a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Created my own YouTube channel

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

It seems that the Afghans were doing it on there own in 2018, which makes you wonder why they ran away in 2021.
To be watched on youtube.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
A couple of videos that my mate from OFF TRACK PLACES sent me. I can't help but wonder how the legion bloke communicates with the Afghans? Rank certainly has it's privileges, because you cannot tell me that there isn't a S/off Anglophone in the regiment that that guy is from,
As always to be watched on YouTube

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Bastille day parade 2021 1ère REC à l'honneur with footage of live firing.

1626146786631.png1626234573926.png
I've decided to make a few changes to my video publicity, starting my the tank, which as most of you will already be aware of is an AMX10 RC. The RC stands for Roue Canon, or Wheels Canon, which makes it out to be very crude. Nothing can be more the opposite. I figured that showing an AMX on the Champs Ëlysées might help get some of you take you thumbs out of your bums and to take a bit of interest in a legion regiment. Yes there are other regiments besides the REP.

I've even upgraded the description:
This year celebrates the 100th anniversary of the creation of the legion's only remaining cavalry unit. In honor of this, they have been chosen to represent the French foreign Legion on the bastille day parade. They will be, as always due to their slow marching pace the last of the foot regiments.

The REC will be proceeded by the legion's own band and of course the procession will led by the famous pioneers.

"Of the 156 other ranks of the newly formed 1er REC, 128 were Russians. A significant contingent hailed from the White Army of Wrangle.* These included thirty officers (one a former general of the Imperial Russian Army and one a former colonel); 14 non-commissioned officers and 33 Cossacks. Most of the remainder had served as regular cavalrymen with the Wrangle forces."

This video will give you a basic idea of what this complicated regiment uses on it's maneuvers and during it's preparations to defend the legionnaire's adopted country. Legio Patria Nostra.
It also includes footage of live firing and maneuvers.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I recorded it and translated it:
1626273228236.png

I have taken the time to translate this video and to load it up. That in spite of the three commentators who had only rehearsed a couple of points. The rest were made up on the spot. This is the follow up to Bastille day parade 2021 1ère REC à l'honneur with footage of live firing.

I'm sure that by now you know where to find it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
to keep the momentum going,
Crossword, back to the basics. Questions in English answers in French

I suppose it's like the Miranda warning and the time limit to post something, reminder please watch on youtube.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I have only just gotten around to posting the above mentioned, as when I was trying to fit it into another youtube post, it was left in private mode.
View attachment 6897 dosey c@nt, yea
Anyway I've gotten round to checking if the edit mode in classrooms works and it does.
I'd be quick as I don't know if you remember what happened to the last chef d'œuvre?
BTW I did the œ by pressing Alt 0156, did anyone bother to print them out or am I wasting my time?
View attachment 6896
I've just put a new name and a new adresse (Paris) on my channel to whom you should send you letters to if you wish to give it another attempt.
You will find it in the description of the video Letters to COMLE.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yes that is correct. Which will explain why have I have been reasonably absent this week. It turned out to be a lot harder than I thought it would be.
It's called Joe's Hob Hunter's Channel. It gives people the chance to upload their own videos. I got the idea from the Aussi tourist Board when they published a job offer for 'the best job in the world'. You had to send in a video to explain why you were the best candidate for the job. It is at the time of writing this, 3 hours old, although I will start it off by publishing a video of myself tomorrow.
Here is the link to it:

Please like ▶ and share
Just subscribed. Thank you for the channel. Will watch and share on my down time.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
to keep the momentum going,
Crossword, back to the basics. Questions in English answers in French

I suppose it's like the Miranda warning and the time limit to post something, reminder please watch on youtube.

Here is the link in case anyone wants to try it directly on line:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
NATO ships are taking part in Exercise Breeze 2021 in the Black Sea. The Bulgarian-led maritime exercise involves forces from 14 NATO Allies and partners. NATO ships are taking part in Exercise Breeze 2021 in the Black Sea.

The Bulgarian-led maritime exercise, which began on 11 July and wraps up on 19 July, involves forces from 14 NATO Allies and partners – Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Georgia, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Poland, Romania, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Kingdom and the United States. Two of four NATO fleets are participating – Standing NATO Maritime Group Two (SNMG2) and Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group Two (SNMCMG2). The exercise aims to enhance interoperability among participating units and strengthen NATO’s readiness in the Black Sea region. It is an annual exercise, dating back to 1996. Footage includes various shots from a demonstration day that was held in the port of Varna in Bulgaria.

The exercise only finished yesterday

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Across Europe, NATO fighter jets are on duty around the clock, ready to scramble in case of suspicious or unannounced flights near the airspace of our Allies. NATO calls this activity Air Policing, which has been an integral part of NATO Integrated Air and Missile Defence for 60 years. In this series, we’ll explore NATO’s five special air policing arrangements to ensure the integrity of NATO’s airspace and the defence of our almost one billion citizens. In the Western European countries of Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg, keeping the skies safe is a team effort. In an arrangement known as Benelux Air Policing, the Belgian and Dutch Air Forces trade responsibility for patrolling the skies over the three countries. Footage includes shots of Belgian Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcons.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1627988738542.png
Where to start in the French foreign legion with its numerous traditions and customs and its unwritten laws. I thought that I would start with the legionnaires television. These four items are that which the civilian population most know about the foreign legionnaires.
Par où commencer dans la Légion étrangère avec ses nombreuses traditions et coutumes et ses lois non écrites. Je pensais que je commencerais par la télévision des légionnaires. Ces quatre éléments sont ceux que la population civile connaît le mieux sur les légionnaires étrangers.

Jahām̐ yasakō dhērai paramparāharu ra paramparāharu ra yasakō alikhita kānūnaharu saṅga phrānsēlī vidēśī sēnā mā śurū garna kō lāgī. Malā'ī lāgyō ki ma legionnaires ṭēlibhijana saṅga śurū hunēcha. Yī cāra vastuharu hun ki nāgarika janasaṅkhyā dhērai vidēśī legionnaires kō bārē mā thāhā cha.

I must apologize to the ‘anciens from Quratier Lapasset’ for not having found a photo to work from from the days where everything was folded into the lockers half the size of those that are now issued to the legionnaires. In those days all of your uniforms were folded into a rectangle with the front of the rectangle (one of the short sides) the width of a stools’ legs.

Je dois m'excuser auprès des « anciens du Quratier Lapasset » de n'avoir pas trouvé de photo pour travailler du temps où tout était plié dans des casiers deux fois moins grands que ceux qui sont maintenant distribués aux légionnaires. À cette époque, tous vos uniformes étaient pliés en un rectangle avec le devant du rectangle (l'un des côtés courts) de la largeur des pieds d'un tabouret.

Mam̐ 'Quratier Lapasset bāṭa ēnsi'ansa' mā māphī māgnu parcha juna dinaharu bāṭa kāma garna kō lāgī ēka phōṭō bhēṭi'ēna jahām̐ sabai cījaharu lā'īkaraharu mā ādhā sā'ija jō aba legionnaires lā'ī jārī garī'ēkō cha kō ādhā ākāra mā rākhi'ēkō thiyō. Tī dinaharumā tapā'im̐kō vardī kō sabai ēka āyatākāra kō sāmanē āyatākāra saṅga jōḍi'ēkō thiyō (chōṭō pakṣaharu madhyē ēka) mala kō khuṭṭā kō cauḍā'ī.

Your ‘Television’ also had your ‘gamelles’ (mess tins) with your fork and spoon crossed in the center on one side. And your cup and water bottle on the other side. I’m told that this dates back to the days when the legion was in Algeria. That way the NCO could see at a glance if the legionnaire’s kit was complete and if it was clean.

Votre « Télévision » avait également vos « gamelles » avec votre fourchette et votre cuillère croisées au centre d’un côté. Et ton quart et ton bidon de l'autre côté. On me dit que cela remonte à l'époque où la légion était en Algérie. De cette façon, le sous-officier pouvait voir en un coup d'œil si le kit du légionnaire était complet et s'il était propre.

Tapā'im̐kō'ṭēlibhijana' mā tapā'im̐kō kām̐ṭā ra cam'maca ēka chē'umā kēndra mā pāra saṅga tapā'im̐kō'gamelles' (mēsa ṭina) thiyō. Ra arkō paṭṭi tapā'im̐kō kapa ra pānī kō bōtala. Malā'ī bhani'ēkō cha ki yō tī dinaharu kō lāgī hō jaba sēnā aljēriyā mā thiyō. Yasa tarīkālē NCO ēka najara mā dēkhna sakdacha yadi legionnaire kō kiṭa pūrā bhayō ra yadi yō saphā thiyō.

On the subject of the colors of the legion. No-one really knows for sure. It has to be remembered that the legion was a, if not small part of the French army, I would dare to say insignificant part. Cannon fodder would not be too much to describe them back in those very early days. No-one would care less if a foreigner without papers died in one of France’s many colonies.

Au sujet des couleurs de la légion. Personne ne le sait vraiment avec certitude. Il faut se rappeler que la légion était une partie, sinon une petite partie de l'armée française, j'oserais dire une partie insignifiante. La chair à canon ne serait pas de trop pour les décrire à ces tout premiers jours. Personne ne s'en soucierait moins si un étranger sans papiers mourait dans l'une des nombreuses colonies de France.

So whether it was the Swiss who brought the colors… at the time when the legion was coming up to its centenary they were the most prominent colors. We have all heard of the expression to “rally to the colors” and generally to use them to maintain unit cohesiveness. So the legion adopted the colors green and red. At what date and its origins I cannot say for sure.

Alors que ce soit les Suisses qui ont apporté les couleurs… à l'époque où la légion approchait de son centenaire, c'étaient les couleurs les plus marquantes. Nous avons tous entendu parler de l'expression « se rallier aux couleurs » et généralement de les utiliser pour maintenir la cohésion de l'unité. La légion adopta donc les couleurs vert et rouge. À quelle date et ses origines, je ne peux pas dire avec certitude.

I'd like to say a special thank-you to Adrian Fryer & Eugene Stoner for confirming that the 1 REC still use the couvre Képi. Now that IS a regiment who keeps it's traditions alive.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

In English with French subtitles.
Safe Skies: Norwegian F-35 patruljerer Islands luftrom
Un ciel sûr : Des F-35 norvégiens patrouillent dans l'espace aérien islandais.

Across Europe, NATO fighter jets are on duty around the clock, ready to scramble in case of suspicious or unannounced flights near the airspace of our Allies. NATO calls this activity Air Policing, which has been an integral part of NATO Integrated Air and Missile Defence for 60 years. In this series, we’ll explore NATO’s five special air policing arrangements to ensure the integrity of NATO’s airspace and the defence of our almost one billion citizens. Welcome to Iceland. Strategically located, the country is invaluable to the Alliance’s situational awareness. Iceland has no military, so other NATO Allies contribute fighter jets on a rotating basis. They fly out of Keflavík Air Base near the capital Reykjavík. Footage includes shots of Royal Norwegian Air Force F-35s flying over and around Iceland as part of NATO’s Iceland Peacetime Preparedness Mission.

I hele Europa er NATO jagerfly på vakt døgnet rundt, klare til å krype i tilfelle mistenkelige eller uanmeldte flyreiser nær luftrommet til våre allierte. NATO kaller denne aktiviteten Air Policing, som har vært en integrert del av NATOs integrerte luft- og missilforsvar i 60 år. I denne serien vil vi utforske NATOs fem spesielle luftpolitiopplegg for å sikre integriteten til NATOs luftrom og forsvaret av våre nesten en milliard innbyggere. Velkommen til Island. Strategisk plassert er landet uvurderlig for Alliansens situasjonsbevissthet. Island har ingen militær, så andre NATO -allierte bidrar med jagerfly roterende. De flyr ut av Keflavík flybase nær hovedstaden Reykjavík. Opptak inkluderer bilder av Royal Norwegian Air Force F-35s som flyr over og rundt Island som en del av NATOs Island Peacetime Preparedness Mission.

Dans toute l'Europe, des avions de chasse de l'OTAN sont en service 24 heures sur 24, prêts à décoller en cas de vol suspect ou inopiné à proximité de l'espace aérien de nos Alliés. L'OTAN appelle cette activité la police du ciel, qui fait partie intégrante de la défense aérienne et antimissile intégrée de l'OTAN depuis 60 ans. Dans cette série, nous allons étudier les cinq dispositifs spéciaux de police du ciel de l'OTAN qui permettent de garantir l'intégrité de l'espace aérien de l'OTAN et la défense de nos presque un milliard de citoyens. Bienvenue en Islande. Situé à un endroit stratégique, ce pays est d'une valeur inestimable pour la connaissance de la situation de l'Alliance. L'Islande n'ayant pas d'armée, les autres Alliés de l'OTAN lui fournissent des avions de combat à tour de rôle. Ils décollent de la base aérienne de Keflavík, près de la capitale Reykjavík. La vidéo comprend des images de F-35 de l'Armée de l'air royale norvégienne qui survolent l'Islande et ses environs dans le cadre de la mission OTAN de préparation de l'Islande en temps de paix.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
For anyone who has 6 minutes to spare: I need your advise.
Not on the layout, on the content. The layout I'll take care of.
What I'd like you to do is to put yourself in the shoes of someone who is about to join. This is (a very rough draft) of the checklist he needs to tick off before he leaves.

I would really like to get this out on Monday morning, so any help would be much appreciated.
No need to watch this one on Youtube.

Post Shitum why for Monday? because I've got to start work on part two of the traditions videos.