a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining with an associate degree

Aolain1

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I almost never post, and I was never in the FFL, but I do have info for the original question. As to why the FFL would consider two years at an American community college ‘bad’ I think that is over thinking things. But here goes--and I know what I am talking about as after my military service I was a member of the professoriate.

It is possible the ‘Gestapo’ could learn of your college attendance. In the US there is a database used by universities to verify what a prospective student says about their previous educational experience.

So, if Joe Blow, who for the sake of argument, flunked out of ‘Rat Hole U’ and is applying to ‘Third Rate State University’ and claims he has never taken college courses he can be found out and denied admittance.

Now, this database is protected by very firm federal privacy laws. Sure, with a warrant the FBI can access these records, but the information in them is fiercely protected.

I really doubt that the recruiting arm of an allied military would have access to them. But I guess if one wants to be paranoid, perhaps there are bilateral agreements, etc. that would allow the ‘Gestapo’ to access the database. But I really doubt if such agreements exist.

But really, if you say you have no college, why would they care to check if your statement were the truth?

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Old British royal commando never gonna like me. :(

I'm not FFL expert and I'm not trying to display my self as one. Just wanna to be helpful to blues who are new on forum and who ask questions which are already answered many times here and by which some greens get annoyed and they are not glad to answer. Really, don't see problem with that.

In other hand lot of blues have great, fresh and useful information especially ones who been on selection lately. Those guys gives great insights in selection process. When we talking about selection I would rather hear what they have to say than someone who was in selection in the 80's or earlier. Of course they deserve respect and they have many great stories about their time and also about present and selection. I just think that it isn't right to dismiss all non-green posts like we are some trash talkers not worthy of reading. And you do that Chas, many time. When some new member come you like to clarify that blues are basically crap unless they are not ex-military.

Even if this was a veterans-only forum that would not be right, but it is not. I think this forum is also a place for guys who would like to become legionnaires (like myself) and want to know more about FFL.

shut the f up.

If you go you'll be sent away unless you shut the f up.

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Why to STFU? WTF I'm doing wrong here?

It hasn't changed that much. I'll take a ancien in the 80's over a blue who failed out. Half of those stories are pure SHITE anyway.

I'm going back to my beers

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
It hasn't changed that much. I'll take a ancien in the 80's over a blue who failed out. Half of those stories are pure SHITE anyway.

I'm going back to my beers

Hmm. Not sure I understand you, but If we would share that beer, stuff will be much clearer. ;)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If you seriously want to join la Légion étrangère my advice is this: wave that college degree under their noses and tell them you expect to be a sous-off’ (NCO) within the first 5 years. But then again, if your degree is on the reproduction system of gold fishes, stay stump
Post Shitum
Having a degree is proof of method /thinking/understanding. Get my drift ?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
An associate degree is nothing special , more like a college diploma, millions are educated to this level.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Even tho. ..still better than being considerated as an illiterate (with a BAC you can become an officier. ..bac / A level )

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Even tho. ..still better than being considerated as an illiterate (with a BAC you can become an officier. ..bac / A level )
The BAC or Baccalaureate maybe a must to become an officer, but I'd say it requires more than just the BAC. Last year 87.9 % passed the BAC which was down by the previous year.
For those who do not know what we are talking about, Napoleon 1er is credited to have founded the BAC in 1808 ! It hasn't changed enormously since. You have obligatory subjects to take, which always start with Philosophy. Wait until you start to have conversations with your French comrades, now you will understand !
During a certain year in schools you will be orientated to different types of career, such as Science, literature, etc. or a BAC Professional which is manuel.

At the end of the "terminale" year you will sit your BAC. Even if you don't get it first time, you can take the subjects that you failed again a very short time afterwards -no sweat. Also you can get extra points for taking options. For example someone who is the son or daughter of immigrant families, say Arabs, can take the option of Arab spoken language. A Native Coriscan can take opt for Corse, spoken, written and read - all points.

Now this is the part that people may not believe me. You can also take the option of sport. In Djibouti I had a young lady who had opted for sport and among the options available had chosen swimming. I was working in the pool at the time and she showed me what was expected of her. She was the daughter of the company 2ic and was going to a French school in Djibouti - She passed (I probably didn't have to mention that last part).
But as believable as it is, here is the part that you may not believe. You can also take the option of surfing ! and even better Pétangue which is the French bowling.
1519978515505.png

I kid you not !

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
What is the problem of having some form of education ? Don’t understand why this would effect your chances, more so I doubt the subject would be raised!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
What is the problem of having some form of education ? Don’t understand why this would effect your chances, more so I doubt the subject would be raised!
This story comes from some speculation that has almost become a ‘urban legend’ on the board according which, the more educated a candidate is, the more options he has on civvy street and the most prone to desertion he is.
As I said in another thread, although the reasoning may look rational, this is nothing more than speculation. Of course, if one has a PhD in quantum physics from Cambridge University or an MBA from Stanford, recruiters at Aubagne will clearly wonder why the guy wants to join the Legion (or any other armed force for that matter), but some level of education, in particular in IT or technical fields will certainly help.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I don't know but some idiots think that is good idea to be quiet about eventual college degree because they prefer stupid people because they are easier to control. (which is nonsense).
Other, more reasonable explanation is that people with higher education have more options back home so they are bigger risk for desertion.
No explanation of this two is realistic so one's degree only could benefit him in selection. (not much, but I think that is a little + )

This story comes from some speculation that has almost become a ‘urban legend’ on the board according which, the more educated a candidate is, the more options he has on civvy street and the most prone to desertion he is.
As I said in another thread, although the reasoning may look rational, this is nothing more than speculation. Of course, if one has a PhD in quantum physics from Cambridge University or an MBA from Stanford, recruiters at Aubagne will clearly wonder why the guy wants to join the Legion (or any other armed force for that matter), but some level of education, in particular in IT or technical fields will certainly help.
And 666 also told us that his NCO told him "Smart ones always leave". :)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Only the needy remain !
In these times, where you can become a multi milliônaire over night (by pure spéculation or développement of a poxy aplication of some sort. ..of course, the question needs to be asked, "why do you want to join ? "
More and more sofisticated weaponary, needing higher skills

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Only the needy remain !
In these times, where you can become a multi milliônaire over night (by pure spéculation or développement of a poxy aplication of some sort. ..of course, the question needs to be asked, "why do you want to join ? "
More and more sofisticated weaponary, needing higher skills
Yep , an IT or MechEng degree may well be the minimum requirement in the future as military technology advances.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Education or no education You all have to walk the walk!Trouble is a lot seem to park up on this form and just talk the talk and a load of sh-t with it, all our experiences are personal to ourself and unique so my only advise would be as follows.
Do what most people did that want to join get your ass to France and go and enlist and take your chance, that’s what we did no secret answers or golden ticket just guys for personal reasons prepared to go and give it a try and walk the talk!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Found some words personally I would not want any crap or working next to it as it can stink but even worse it could be running round like a headless 🐓 with a loaded gun, so no I don’t want a load of thick idiots enlisting in any army some of us might have fuc-ed up personally in our life’s but it takes a enigma to join the Legion underneath we were quite good soldiers fit and banged into shape to make good solid units in our own time we hung out in our preferred groups language dictating but also a lot of other nationalities decided to hang out with the Roast Beefs 😀 some cracking guys but on the job we were solid new our personal strengths and weaknesses new the task and got it done if you don’t like fitness then I only no it counts it also makes the training less demanding and you have something to offer i new 2 words in French but determination personal motivation (5 -7 jail awaits back home) or 5 years with the legion often think where did I no that from ? Any other guys BITD no much more than that apart from 2x guys over a 6 month period had deserted and sold their stories to the Sun 💩 They did not portray the Legion very well for some reason that made me more curious but I’m that type I needed a bit of structure I was running a bit wild and the jail sentences were going to get bigger as the risks and force needed and tools to remain free were not worth missing out on freedom jail in the UK was not to bad in the late 70s but still not free and I missed to much so it was a no brainier 👍
Just go go go and try it’s only hard if you make it hard it runs on fitness well the REP does fitness breads competition it’s the recipe for bonding my advise is be around 70/80% at most stuff and keep 10% up the jumper hold some back you may need it one day if you think you are going to hit the wall I wish I could do it all again so jealous of guys that just sit on the fence well I had big balls and went and my balls would have been sore that big sitting on a fence!😀and along with the rest of persons that frequent this form how about we start a fresh thread like
NI-E (Just Do It)
Only condition to post is you have finished training and are regiment bound. As come on be honest everything been asked so ask yourself why am I stalling.