a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining at 18

Reaction score
Home Country
Ajman
I know most of the members here agree that 18 is a very young age to join, and that most should wait for at least 22. Well I feel really determined to join at 18 and have been preparing myself mentally and physically, but I'm still skeptical that my age might be a problem and I get kicked out in selection. Just wondering if the old members here have any good tips for a young wannabe. Thanks!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hmm. Interesting thing, tonight I just have argument with my friend (Algerian) about Algerians in FFL. He said that there are no Algerians in FFL and I told to him that he is nuts ;). As for you question, who knows? Go and try if you are sure. If I was 18 now and had knowledge that I have, I would have a year of fun or two, then would go to FFL.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Go and give it a shot. 18 year olds certainly do get in but they have to see and feel, through the interviews, that you are mature beyond your years and focused and disciplined, mentally tough and not a milk drinking mamas boy. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
Ajman
Go and give it a shot. 18 year olds certainly do get in but they have to see and feel, through the interviews, that you are mature beyond your years and focused and disciplined, mentally tough and not a milk drinking mamas boy. :)
I feel like I'm more mature for my age and all and I have the confidence that I will make it. But that's a big risk and maybe my confidence will fail me. What I fear the most is if I get (I don't remember the French word for this) but the inability to apply again. Again I feel like I'm all the test I can score very well but it is the age that worries me will be my hardest part. Also even though my mentality is more mature my looks fail me unlike others who looks above there ages. Also I'm taking into consideration waiting two years but I don't really have many things planned to do in the meanwhile and will feel meaningless. Half of me is telling me to risk it while the other is telling me to wait two years.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Go for it. No-one can tell you what to do, it's your choice. I'm telling you to go for it. Just remember to act as mature as possible. When I was in Djibouti we had a Brit in the 3rd Cie 13 DBLE, a really good bloke, he was nicknamed baby face. No-one knew he was champ amateur boxer because he was such a good bloke and so no one gave him any trouble.

Then a US Navy ship came and there was a big fight on town. I wasn't there at the time but Baby face was in jail the next day having being signaled out as one of those who laid out ‘unprovoked’ sailors. It was probably the legionnaires who started it. Baby face got away with it because he hardly had a scratch on him and looked so innocent.

The stories from the other Anglais de merde was completely different. This guy baby face was like a whirlwind.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
chrisvaldebenite.

I know the situation well. I was/am a short arse and at just over 17, I applied as a callow youth to join the RM as a commando or the Parachute Regiment. I was baby faced as well. The recruiting Sgt RM asked me my reasons and when he queried them, I replied that despite my youth and size sheer dogged determination would enable me to succeed. He attempted to put me off, but the more he tried, the more I stuck to my guns.

Eventually I was offered a commission in the Parachute Regiment but stayed with my parent unit. A move I have never regretted.

My advice, if you genuinely have the 'want factor' then go for it. At interview demonstrate determination and make sure questions are answered in a direct and positive manner.

Good luck.

Auroris56

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I personally think you should serve in your native nation's military first, unless you got a bum rap sheet. Then you should try the Legion. I think with the more life experience you have the more you'll learn to appreciate the Legion.:cool:

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I know most of the members here agree that 18 is a very young age to join, and that most should wait for at least 22. Well I feel really determined to join at 18 and have been preparing myself mentally and physically, but I'm still skeptical that my age might be a problem and I get kicked out in selection. Just wondering if the old members here have any good tips for a young wannabe. Thanks!

I was 18 when I joined.
It depends not only on physical fitness, but also on mental fortitude.
Some guys mature at 30 years old and others at 18 years old.

Reaction score
Home Country
Ajman
I personally think you should serve in your native nation's military first, unless you got a bum rap sheet. Then you should try the Legion. I think with the more life experience you have the more you'll learn to appreciate the Legion.:cool:
That is one of my options. Serving two years before going to the Legion but sometimes I think about it. My home military (no I'm not from Algeria, that was automatic) does not have the best military and if I would to serve 7 year minimum in the military I would prefer if it was 7 years in the Legion. Mostly because I'm in it for the adventure and the cruel life of a soldier. Which my home country cannot offer as much.

Auroris56

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That is one of my options. Serving two years before going to the Legion but sometimes I think about it. My home military (no I'm not from Algeria, that was automatic) does not have the best military and if I would to serve 7 year minimum in the military I would prefer if it was 7 years in the Legion.Mostly because I'm in it for the adventure and the cruel life of a soldier. Which my home country cannot offer as much.
That makes sense.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hi Cris, if it is of any help to you, I jumped ship in Dakar, Senegal, when the country was still a French colony, and joined the Legion at the age of 16. By the time I was 18 I was a decorated paratrooper in 2 REP in the Algerian war. Don't worry, 18 is fine.

That makes sense.
I joined the legion because it made sense as well. Adventure, for sure, the desert, unexpected things happening, glorious death, even. A bit of romance, perhaps? Ok, none of that much happened. But, on the other hand, I learned that when you are close to death from exhaustion while hiking through inhospitable Algerian mountains, and not a drop of water left in your canteen, you will ask yourself, quite seriously “what the f*ck am I doing here?Ââ€￾
Mais, c'est la vie, mon pote.

Anyway, the real French Foreign Legion ceased to exist in July 1962, when Algeria got independence from France. Anything after that, except from that glorious drop by 2 REP in Kolwezi, Zaire, in May 1978, to me just looks like they are trying to be legionnaires, while not quite succeeding, B-actors at the best.

176607Mick

Unregistered
(...) Anyway, the real French Foreign Legion ceased to exist in July 1962, when Algeria got independence from France. Anything after that, except from that glorious drop by 2 REP in Kolwezi, Zaire, in May 1978, to me just looks like they are trying to be legionnaires, while not quite succeeding, B-actors at the best.
Thanks for that. Wow.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
(...) Anyway, the real French Foreign Legion ceased to exist in July 1962, when Algeria got independence from France. Anything after that, except from that glorious drop by 2 REP in Kolwezi, Zaire, in May 1978, to me just looks like they are trying to be legionnaires, while not quite succeeding, B-actors at the best.
Jonny, I think the real French Foreign Legion ended the day you left. There is talk of Jonny's brain to be taken out on Camerone and paraded down the Voie Sacrée two paces behind Cne Danjou's hand, because you obviously don't need it before engaging your mouth.
Wise up Jonny, B-actors? Please provide proof of your A-actor authenticity.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Jonny, I think the real French Foreign Legion ended the day you left. There is talk of Jonny's brain to be taken out on Camerone and paraded down the Voie Sacrée two paces behind Cne Danjou's hand, because you obviously don't need it before engaging your mouth.
Ha ha. Some one is bitter & twisted (Jonny). I look forward to seeing the proof...

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Jo, you are a very sad asshole of a person. From the genuine impression of a legionnaire.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Jo, you are a very sad asshole of a person. From the genuine impression of a legionnaire.
Hey dude. It's you that started belittling anyone who didn't serve in Algeria. I know guys who did and they don't try to put down anyone who came after. Why do this? Just looks shit and makes you look like a bitter old man. You are allowed your opinions, true, but why belittle the Legion in this way. Embarrassing.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hey dude. It's you that started belittling anyone who didn't serve in Algeria. I know guys who did and they don't try to put down anyone who came after. Why do this? Just looks shit and makes you look like a bitter old man. You are allowed your opinions, true, but why belittle the Legion in this way. Embarrassing.
Ok, mea culpa, happy now?

Reaction score
Home Country
Ajman
Thanks Jonny for the tips but I don't I understand why you disrespect legionnaires after 1962. The only difference is that now there is lack of wars (or at least wars that have a clear enemy, as we have lots of wars where no enemy is clearly present). So I understand what you mean because maybe these legionnaires haven't had the same chance as legionnaires back then had to prove themselves. So I don't think legionnaires now have changed but instead the way we fight wars.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Not really. Can't see what your gripe is. Are you saying the guys from 2 Para are better than the guys who served in the Falkands or Afghanistan? Or the guys from 1SAS are better than the guys who smoked the Iranian embassy? Ridiculous to make comparisons it's like Tyson vs Ali..who would've won. Yawn