a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Created my own YouTube channel

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You have done an outstanding job on keeping things going on the forum! Kudos also to LPC..volt..Pink Floyd and our other regular members..and although you may not hear it much from other anciens your work on YouTube and Facebook has been noticed! and certainly an invaluable tool for those young lads who interested in joining the legion and how to go about it. Cheers mate.
Thanks mate, it's very much appreciated.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I can't help but notice that Pink Floyd pipped me at the post, never mind

You can watch the full version, which is over 15 minutes long on my YouTube channel. here is the first three and last three slides.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
While we're on the subject, does anyone remember Jackanory tell us a story? Well it was a children's program where someone would read out a story and there would be the odd pictures? What I'm looking for is someone who can draw or color to highlight my book which I'll post on line. I'll need a drawing (or a sketch) every 4 or 5 pages, any offers (benevolent of course). I'd like to be able to publish a chapter a week. There are 23 chapters, with an epilogue.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I can't help but notice that Pink Floyd pipped me at the post, never mind

You can watch the full version, which is over 15 minutes long on my YouTube channel. here is the first three and last three slides.
thank you Joseph...it was a cold dreary day in January 1977 when I knocked on that door at fort nogent many years ago to join the legion..the memories haven’t faded!.in particular that operation..the comrades that we lost.. Sargent/ chef Daniel was my promo instructor. a hard man but a soldiers soldier. He taught me well!..caporal/chef Aloui did not really know him except he was CEA company..the three mates that I lost in my section in the 1ere cie... cpl harte always the proper caporal!..1ere class clement..the ladies man! Always pressing his uniform for a night down town! and my best mate cpl arnold with that lopsided grin passing me a cup of char over the campfire after a long exhausting March!..those memories are priceless.. and somehow I think they are still there in the shadows when I am alone on my patio..giving strength to this old ancien... Rest In Peace my brothers.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi all,

My mate from off track sent me a video of the 13 and 1 REG in Japan. He said that he has the authorization for me to post it.
It's not much of a video, but I would appreciate it if you would watch it on YouTube, leave a comment and if you are not too tired after that, leave a like. However two out of three ain't bad.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi all,

My mate from off track sent me a video of the 13 and 1 REG in Japan. He said that he has the authorization for me to post it.
It's not much of a video, but I would appreciate it if you would watch it on YouTube, leave a comment and if you are not too tired after that, leave a like. However two out of three ain't bad.

Thanks for the thumbs up Perun, I just wish that there were a few more like you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Agree.. one of our best members!
And I'll second Mark agreeing with me :oops:o_O;);).
When I was looking for Photos for my Kolwezi remembrance, I came across your avatar, I forget who had put it on the web, not you. I wouldn't have used it as I didn't have time to ask you permission, the whole thing was kind of a rush job, and I was trying out a new technic for transferring from one slid to the next.

Most of the photos that I found had the Kepi Blanc info watermark on them. I don't agree with this at all. What gives KB info the right to put their watermark on every photo that they have ever used? Have they asked that person their permission to claim their image as their own?

Sure they can write an article and copy or use a photo and add their watermark as long as it does not appear in the public domaine. Alamy are the worst for that.
1621642553304.png
I would have loved to use that photo, info wasn't even around at that time ! It would be different if it was Képi Blanc magazine.

1621642738013.png

I used this photo because it's a classic. I found it on Operation Red Bean, which is the name that Belgian Para Commandos gave to their support role in the Ops.
It was the great man Sir Winston Churchill, who said that no operation should have a silly name (or words to that effect) because he did not want family to learn later that their loved ones had been killed on operation...
As it happens two Para Commandos had been killed on operation Red Bean.

If anyone hasn't watched my video, be my guest, and leave a like and a comment.

BTW it is foreign legion info

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
And I'll second Mark agreeing with me :oops:o_O;);).
When I was looking for Photos for my Kolwezi remembrance, I came across your avatar, I forget who had put it on the web, not you. I wouldn't have used it as I didn't have time to ask you permission, the whole thing was kind of a rush job, and I was trying out a new technic for transferring from one slid to the next.

Most of the photos that I found had the Kepi Blanc info watermark on them. I don't agree with this at all. What gives KB info the right to put their watermark on every photo that they have ever used? Have they asked that person their permission to claim their image as their own?

Sure they can write an article and copy or use a photo and add their watermark as long as it does not appear in the public domaine. Alamy are the worst for that.
View attachment 6940
I would have loved to use that photo, info wasn't even around at that time ! It would be different if it was Képi Blanc magazine.

View attachment 6941

I used this photo because it's a classic. I found it on Operation Red Bean, which is the name that Belgian Para Commandos gave to their support role in the Ops.
It was the great man Sir Winston Churchill, who said that no operation should have a silly name (or words to that effect) because he did not want family to learn later that their loved ones had been killed on operation...
As it happens two Para Commandos had been killed on operation Red Bean.

If anyone hasn't watched my video, be my guest, and leave a like and a comment.

BTW it is foreign legion info
Don’t have time now... there are a number of reasons why photos and stuff was so condensed!..you have an acute mind Joseph!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Just loaded up a video on my YouTube channel

1621941667884.png

Cpl Dean S was 37 when he gave the interview. It doesn't mention what age he joined, but 37 as a Cpl is quite old.
The video is called The legion celebrates the liberation of Kuwait. It was the 20th anniversary. they also interview a major from the guards who seems to like the French.

I also got a visit from 666, He is calling himself Raging Bull, he is dressing up as clown :oops: :ROFLMAO:. I don't think that that is necessary. ;);):whistle:
Dusanboss also got a visit from him.
I'll explain who he is tomorrow, in the mean time, if anyone wants a laugh, type in the search tab DCLXVI.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Interesting to hear from him. Wonder is he still serving.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1622527235589.png

My latest video on Youtube channel. It's Marsouins and the US Marines. I have put in subtitles (a first on my part).
If you don't know what a Marsouin is, then check out the video. The ones in the video are in the same battalion as 2 REI, 1 REC and 1 REG.
Did you know that they were created the same year as the Legion in 1800 and something ?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1622807143222.png

A film on the legion doing house clearing while they were in Japan last month, here is the YouTube description:

ARC 21 kicked off on 12 May 2021 with the Royal Australian Navy, Marine Nationale, JMSDF and US Navy in waters off the coast of Kagoshima, Japan. La France sent a frigate and the pride of it's fleet the 'Tonnerre' an amphibious assault helicopter carrier. It also sent the pride of it's 6th light armored brigade spearheaded by the 13DBLE and the 1st REG. The troops were on the Tonnerre for a total of 10 weeks, more than enough time to get their sea legs. The video shows the assault and clearing of an occupied building by legionnaires accompanied by an observer (with the beige colored helmet). It is clear that this is the first time that the legionnaires have entered the premises. An excellent try run for them, as I don't have to remind you that when the SAS went into Princess Gate, they had spent hours rehearsing different scenarios. I'm not comparing the two situations, I'm merely pointing out that it is with this kind of training that you become the best. The French have a saying: it is by (being a blacksmith) that one becomes a blacksmith. c'est en forgeon qu'on devient forgeron. We would simplify that to: practice makes perfect. This was the final exercise in a joint Ops consisting of Australian, French, Japanese and American forces to share experiences, tactics, and to sharpen their skills together.

In case anyone wanted to leave a comment. (on the channel).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1623018851824.png I loaded this up yesterday. It's called A legionnaire's trip down memory lane : CECAP/ I spent a year there. It hasn't changed much, except that they have built a 'block' for training on the obstacles before attacking the course. It was whilst I was making the film that I discovered that the last two units to have done the full course were 2 REI and 1st REG. Decidedly the 1st REG is getting around.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Quick video for all those who are learning French:
Audio. A quick French crossword puzzle, I would recommend that you printed out the page and then listened to my assistant who will read out the clues to you in French. You then put the translation, in English, into the squares. I've copied out the questions, but that is not the aim. The idea is that you try and listen in order to understand. The answers are also included.

Please watch it on YouTube

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Quick video for all those who are learning French:
Audio. A quick French crossword puzzle, I would recommend that you printed out the page and then listened to my assistant who will read out the clues to you in French. You then put the translation, in English, into the squares. I've copied out the questions, but that is not the aim. The idea is that you try and listen in order to understand. The answers are also included.

Please watch it on YouTube

i will watch this later. Good work !

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
i will watch this later. Good work !
Thanks shirly, out of all those people who are on here, the only person to leave a comment is the one one person who it is sure will never join the legion. :oops::rolleyes: