certificat and had all the other documents necessary.
I asked the fonctionnaire (civil servant) to establish my carte and we filled the document together. Then came the crucial question. Nationality ? I replied "Scottish". She answered me with "there is no code for Scotland, only Grande-Bretagne." Wtf!
Got lifted by the polis. Scotland voted against indy and Andy since shakes his own thing.
Je n'ai pas de pays, am a refugee !

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Sorry mate, that's how world works. You will not get your independence and that's it! Not that I don't like that idea, I really support Scottish people in their struggle for independence. I already said that you and we have very similar mentality and for some reason I like you crazy Scots. :)

But that how things works in global policy.

Have to say that nations you mentioned are not really nations in any way. So let me clear something out.

Kosovars - Albanians imported on territory of ex-Yugoslavia (Kosovo) both legally and illegally and most of them having in average 5 (or more) kids for 30 y. That, with support of NATO (because of strong Albanian- criminal lobby) who gave them independence.

Chetchins (Četnici) I don't know about who you really think here? I mean, you can google who they were, but most Serbs don't consider them to be Chetniks (certainly not me). Anyone who knows anything about history of this parts of world would immediately know just by seeing flag near my name what I'm thinking about alleged Chetniks!!!

Bosnians - This is really complicated. In ex-Yu we named all citizens of Bosnia as Bosnians (and that's how it should stay!). But then war came in and we got : Bosniaks- Bosnian Muslims, Bosnian Serbs, wrongly called Chetniks, and Bosnian Croats wrongly called Ustashe.

I don't care for that if many of them got medals from new quasi states. In reality they should all be sent to court-martial, judged by laws of Yugoslavia and many sentence for treason and death penalty or life in prison! But we had some completely different story and now we are where we are.

Albanais- Don't know what is trouble with them? Kosovars are Albanians living in Kosovo and Metohija. Now they want half of Macedonia, part of Montenegro and even some parts of Greece. With strong lobby and criminal connections they have good prospects to get that.

Scottish independence is totally different story. Your case can't even compete with Kosovo, but you would never get independence without spilling a lot of blood or get support of some strong alliess. Even common sense (and international law) tell us you deserve independence more than many others (especially Kosovo).

That's simply realty. Do you think even if 90 % people on referendum decide to F-of empire that you gone be released just like that? Of course not, don't be silly. :)

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
My bitch (not you, yet ) says the same thing. She was born in Belgrade and her parents were Russians. They called her, Ruska, I call her bitch. She doesn't like it. I don't like her but... hey to screw a Serb, why not? Can you seriously believe a nation can exist without incomers?
Serbia and only Serbes? Come on, get serious. Cosanguinite ruling the country like rabid dogs... Mongrels if you prefer. Picking fights with anyone who enters their terrority. Where they piss and shite and drink shlivo, morning noon and night
Expand and mix (might deminish the typical big Serbian nostrils that you use to detect the intrues.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) Serbia and only Serbs?
Did you even read my post? I'm totally against that idea. But yes, that was a semi-official policy during 90s. And not only the Serbs did it. Croats, Bosniaks (by the way that name nobody used until 90s), Albanians ... they all did ethnic cleansing. Put all the blame on the Serbs... but it's simply not fair nor true, but yes we have big share of responsibility for shit during 90s. Many of us (all sides) refusing to admit and take responsibilities of their sides. Making heroes of war criminals and forgetting real heroes.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand