a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to join the Legion again ?

karlosiukas

Reaction score
Home Country
Lithuania
So here is my situation: 3 years ago, when I was 18, I joined the Legion, got through the whole selection process and became E.V. (engagé volontaire). Before finishing farm I asked to go civil cuz of personal reasons. They let me to do it. But the question is can I try to join again? Or is it 100% sure that they will tell me to go home? Has anyone encountered same situation? Thank you for your time and answers.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I doubt that they will let you in. Nevertheless there is a remote possibility if it can be established that your original reasons for going 'civil' were genuine. If you go you are taking a chance. So it is up to you.

karlosiukas

Reaction score
Home Country
Lithuania
I doubt that they will let you in. Nevertheless there is a remote possibility if it can be established that your original reasons for going 'civil' were genuine. If you go you are taking a chance. So it is up to you.
The reason I went civil was that I had some problems in the farm with a corporal and his psychological problems you could say so and I ended up in the Castelnaudary hospital healing my leg. I would have stayed in the hospital for about 3 months, but I asked to go civil instead (just couldn't take that hospital sh*t). Before going civil, the Colonel told me that they are going to investigate this situation with the corporal and me and why I ended up in the hospital. 3 years have passed since that day and I really want to come back, but just don't know what to do. Of course for some it may sound like I'm a big p*ss* and I'm prepared for harrasement, but all I need is just straight answers.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
The reason I went civil was that I had some problems in the farm with a corporal and his psychological problems you could say so and I ended up in the Castelnaudary hospital healing my leg. I would have stayed in the hospital for about 3 months, but I asked to go civil instead (just couldn't take that hospital sh*t). Before going civil, the Colonel told me that they are going to investigate this situation with the corporal and me and why I ended up in the hospital. 3 years have passed since that day and I really want to come back, but just don't know what to do. Of course for some it may sound like I'm a big p*ss* and I'm prepared for harrassment, but all I need is just straight answers.
Write a letter with all your details and the situation when you left to the Office of the Legion Commandant.

Monsieur le General Commandant
la Legion etrangere
COMLE
B.P. 38
13990 Marseille Armees
France

Should ideally be handwritten (printed not cursive) letter in French.
Include copies of documents related to your time in the legion.

Good luck.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Writing to the General COMLE, in my view, is a last resort option. Lithuania is not that far from France, so, unless it's for you a significant financial ‘sacrifice’, I would go back and just try and enlist as a new recruit. In the worst case, they'll kick you out, in the best case, you'll start over your basic training at Castel. Since you requested to leave and did not desert, they may give you a second chance, but it's only speculation on my part. I'm afraid you won't get more detailed information from members of this board. Your question is very specific and only somebody currently working in the Aubagne Selection Center could provide a really relevant answer.
Anyway, your case is a good example for aspiring legionnaires : before asking to ‘go civil’, think twice.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Don't think the cadre or BSLE will give much thought to why you went civil. Just go as a newbie and, if asked, tell them. You're rolling the dice just like everybody else.

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
So here is my situation: 3 years ago, when I was 18, I joined the Legion, got through the whole selection process and became E.V. (engagé volontaire). Before finishing farm I asked to go civil cuz of personal reasons. They let me to do it. But the question is can I try to join again? Or is it 100% sure that they will tell me to go home? Has anyone encountered same situation? Thank you for your time and answers.

It depends.
If you got inapt definitv you can probably forget about it. If it is temporaire, you can go again and start from scratch. Civil, Blue, Rouge, the whole shabang...
That being said, I met a guy few weeks ago, here in Malmousque, who was with me in Aubagne. He got send to 3.cev. He finished farm and after a few months in Castel he disappeared. When I asked him what happened he said that he asked Capitan for leave because personal reasons. He got 6 months leave. He returned after 8 so he had to start all over again. Civil, Blue, Rouge. I met him as Blue and I dont know if he made it Rouge again.
Good luck. :)

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States

If I were you I would look for another career! You are persona non grata!