a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction of me and need advice

TestMyTickle

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hello everyone, hope you are all doing fine!

I’m a 20-year-old Canadian living in Québec. I’m currently in school but I want to join the military soon. The thing is, I am still hesitant to which one I want to join (FFL or Canadian forces). If I do join, it will be for the long term.
So, here is where I need some advice.

Basically, I could either join the Canadian forces or the French Foreign Legion. The thing is, my father is French and so is half of my family, I’ve been to France numerous times since I am young, I love the country and the people. So, I feel an equally strong tie with both countries.

As I said earlier, I live in Québec and my first language is French, so the language barrier is not a problem.
Money-wise, the Canadian military pays more, but it does not pay for food nor give you housing (not sure 100% about that though). Opportunity-wise, I don’t know which one offer the best. Only thing I know is that you can’t be an officer in the Canadian military without a college diploma.

So, if you were in my boots, what would you do?

Don’t worry, I know that at the end of the day, the choice is only mine to make, but I would still appreciate some insight.
Thank you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello TestMytickle (TestMyTickle? seriously how did you come up with that?) Anyway welcome to the forum. I'm tempted to say go for the legion and if it doesn't work out then go for the Canadian army. However, in one way Aubagne is there to dissuade those who have something to fall back on. So when you are cheesed off cleaning pots or sweeping up you will convince yourself that the Canadian army has to be better than that. And then you will leave.

You have to look at the opportunities that both armies offer. And then you have to ask yourself which best fits your long term desires. Good luck for whichever you choose.

TestMyTickle

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Alright thank you for the reply Joseph! It is true that the Canadian army might look like a second opportunity and lesser my chance of getting in/staying in!

I’m definitely going to gather as much information as I can about both military before making my choice. Another thing to consider I think is that if I do join the legion, it will be a drastic cut with my old life, nothing is going to be the same anymore (It’s the point though), while if I join the Canadian military. It will still feel like home. On the other hand, I think that the legion can offer more training stage than the Canadian military can.

Anyway, I'm going the be around on the forum to read about the legion and then I will make my choice!

Auroris56

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You remind me of a Canadian I met in Paradise.:confused:

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Welcome aboard.
Let me start by saying I'm just a wannabe like you. So as one wannabe to another:
From what I gather, the Legion is not for everyone. The Canadian military will most likely keep you somewhat cozy. The Legion won't. Also, the Canadian military takes many people due to its size. The Legion takes only 1/8 volunteers, and these volunteers have to match certain profiles. People with opportunities back home are usually discarded due to a higher chance of desertion (which is a big deal in the FFL).
The Legion is just much more 'raw' and 'spartan' in terms of training than any other military branch. This will appeal to a few (like myself), but most will be pushed away by this reality.
Again, I've no experience. This is just general information I've picked up.
The path of least resistance is no doubt the Canadian Military. The hard way is the Legion.
The choice is yours.

TestMyTickle

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thank you Ricky for your input. Yes, the Legion will probably be more challenging and somewhat less cozy and it is something to expect when joining!
Anyway, good luck on joining man!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
TestMyTickle,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy it.
Good luck in all your endeavours.

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

I’m a 20-year-old Canadian living in Québec. I’m currently in school but I want to join the military soon. The thing is, I am still hesitant to which one I want to join (FFL or Canadian forces). If I do join, it will be for the long term.

Basically, I could either join the Canadian forces or the French Foreign Legion. The thing is, my father is French and so is half of my family, I’ve been to France numerous times since I am young, I love the country and the people. So, I feel an equally strong tie with both countries.

As I said earlier, I live in Québec and my first language is French, so the language barrier is not a problem.
Money-wise, the Canadian military pays more, but it does not pay for food nor give you housing (not sure 100% about that though). Opportunity-wise, I don’t know which one offer the best. Only thing I know is that you can’t be an officer in the Canadian military without a college diploma.

Don’t worry, I know that at the end of the day, the choice is only mine to make, but I would still appreciate some insight.
Thank you.
Bonjour,

First some truth in advertising: I have not been in the Legion or Canadian Forces but, if I were younger, in your boots and had to make a decision today, I would join the Canadian Forces.

You wrote that the Canadian Forces “do not pay for food nor give you housing.â€￾ I find that hard to believe. I have never heard of a military organization that does not feed or provide shelter for their members. If you are interested in becoming an officer the Canadian Forces provides paid education. Perhaps someone who is an ancien or serving legionnaire can explain how to become an officer in la Légion étrangère.

All the best,
Tom

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Thank you.

Bonjour,

First some truth in advertising: I have not been in the Legion or Canadian Forces. But, if I were younger, in your boots, and had to make a decision today, I would join the Canadian Forces.

You wrote that the Canadian Forces "does not pay for food nor give you housing." I find that hard to believe. I have never heard of a military organization that does not feed or provide shelter for their members. If you are interested in becoming an officer the Canadian Forces provides paid education. Perhaps someone who is an ancien or serving legionnaire can explain how to become an officer in the Légion Étrangère.

All the best,
Tom

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Bonjour,

You wrote that the Canadian Forces “do not pay for food nor give you housing.â€￾ I find that hard to believe. I have never heard of a military organization that does not feed or provide shelter for their members.

All the best,
Tom

Actually the Danish military doesn't provide food or shelter either. They provide shelter for conscripts and soldiers in training but food you will pay for yourself (conscripts get a tax free food allowance though). But most full time professional soldiers either live in an apartment outside the base, or pay some money for a barracks room on base. Pay is better than US military pay though.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Serbian army also doesn't provide food or shelter in many cases, but I'm pretty sure is not same thing with what you have in Denmark.

Danish soldiers doing good without that, but Serbian protesting on streets because they can't pay for basic things.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Serbian army also doesn't provide food or shelter in many cases, but I'm pretty sure is not same thing with what you have in Denmark.

Danish soldiers doing good without that, but Serbian protesting on streets because they can't pay for basic things.

Yeah, you have to pay to live in the barracks after 1 year of service (I'm talking about regular enlisted soldiers here, not officers or sergeants). I imagine the barracks is cheaper than any apartment though.
Pay is twice as high as in the US army though.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
I knew it's Ok for them :), pay of first class soldier in Serbia is 270€ :(

That's pretty bad. it's 2700€ in Denmark. If you advance in rank it increases and if you're deployed it also increases. :D

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
(...) Basically, I could either join the Canadian forces or the French Foreign Legion. The thing is, my father is French and so is half of my family, I’ve been to France numerous times since I am young, I love the country and the people. So, I feel an equally strong tie with both countries. (...)
So, if you were in my boots, what would you do? (...)
Why not do both? 5 years in the Legion and only 25 years old... It would look good on your C.V., and impress the Canadian recruiters.

TestMyTickle

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Yeah, the Canadian military will usually pay you around CAD 50k a year, more when you rank up. The first year, during basic training and when you are training for your trade, you will live on base. Then you are supposed to rent an apartment and live off the base. But yeah... Doing both could definitely be an option, I'll think about that...