a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jocko Willink podcast about the French Foreign Legion with Canadian Legionnaire

j.b

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Alright guys,

While waiting for my knee to recover from injury before going to join the legion I have been watching/reading and learning as much as I can about the legion. I have come across an interesting podcast by Jocko Willink a former navy seal with a ex Legionnaire Joel Struthers, he talks about his experience with the legion, selection for GCP and much more. Not sure if this is the right place to post it but it's an interesting listen.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am half way into this and it is very interesting, lots I recognize from what the Marine Corps is and what the Legion is, Interesting to say the least. Is the guy legit, a former Legionnaire that did his time fully?

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Yes it seems about right. I couldn't imagine the Sch Legros kicking someone in the groin during his unarmed combat lesson. That or he isn't much good.
Struthers is legit (ex 1st Company and CRAP/GCP). I made contact with him on Facebook. Joe, Legros was one of the Sgt’s on my Corporal’s course (June-July 1992). If you look closely at the photo he’s standing on the left with CEA Sgt. Steele...

Attachments

• B17249C8-B2FB-44ED-9CD7-5DD5A28453E1.jpeg
    B17249C8-B2FB-44ED-9CD7-5DD5A28453E1.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
An old associate has written a forward to the book. Benoit Desmeulles was a very young Lt. when I arrived at Calvi in 1989. Struthers served from Sept 1994 till Sept 2000 (6 years)

Attachments

• 20200102_132500.jpg
    20200102_132500.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200102_132428.jpg
    20200102_132428.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Struthers is legit (ex 1st Company and CRAP/GCP). I made contact with him on Facebook. Joe, Legros was one of the Sgt’s on my Corporal’s course (June-July 1992). If you look closely at the photo he’s standing on the left with CEA Sgt. Steele...
I can't really make it out. Was that Tommy Steele the American? If it is we were both corporals together in Milan 2. He went on to become a major.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I can't really make it out. Was that Tommy Steele the American? If it is we were both corporals together in Milan 2. He went on to become a major.
Joe, correct...it’s Thomas Steele from CEA Milan (there was a Steele in 4th Cie). I’ve zoomed in on the photo. Black Kepis are Steele, the young French Lieutenant and Legros

Attachments

• C13E97D3-7749-46BE-9F44-109E6F978EEF.jpeg
    C13E97D3-7749-46BE-9F44-109E6F978EEF.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 11

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe, correct...it’s Thomas Steele from CEA Milan (there was a Steele in 4th Cie). I’ve zoomed in on the photo. Black Kepis are Steele, the young French Lieutenant and Legros
Yes I can see Tommy now, without his glasses. Gill Steele was a South African, if I remember correctly. Probably the best swimmer in the regiment.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Great so the guy is an Ancien, the pod cast, I'm half way through it is interesting, I'm going to finish it today.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I thought, from my perspective it was a really good interview and book review; I would like to read his book. Some of you Green Ancien were on duty and served during this time in Africa, how was your experience?

What I find several things he say is so on point. 1) all you candidate wanting to become a Legionnaire, the Farm is not the day to day life of a Legionnaire, it is not 24/7 the farm. There is a daily routine, the plan of the day. It could very well be scheduled jumps or field fire clearing room, it is more likely CORVEE. 2) To be in the GCP, Marine Raiders, Navy Seals, or you name the Special Operators, the most important thing they look for is that you are a calm individual that can suffer in harsh conditions, keep up with the forced marches, run like a marathon runner, and never complain or fall back. 3) Reminds me of a true life story. In the Marine Corps you can request a special Duty Called Marine Corps Security Guard, MSG for short. Well this Corporal in my Company was beyond squared away, he was a poster child Marine, they could have put him on a poster, sharp, the look, and mister motivation. Everything he did or said ended up with his typical greeting or ending Ooh Rah Kill, Mr. Motivation himself. So, Mr. Moto gets accepted to MSG School, Oh I forgot to include it is MSG Marines that guard all US Embassies. Mr. Moto lasted about a week before being cut and sent back to our Battalion, the reason way to Moto, you cannot be like this at an Embassy or around the President. 4) Finally, GCP, is the same here, the men whom do it are all cool, calm, and collected they know when to and more importantly when NOT TO ACT.

Well, sorry for the novel post, I thought the guy to be genuine, humble, and a credit to the Legion, again, I do not know the guy all I have is this interview to use as my basis for a judgement.

Semper Fidelis

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Alright guys,

While waiting for my knee to recover from injury before going to join the legion I have been watching/reading and learning as much as I can about the legion. I have come across an interesting podcast by Jocko Willink a former navy seal with a ex Legionnaire Joel Struthers, he talks about his experience with the legion, selection for GCP and much more. Not sure if this is the right place to post it but it's an interesting listen.

What's the name of his book?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
An article by Joel Struthers, titled March or die Canadian style

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
An article by Joel Struthers, titled March or die Canadian style

Thanks Joe, that was a good article. Seems from the Pod Cast and this Article Struthers does a good job in his book to dispel the myths of criminals, there still is harsh discipline you usually do not see in let's say the USMC, and the modern very well trained fighting force the Legion is.

sig2340

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I just listened to this podcast and found it quite positive vis-a-vis the Légion étrangère.

I have a Jocko story to tell. The members here may recall that in late 2018 I spent five months in hospital and rehabilitation following a nearly fatal bacterial infection that left me comatose for 28 days.

The day I arrived at the rehabilitation center, I finally had access to my OnePlus smartphone. The very first thing that came up in Youtube's recommendations was a snippet from one of Commander Willink's podcasts. It was his take on the story of Greek myth of Sisyphus.

It was the perfect thing for me to hear at that point in my life. I needed to embrace pushing the rock fully, and I did, using it to motivate me every day to roll (I was wheelcahir bound at the time) my way to the gymnasium and back, twice a day. My pushing each day is why I was released from the rehabilitation center a bit more than a month earlier than my physical therapist said would be the absolute best possible case.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Alright guys,

Sh$t bra, what happened to your knee?. What are the quacks doing about it?. ETD for France?. Stay well bra, ill check out the interview, that giant yank is a good oak and always has something positive to add. Like his mojo hey.

Last edited by a moderator: