a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

La Mafia Anglaise

Bron

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
He doesn't sound like the sort of person I'd want in my army. I hope the selection people don't see this article and think "fvcking English".

corvee de chotte

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I would put money on the article being a load of chiottes, transfering from the Andrew to the Parachute Regiment just does not happen and a year en taule even I never spent a year en taule, a very long winded Matelot load of bollocks.

Bron

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A lot of Jocks think that mate lol
Haha I've got no doubt they do.

I gotta agree with Corvee to be honest: sounds like a load of bollocks. Could be based on something that actually happened but has been well exaggerated. Like this bit "severe injuries were inflicted on 48 members of the Army, most of whom required urgent hospital attention" hahaha. 6 people with pick axe handles lol.

mulgarat

Actual or Ex Legionnaire - Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Sounds a bit too familiar doesn't it Tommo?

Jeff
Yep, there was some big bananes. Remember walking past the bureau de semaine the morning after a riot in town (involving Legion, Royal Marines, PMs and Shlabords). There was a post on the notice board that read "Ne faites plus de conneries, il n'y a plus de place en taule!". Not many Brits on parade seen that morning.
A line I heard in the Australian Army from a CSM: "Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn" and "the older we get the harder we were". If Moe's story is true it's just another "petite histoire dans la grande histoire de la Légion". May be Voltigeur heard of it before, being from that era.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
What a BS story! There are a few truths (if any) 1)The 2em REP was never based in Sidi Bel Abbes. 2) In 1961, all regiments were still in Algeria, Madagascar and Mayotte. 3) the 1er Rec was based in Mecheria, not that far from Mers-el-Kebir the largest French Naval base in Algeria. 4) We would have at least heard something about it through the grape vine. 5)Cap Bon is Located in Tunesia which was already independend from France.

Burning of a regimental or French flag would have resulted in court martial and punishment in the Compagnie Dicipline for at least six months. I have visited the CD and I can tell you that you will behave after that, at least until you are dismissed from the legion.

Last edited:

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I think we have all heard different versions of this one over the years...

I read the dog bit in a book recently by a guy who claimed to have started the Arta riot....Never heard of him.

Can't beleive anyone would burn the Colours though...Ever.

The Legion in Africa in the 80's was very punchy. My career was shorted by my part in it.

Anyone writing about the Legion in Africa in the 80's would end up in the Hague in the cell next to Ratko and Radivan if they told anything like the truth...

Fortunately not a habit I have...

There we were......surrounded....no hope of relief.....dawn coming through the barbed wire....the dead and wounded everywhere....out of food, low on ammo....no water.....

Just three against a thousand.........toughest three we ever fought......

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I had a mongrell dog bite in my dog tags. If you look close at the pic on my web site, you can distinguish the indents. I went to pet the little bastard went I went to tank petrol at a regular French army depot. While I was bend over my dog tag hung loose and when the little runt went for my throat I pulled back just in time, but he clamped down on my tag. When I left the bastard was still alive!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I would put money on the article being a load of chiottes, transfering from the Andrew to the Parachute Regiment just does not happen and a year en taule even I never spent a year en taule, a very long winded Matelot load of bollocks.
I read it again whilst sober . I fully concur on what the bros have already stated.

Ginge N

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
there's alot of B%$£&%£ thrown in with some truth. Probably make a good book (fiction).

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
CORRECTION: The 1er Rec was still in Khenchela in 1961. Right after the putsch we went to the Sahara (about 90 km south of Colomb-Bechar) we stayed there for about six weeks and THEN moved to Mecheria. (memory goes to pot when you get older). Anyway, if there had been a burning of a regimental flag, I would have met those guys in Compagnie Dicipline and heard about their other exploits. BTW, in those days I never heard of any group being called x-Maffia. The various nationalities were called by their nation's nickname.

John777

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
This is a Legion matter, but just the sheer numbers of those repelled by the magnificent six tells a tale, a very tall one. Damn good reading though...

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I had a mongrell dog bite in my dog tags. If you look close at the pic on my web site, you can distinguish the indents. I went to pet the little bastard went I went to tank petrol at a regular French army depot. While I was bend over my dog tag hung loose and when the little runt went for my throat I pulled back just in time, but he clamped down on my tag. When I left the bastard was still alive!
Sebtimentalist