[Joining] Joining with an associate degree

Just curious would an associate degree harm your chances of being selected? I ask this because I hear many people here say they weren't selected because they have many options back home. Would this also be seen like that?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious would an associate degree harm your chances of being selected? I ask this because I hear many people here say they weren't selected because they have many options back home. Would this also be seen like that?
Thanks!

I assume your civil studies have no military use. It will not help much but I will not harm you either. There are people inside the legion with higher studies than you.

It's an extra you have, so you should try to use it.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Thanks!

Dont tell them??

176607Mick

Unregistered
If jobs can track your studies don't you think the legion can't? I'm sorry but your answer is unnecessary and foolish.

What? If you don't tell them you have kids or a degree etc etc they won't spend time trying to find out otherwise.

176607Mick

Unregistered
I have read they will try to confirm where you have lived. By doing that they see what you've been doing during that period.

I forgot you are an expert. [emoji23] ok everyone, tell them you have kids and that you have a degree etc etc etc. You will be shown the door 100% I'm pretty certain of it? But what do I know? I was only a legionnaire

I forgot you are an expert. [emoji23] ok everyone, tell them you have kids and that you have a degree etc etc etc. You will be shown the door 100% I'm pretty certain of it? But what do I know? I was only a legionnaire
Look I never said I was an expert. But with today's technology it's very easy to investigate simple things like degrees and especially children. I was asking if wether the legion looks as degrees as something that may affect the chances of recruits chances. I do not see the point of lying about something like a degree which if found out I was lying it would hurt my chances even more.

Look I never said I was an expert. But with today's technology it's very easy to investigate simple things like degrees and especially children. I was asking if wether the legion looks as degrees as something that may affect the chances of recruits chances. I do not see the point of lying about something like a degree which if found out I was lying it would hurt my chances even more.

I see you joined the legion in 1988. We'll like I said technology has changed a lot and these things can be found out with a simple search.

Thanks!

I don't think it is because they have a degree. The issue is that they could figure out how to desert, and the desertion rate is high. If the forces desert, how then could they plan out a battle? Not because you have a degree, but because if chit hit the fan, and you were scared, you could run away home safely, and then they would be short a man on an operation. One way to find out is to run out of options and try to join :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Crisvaldebeniti, nobody there will give a f*ck about your degree. And, correct me if I'm wrong, associate (and college) degree or not such a big array of opportunities nowhere and especially in your (or my) country. When someone says that he is rejected because of too many options home, take that with reserve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I see you joined the legion in 1988. We'll like I said technology has changed a lot and these things can be found out with a simple search.

Crisvaldebeniti, as you say technology has advanced since Mick's days but the Legion way of doing things haven't, they are not the US NSA. If you tell them that you worked as a salesman in a gardening tools shop, they are not going to hack the pay records to see if it's true. They will interview ten hopefuls before lunch time. I've said it before, learn your story and stick to it.

Let's be honest if you say (and I'm not advising you to in any way) that you had a high school leaving certificate, they are not going to say, I'll just check to see if he has a degree. They may ask you if you do not get in, do you have a the possibility of getting a job back home? If you say yes, I have a degree in computer science and google would snap me up, warning lights will start flashing.

As for children, if you tell them that you have a boy and a girl back home, but they understand, warning lights will start flashing. If you do not tell them they are not going to hack into the national births registry office.

Crisvaldebeniti, nobody there will give a f*ck about your degree. And, correct me if I'm wrong, associate (and college) degree or not such a big array of opportunities nowhere and especially in your (or my) country. When someone says that he is rejected because of too many options home, take that with reserve.
Stop being an expert on the Foreign Legion. You are not and never will be until you go and complete your contract with honour and fidelity. I also know much less than the 'Greens'.

However I do know a rather limited amount about the RM Cdos, the HKP and the Queen's Regiment (Senior British Regiment of the Line, after HM Foot Guards). Now PWRR.

Reason being I served with them all.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Chas, PWRR me too... After the Legion. Before transferring up the road. Good regiment. They treated me well, two promotions in the 3 years I was with them before I was commission into the bleeps. Just saying.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Stop being an expert on the Foreign Legion. You are not and never will be until you go and complete your contract with honour and fidelity. (...)
Old British royal commando never gonna like me. :(

I'm not FFL expert and I'm not trying to display my self as one. Just wanna to be helpful to blues who are new on forum and who ask questions which are already answered many times here and by which some greens get annoyed and they are not glad to answer. Really, don't see problem with that.

In other hand lot of blues have great, fresh and useful information especially ones who been on selection lately. Those guys gives great insights in selection process. When we talking about selection I would rather hear what they have to say than someone who was in selection in the 80's or earlier. Of course they deserve respect and they have many great stories about their time and also about present and selection. I just think that it isn't right to dismiss all non-green posts like we are some trash talkers not worthy of reading. And you do that Chas, many time. When some new member come you like to clarify that blues are basically crap unless they are not ex-military.

Even if this was a veterans-only forum that would not be right, but it is not. I think this forum is also a place for guys who would like to become legionnaires (like myself) and want to know more about FFL.

Auroris56

Pro Member
Thanks!

I'm just finally getting this getting sent back for too many options thing. I'm an American and I don't want to get sent back because, this is hell of expensive for me. And in order to even try I have to quit my job which I can't back, because they don't want employee's leaving and coming back all the time. We Americans do this shit for fun, a lot of other people don't have options.

But still I think our mentality is bad ass, and adds to the lure and luster of the Legion in a good way. As dumb as it seems though I'm seriously thinking about going for the REP, I'm sure I'll remember how shitty exercise is and want to go back to my day job. But with my tats, I got a lot of minimum wage jobs standing in front of me, that don't pay enough for your own roof. So you have to rent with someone. And being a civilian the past 6 years has drove me up the wall, I need a uniform. Just wearing one makes me feel better about who I am, no matter the pay or living conditions. I just want to be able to try and make good marks, and see how well I can do with out holding myself back in order not to get sent back.

I really need this to work my first try, but if not I'll scrounge for another ticket and keep going back until they say no don't come back. Then I just want to get hold of General or of the sort and try to get them to change their mind.

I finally understand what's so funny about Krav Maga those bitches up yo! Joseph Cosgrove gets it sorry.

Dusaboss,

You are totally wrong with your assertion that I consider 'Blues' to be crap since they have never served.
I have a great admiration for the 'Blue' Aspirants who genuinely wish to volunteer and I respect them accordingly. Also If you check previous posts you will ascertain that some 'Blue' Aspirants have served already in other militaries. This is well recognised.

With my limited knowledge and experience, I would endeavour to assist anybody, whenever possible, who was considering joining the Legion. Nevertheless I have no time for those that ask repetitive questions or without any real experience offer advice to others.

Finally without the 'Blues' as Aspirants, there would be no need for questions, to be asked of those that have served, namely the 'Greens'. Hence there would be no forum for you to address. No one looks down on the 'Blues'. We just hope they are not time wasters as so many have been.

USMCRET

crisvaldebeniti, as you say technology has advanced since Mick's days but the legion way of doing things haven't, they are not the US NSA. If you tell them that you worked as a salesman in a gardening tools shop, they are not going to hack the pay records to see if it's true. They will interview ten hopefulls before lunch time. I've said it before, learn your story and stick to it.

Let's be honest if you say (and I'm not advising you to in any way) that you had a high school leaving certificate, they are not going to say, I'll just check to see if he has a degree. They may ask you if you do not get in, do you have a the possiblity of getting a job back home? If you say yes, I have a degree in computer science and google would snap me up, warning lights will start flashing.

As for children, if you tell them that you have a boy and a girl back home, but they understand, warning lights will start flashing. If you do not tell them they are not going to hack into the national births registry office.

Great advice Joseph! When I recruited I would school up a recruit before they went to the Military Processing and Enlistment Station for their Physical, Testing, and everything went well their enlistment. I'd say, do you really think the Marine Corps or the FBI followed you around your whole life? What you tell them is what you tell them and if you say something stupid like I once sold a joint to my friend bubba for a dollar, your dumb arse will be permanently disqualified for ALL MILITARY SERVICE IN THE UNITED STATES! Get a story straight, ignore the slide presentation where the tell you if you lie on the enlistment process you can be imprisoned for 5-years and face a $5,000 fine. The only way they will ever know is you rat yourself out, "Now do you want to be a Marine or Not?" If so shut your fecking mouth.

So reverting back to my recruiting days again "Do you want to be a Legionnaire or not?" If you do shut your mouth and follow the advice of the Greens and don't be a dumbass

Most viewed threads of the week