a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Created my own YouTube channel

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You know the rules lads, to be watched on YouTube

Description in, French Latvian & Estonian SUBS in English.
You may as well get used to it, in the Légion you WILL be training with the French regulars.
French Marines and armour joined other units from NATO’s eFP Battlegroup Estonia for a live-fire exercise in Latvia.
Synopsis
French Marines and armour are currently serving with NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence Battlegroup in Estonia. A combined arms element of roughly 300 troops, including Leclerc battle tanks and infantry fighting vehicles have been part of the British-led Battlegroup since May. On 10 September 2019, they trained alongside British tanks in Ādaži, Latvia as part of Exercise Furious Hawk.

Footage includes shots of French Marines practising mechanised infantry manoeuvres; Leclerc tanks during live-fire drills, and Marine snipers practising marksmanship. Interviews with French Captain Valentin and French Lieutenant Marc
(surnames withheld for operational security, per French Armed Forces policy).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You missed out the live fire (tankies) multi national live fire where the french won
I can only post what is available. Most of the NATO videos are a minute long ! Most of the time they just go and stop someone and ask him to show his kit - at least that is the impression that I get. The guy's got more pens with him than his local Librarie.

Here is one that I posted last night: (I've got a couple more on the books.)

I would like to thank the "#we are NATO" film crew for this video.
Description in English & Français.
Ever wondered what an army tanker carries in their kit bag? We are NATO caught up with one to ask.
Synopsis
What do army tankers carry in their kit bags? In this piece, the question is answered by a British tank crewman serving with the King’s Royal Hussars. His regiment is deployed with NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence Battlegroup in Estonia, led by the United Kingdom.
The footage includes soundbites from Lance Corporal Ashfield, King’s Royal Hussars of the British Army, and detailed close-ups of kit he carries in his bag.
I am certain that in his pocket he will have a compass and not only relying on his GPS.

CPers stands for captured personnel. I could not find one to show you but I can tell you what it entails :
Handling Kit which includes, but is not limited to:
Heavy duty cable tie,
Evidence bag,
Ear plugs,
Cable tie cutter,
Disposable gloves vinyl,
Eye mask,
Ink marker pen.

Basically when a person is captured, he must be isolated from his comrades.
This is so that they cannot come up with a 'plan' or some kind of story. It would not surprise me if there was a roll of duct tape in there: ear plugs and eye masks would not be enough to shut someone up. After he has been searched, his weapon must be cleared, which is why it is always beneficial to take part in these Forward Presence Battlegroups.
One good thing is to learn about the different weapons and kit that our allies use. One thing that I remarked on compared to his French counterpart, is that he did not have a side arm with him. Neither does he have night goggles, albeit they would be issued if he they were going on a night patrol.

Now if that doesn't deserve a 'like' sur YOUTUBE, than I don't know what does.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1631876562082.png
That's a Yougo M 84

Allied and partner armoured units gathered in Germany for Combined Resolve, a US-led exercise.
Special thanks to the NATO Multi Media TV crew.
Description in Français, українська Slovenski, SUBS in French
Synopsis
Allied and partner armoured units gathered in Germany end September for Combined Resolve, a US-led exercise in which the 2nd Armoured Brigade Combat Team (ABCT) tested its readiness against an opposing force.
Nearly 3,500 troops spread out across the Joint Multinational Readiness Centre in Hohenfels to train. The 2nd ABCT deployed to Europe earlier this year for Exercise Defender-Europe 20, and remained there after the drills were adapted because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Participating nations included NATO member nations France, Italy, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, the United States, and NATO partner nation Ukraine. Soldiers were tested for COVID-19 prior to the beginning of the exercise to limit the potential spread of the virus. Footage includes shots of Italian (MRAP), Slovenian M 84 (MBT), Ukrainian BMP1 armored troop carrier and US armor units Bradley & Abrams, maneuvering in the field. To finish off by an interview with a Slovenian armor officer.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In no way am I trying to claim to have anything to do with the making or producing of this video. It was sent to me by Ossie O

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Joe Cos, Arta plague was where we trained. 2REP 3Cie ...my 3 times company tour Djibouti. A few photos from the last outpost of the Legion in Africa at that time....

Attachments

• 20210918_154402.jpg
    20210918_154402.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210918_154224.jpg
    20210918_154224.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210918_154517.jpg
    20210918_154517.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210918_154442.jpg
    20210918_154442.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210918_154251.jpg
    20210918_154251.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I Joined the 3rd Cie a year after spending two years in Djib. A year in the swimming pool and a year down in Arta Plage. It was the most extraordinary of circumstances. The Cch who should have been detached to run the foyer in Arta broke his arm a week before. After my 4 months the CDU asked me if I wanted to stay on and work down in the Centre Amphibie...
I stayed there until I broke my fingers in Chad...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Definitely not my best video, I'd advise watching it with the sound turned down really low.

Make sure that you have the SUBS available.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Before sitting back and enjoying the film,
I would like to repeat my request for a thumb nail ont the St Michel - legion theme. This is going to be a biggy. It's going to contain as much as I can remember on St Michel, why the Sept. 29th, why among others the Paras are have adopted him as their patron saint. Whenever a group of winged (French - including the legion) are gathered on the day, they say Et Par St Michel... Viva les Paras!

and for a bit more encouragement, here's another, with the description :

What are the essentials of an Apache pilot’s kit?
British Army pilot ‘Jonny’ shows you.
Synopsis

Have you ever wondered what helicopter pilots carry on them? A British Army Apache AH1 pilot gives us a comprehensive look inside his kit bag.
Footage includes an interview with WO2 ‘Jonny’, an Apache pilot in the British Army, speaking about the essentials an Apache pilot carries in the cockpit as well as close-ups of items in his kit.

The British Army deployed Apaches to Estonia in April 2019 to augment NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence Battlegroup, which is led by the United Kingdom. The attack helicopters have practised integrating with multinational forces, participating in multiple exercises. The Apache’s speed, manoeuvrability and payload make it invaluable to ground operations.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Here's another one to show any of the newcomers that I'm serious about the St Michel thumbnail

Nearly forgot the description

Much appreciation for this video from The NATO Muti Media TV crew.
SUBS in English, Description in Italiano & Français

Chief Major Corporal Giacomo Russo, a combat engineer with the Italian Army’s 21st Engineer Regiment (21° Reggimento Genio Guastatori), tells us what’s in his kit. Combat engineers have a wide range of responsibilities on the battlefield – from constructing fortifications and defences, to repairing infrastructure, to clearing minefields and dealing with unexploded ordnance.

Interview with Chief Major Corporal Giacomo Russo, who tells us what’s in his bag. Interview filmed during Exercise Combined Resolve 20 in Hohenfels, Germany. Participants were tested for COVID-19 prior to entering the exercise area, and abided by social distancing requirements wherever possible. Synopsis With a metal detector, combat engineers can clear minefields and detect other buried munitions.
What else does an Italian combat engineer carry in his bag?

On a personal note : I was surprised that there is no individual protection against IEDs. I have worked (doing protection) with French engineers and I can tell you that they were kitted as though they were going to the moon.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Special thanks to the NATO Multi Media TV Crew.
From 20 to 23 September 2021, 27 Allies and partners and 16 regional and international organisations came together in and around the cities of Ohrid and Struga in North Macedonia, practicing their ability to work together and save lives during high-intensity natural disasters.
“North Macedonia 2021” was the 19th disaster response exercise organised by NATO’s Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre (EADRCC), co-organised this year by the Crisis Management Centre of North Macedonia.

Drawn from past real-life disaster incidents, the scenario combined search and rescue operations, flood response, response to chemical, biological or radiological incidents and counter-disinformation campaigns.

Search and rescue teams from various NATO Allies and partner countries are taking part in a disaster response exercise in North Macedonia. Synopsis North Macedonia is hosting a disaster-response exercise, jointly organised by NATO’s Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre (EADRCC) and the Crisis Management Center of the Republic of North Macedonia.

Exercise ‘North Macedonia 2021’ involves 27 NATO Allies and partner countries, along with 16 regional and international organisations. The scenario for the exercise is based on urban search and rescue operations; mountain search and rescue; flood response; response to chemical, biological and radiological incidents; and fake-news campaigns.

Footage includes various shots of search and rescue mock scenarios and soundbites with Marc Di Paolo, Director, Defence Institution and Capacity Building at NATO and Aco Vulević, Deputy Team Leader, Directorate for Search and Rescue, Ministry of Interior of Montenegro.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Special thanks to: Video by Pfc. Matthew Mackintosh U.S. Army Pacific Public Affairs Office and to my old mate from 'Off Track Places' for the use of this video.
Indo-Pacific Army Chiefs Conference "support by fire" element during live fire filmed during the 25th infantry division Capabilities exercise.
The CAPEX demonstrates the full range of combat power to the 25th Infantry Division You will see the newly improved, lighter version of the M240 (L) in sustained fire capacity.

The US Rangers 2nd Battalion, the 'heroes of Normandy' (1) will demonstrate how to avoid overheating a barrel.

(1) Because of their navigational mishap, the Rangers did not land on the beach until 0710, nearly forty minutes after their scheduled time. The delay gave the Germans enough time to recuperate, reposition their defenses, and lay heavy gunfire on the incoming Rangers from companies D, E, and F.

A capabilities exercise (CAPEX) is a form of military or emergency response exercise.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
There is one little f@ck-up on it, but by the time I'd finished the first one, in French, then translated it into English, I couldn't be bothered.

Welcome to the 6th episode of the Legion traditions.
This time, we're going to look at the 2nd REP which will celebrate St. Michael's Day on September 29. More importantly, we'll look at where the date of this holiday comes from and why St. Michael? Who exactly is he, where is he in the hierarchy of angels.

Then we'll look at those pesky shirt creases, which are so annoying and hard to iron, especially on a new shirt,.

Then we'll look at the green beret, why that particular color. Did you know that it was the 13th DBLE who was the first to wear a beret? And that the "13" never wore the "Bonnet de Police" which was the official name of the Calot.

You will notice that these three subjects have a common point: Indochina.

I would like to wish everyone in the name of the Cervens: a French Foreign Legion forum: A Happy St. Michael!

At the same time, I would like to thank all those of the forum who contributed to this video, especially "Kronenbourg" & Le Petit Caporal (LPC).

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A lot of research well presented Joe. Well done.

Seeing the matchbox thing bought back memories! Any double creases and you didn't get past the gate on a Friday. I had a shirt issued to me ('80 I guess) that had 5 back creases rather than 3 so there was presumably some debate prior to '91 about that. The matchbox was definitely in use then.
It took me a while back in civvy street to get rid of creases down the front of the arm on my suit jackets too. Dry cleaners used to look at me as if I was crazy asking for that.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
A lot of research well presented Joe. Well done.

Seeing the matchbox thing bought back memories! Any double creases and you didn't get past the gate on a Friday. I had a shirt issued to me ('80 I guess) that had 5 back creases rather than 3 so there was presumably some debate prior to '91 about that. The matchbox was definitely in use then.
It took me a while back in civvy street to get rid of creases down the front of the arm on my suit jackets too. Dry cleaners used to look at me as if I was crazy asking for that.
Thanks mate,

It is funny that you should mention the creases, it brought back so many memories.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sorry about the grief today by the way with S. Annoying but funny. Ignore them - you've got better things to do :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

On this day of St Michel, I have put up two videos.
One is of a Polish Para and the other is of an Italian Rigger.

One quick one, the REP folds, repairs & maintains it's own 'chutes.

“Every rigger should like to be a jumper, a paratrooper,” says Giorgio Graziano, a former Italian paratrooper who now rigs parachutes. Synopsis When Giorgio Graziano served as an officer in the Italian Army, he was an airborne soldier, trained to parachute into combat.
Now a civilian, Graziano packs parachutes for the European Paratroopers Association, a non-governmental organisation based in Slovakia. It’s an important job, he says, and one he prefers to do in silence.
Footage includes shots of Graziano rigging parachutes, and paratroopers jumping.

Paratroopers are often the first behind enemy lines, dropping from the skies directly into combat zones.
So what does a Polish paratrooper carry in their pack to ensure they’re prepared for anything as soon as they touch the ground?

Synopsis

Paratroopers are often the first behind enemy lines, dropping from the skies directly into combat zones.
So what does a Polish paratrooper carry in their kit to ensure they’re prepared for anything as soon as they touch the ground?

Footage includes Corporal Tomasz Szęciński of the Polish 6th Airborne Brigade showing what he carries in his backpack. The contents are specifically selected to enable him to survive behind enemy lines without support.

Filmed at Drawsko Pomorskie Training Area, Poland, during Exercise Swift Response 18, designed to test the ability of the coalition forces to respond quickly and effectively to potential crisis situations on the European continent.