a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Légion a Beyrouth, RAIDS N°31,1988

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
To put things into perspective, the 2e REP (then commanded by Col Janvier), was dispatched to Beirut to protect the evacuation of the PLO fighters and leaders (including Arafat), after a cease-fire agreement between Israël, who had launched operation “Peace for Galileeâ€￾ in June, and Lebanon. 2e REP landed in the port of Beirut on Aug 21, 1982, followed a few days later by US and Italian forces. The operation was a success, since Palestinians were evacuated without incident (essentially to Tunisia), except the traditional bursts of all sorts of weapons fired in the air... :).
Unfortunately the international forces withdrew too early and on Sept 14, newly elected Lebanese Pdt Bachir Gemayel was killed and a few days later, hundreds (if not thousands) of Palestinians, allegedly civilian, were slaughtered in Sabra and Shatila refugee camps by militia close to the Kataeb party (Phalanges chrétiennes in French).
A new international force called in French FMSB (Force Multinationale de Sécurité à Beyrouth), MNF (Multinational Force in Lebanon) in English. One year later on Oct 23, 1983, USMC and French paras positions (the latter code-name Drakkar) were attacked, killing, 58 French and ~250 US soldiers. FMSB was disbanded in 1984 and its role taken over the FINUL / UNIFIL (present in Lebanon since 1978 and still present nowadays).
Main Legion units having taken part in the FMSB are 1er REC and 2e REI. A few members on the board were part of it (MSN and or UNIFIL), either in the French or other countries' forces...

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You forgot to mention the fact that one of the REP's missions was to get Yassir Arafat out of Beirut. I was on that mission. It was not something any of us relished as we couldn't stand the bastard! But orders were orders!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You forgot to mention the fact that one of the REP's missions was to get yasser Arafat out of Beirut. I was on that mission. It was not something any of us relished. as we couldn't stand the bastard! But orders were orders!

Too bad ya'll did not get him and he accidentally fell out of a helicopter without a parachute, damned the luck.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
You forgot to mention the fact that one of the REP's missions was to get Yassir Arafat out of Beirut. (...)
I did mentioned that Mark, re-read my post.

To put things into perspective, the 2e REP (then commanded by Col Janvier), was dispatched to Beirut to protect the evacuation of the PLO fighters and leaders (including Arafat), (...)

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I did mentioned that Mark, re-read my post.
Bloody hell! Don't get old like me rapace! My mistake. Think I owe you one on another thread too. I can get a bit grumpy and over protective of the regiment sometimes! Forgive me mon ami.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) Forgive me mon ami.
No forgiving necessary... I remember well, in French TV news, when the initial detachment, of 2e REP, with Lt Guermeur at its head, disembarked from a French vessel in the port of Beirut, filmed by many international media...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Rapace, USMCRET and Mark,

We all advance and protect our own units. It is normal. I still remain 'Corpspissed' and like other Marines promote my own.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Was there, in '83 with 5eme Cie 2 REI, brilliant fun.