a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Created my own YouTube channel

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
for those who are new to the Forum, the idea is to watch the videos on Youtube:

Special thanks to NATO MultiMedia TV for the video.
Polski, Hrvatski & Français.
‘Earn your spurs’.

A group of multinational soldiers stationed at NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence Battlegroup Poland take part in a US Cavalry tradition that goes back hundreds of years.
Synopsis
Last year, the 278th Armoured Cavalry Regiment of the US Pennsylvania National Guard stationed at NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence (eFP) Battlegroup Poland conducted its third multinational ‘Spur Ride’.
Candidates from Croatia, Poland, the United Kingdom and the United States completed multiple soldiering tasks while cold, tired and hungry to earn their silver spurs in this cavalry unit rite of passage.

The tradition of having to ‘earn your spurs’ reaches back to the beginning of the US Cavalry. When inexperienced Troopers first arrived at their new cavalry assignments, they were assigned a horse with a shaved tail. This led to the nickname ‘shavetail’ for newly assigned, spur-less soldiers.
The footage, shot prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, includes troops from NATO’s eFP Battlegroup Poland taking part in the Spur Ride and receiving their spurs.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'll hopefully be posting a video of 2 REI working with the Yanks, the video dates 2014, in the Camp de Carriques. They are firing the LRAC, which I'll give you the run down on.

However that isn't why I have interrupted your leisurely browsing of the forum, I've got something else !o_O:whistle: .
Ossie O. has sent me a video (daily motion) it is in French so I will put in the subtitles. Watch this space.
For the 2 REI video, check out my channel.
First of all I'm going on my jog, which I am already late for.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
What a mission that was. I up loaded it to my own youtube page to check if it would pass the copyright thingy that Youtube has in place. I decided to do the whole thing there and then shift it to my chanel. Never again, unless someone knows how to upload a video with the subs from one account to another?
The A/C is talking about the Dynamic 2REI being the legion's elite infantry.
Not only that he says that the only tests that have to be done is a short run... Well he is there to recruit.
Cheers Ossie O.
Keep em coming mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
What a mission that was. I up loaded it to my own youtube page to check if it would pass the copyright thingy that Youtube has in place. I decided to do the whole thing there and then shift it to my chanel. Never again, unless someone knows how to upload a video with the subs from one account to another?
The A/C is talking about the Dynamic 2REI being the legion's elite infantry.
Not only that he says that the only tests that have to be done is a short run... Well he is there to recruit.
Cheers Ossie O.
Keep em coming mate.

This Adjudant chef looks square and fair! His shoulder patch insignia, is that COMLE? Or 2 REI? It seems somehow familiar so I must have seen it somewhere else.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
This thread should be between the "sticky" one's. I'd even venture to say, it's a good source of information about the FFL so it deserves more "spotlight".
Very much appreciate the effort Mr. Cosgrove! Have a good day!
Because I had so much trouble with that particular video, as soon as it was 'done' I posted it. I have since then been back to review it ; made the speech times a bit longer where possible. I completed the description and then put it into French. It hasn't been up for 24 hours but has 90 views, which is good for my channel.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
No fourragère....1 R.E. (but they now have the Croix de guerre one like the 2 REI...
If REC...he is not an Adjudant or an Adjudant Chef but a Lieutenant
COMLE staff, maybe a garde chiffon ?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
No fourragère....1 R.E. (but they now have the Croix de guerre one like the 2 REI...
If REC...he is not an Adjudant or an Adjudant Chef but a Lieutenant
COMLE staff, maybe a garde chiffon ?
If he was REC he would addressed as "Mon. Lieutenant", it dates back to the Napoleonic wars. In my opinion he is GRLE Groupement de recrutement de la Légion étrangère, which I believe comes under the COMLE which is a regiment unto its own, therefore no fourragère.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Here is the 2 REI film that I promised. It's actually a bit of a disappointment. The only highlight is when the officer tries to explain in English what is going to happen. Why he did not rehearse it is anyone's guess.
Oh by the way, I'm in the 3 figures with the adjudant chef's / Ossie O's video.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Here is the 2 REI film that I promised. It's actually a bit of a disappointment. The only highlight is when the officer tries to explain in English what is going to happen. Why he did not rehearse it is anyone's guess.
Oh by the way, I'm in the 3 figures with the adjudant chef's / Ossie O's video.

Thanks for the likes, FdeG and Tonyus, but the idea is that you give a thumbs up on my channel. What do you think about the guy/s little speech in English :cautious::unsure::whistle::love::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

“You need to be mentally alert. You need to be very observant,” says Canadian Army Private Eamon Fordham, a reconnaissance patrolman tasked with guiding friendly forces to their objective.
Synopsis Private Eamon Fordham chose the hard path in the Canadian infantry – he’s a reconnaissance patrolman, tasked with scouting enemy positions and guiding friendly forces to their objective.
It’s a job for which he’s uniquely suited – the forests of his native Canada are similar to those in Latvia, where he was deployed as part of NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence Battlegroup.
Footage includes shots of Fordham and his squad on patrol in Latvia.

Take care to note that the chef de groupe is using a ("old fashioned" ) map & compass, which is much more reliable than a GPS, which needs batteries and can break. No matter what happens Magnetic north will always be there.

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
(...)
Take care to note that the chef de groupe is using a ("old fashioned" ) map & compass, which is much more reliable than a GPS, which needs batteries and can break. No matter what happens Magnetic north will always be there.
As someone who is paid to annoy people on the road (truck driver), I wholeheartedly agree. While no doubt useful, putting blind faith in GPS can cause some serious trouble.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Armour and infantry from NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence Battlegroups joined US troops for some force-on-force action during Exercise Eager Leopard 2021 in Lithuania.

Synopsis

Held in Lithuania, Exercise Eager Leopard 2021 was a combined multinational exercise testing the capabilities of both NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence Battlegroup Lithuania and US forces in performing joint operations. The force-on-force drills also gathered members of eFP Battlegroups Estonia and Latvia at Pabrade Training Grounds in late September.

Footage includes a selection of drone and go-pro shots of Dutch, US, German and Norwegian armour moving through the training area.

In today’s modern foreign legion, it is important to be able to identify Friend from foe. Whether you are GCP or behind a Poste de tir MILAN or a VAB HOT operator, you had better know what it coming towards you. I have added a video to help you recognize the least well known of the 3 NATO vehicles.