a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interview Question

Swartjaak

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hey guys. I don’t know if this question has been asked before but I’m just going to ask anyway.

When you get interviewed, should you be 10000% completely honest with the person who interviewes you? What I mean by this question is that if a normal person asks ke why I want to join , I will for instance say that I don’t want to sit in a office wanting to kill myself every ******* day, getting fat, stress eating, getting high blood pressure and probably going to die of boredom. That will be offensive for the person asking me. Will the people that interviews me take that or give me a low score?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hey guys. I don’t know if this question has been asked before but I’m just going to ask anyway.

When you get interviewed, should you be 10000% completely honest with the person who interviews you? What I mean by this question is that if a normal person asks ke why I want to join, I will for instance say that I don’t want to sit in a office wanting to kill myself every ******* day, getting fat, stress eating, getting high blood pressure and probably going to die of boredom. That will be offensive for the person asking me. Will the people that interviews me take that or give me a low score?
Funny enough I had same thoughts and way of thinking. One of my reasons for joining (eventually) is what you wrote here. If you saying that you are sick of office job and person interviewing you do exactly that, hmmm. :) I don't know, don't underestimate man's ego. In this case is better not to be completely honest. Put that statement in some nice package. e.g. instead "office job" say "civil job" or something like that.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada

When you get interviewed, should you be 10000% completely honest with the person who interviewes you? What I mean by this question is that if a normal person asks ke why I want to join , I will for instance say that I don’t want to sit in a office wanting to kill myself every ******* day, getting fat, stress eating, getting high blood pressure and probably going to die of boredom. That will be offensive for the person asking me. Will the people that interviews me take that or give me a low score?

If I were an interviewer, I would ask myself: why did he not do something about that before coming to enlist in the Legion.

Swartjaak

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
If I were an interviewer, I would ask myself: why did he not do something about that before coming to enlist in the Legion.

Well, I am still in school so I am currently trying to prevent all that shit from happening. So the Legion is my way of doing something about it. ;)

Last edited:

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Well, I am still in school so I am currently trying to prevent all that shit from happening. So the Legion is my way of doing something about it. ;)
If you're a student then the whole example is pretty pointless.
You need better reasons, you won't get in with weak responses competing against nearly 10,000 other guys and the legion dealing with high levels of desertion from guys realizing they will not become super commandos and will have to do tons of ironing and cleaning floors and toilets and can't go to the local pub or club every night and end up missing mom and dad and Suzy Sodapop who lives down the street.

Swartjaak

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
If you're a student then the whole example is pretty pointless.
You need better reasons, you won't get in with weak responses competing against nearly 10,000 other guys and the legion dealing with high levels of desertion from guys realizing they will not become super commandos and will have to do tons of ironing and cleaning floors and toilets and can't go to the local pub or club every night and end up missing mom and dad and Suzy Sodapop who lives down the street.
The thing is I have parents that work day and night jobs and they do come to points where they just hate it. I do have examples in my life and that is because I don't live under a rock. I also realize that I won't become a super soldier that kills for a living in ******* awesome ways and make the coolest of people jealous, I know that, really. As for the clubs, I hate drinking and smoking, not my scene. I have no problem proving myself to the higher ranks and showing them I am capable of doing my part. I also read a lot because I love to research. That is why I will say my example is not pointless. :)

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
(...) I hate drinking (...)
I wonder how hard it is to make friends in the military when you don't drink. It seems (from an outsider's perspective) going out on the piss with your comrades is an important bonding exercise.

analog

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Every reason for joining the Legion can be put in one of two categories: ‘want’ or ‘need’.
Want would be “I want to be a soldierâ€￾, “'I'm here for adventure and ‘sport’â€￾, “I want the camaraderie and brotherhoodâ€￾, etc.
Need is “I come from a poor/unstable/whatever country and the Legion is my only chance for a decent lifeâ€￾, “I have a criminal record and no one else in the world will give me a second chanceâ€￾, etc.

Your current reason is a want. The Legion, however, is only really interested in people who need it. Too many ‘wanters’ go through basic training only to decide that they don't want the Legion after all for you to have a good chance with a ‘want’ reason. What the Legion is after is someone who needs it so badly that they'll stay on no matter how much they decide it sucks.

You need to give them a ‘need’ reason. The fact that you come from South Africa rather than some cushy western country is a good start, and that would be the angle I'd play up. I would never say anything that could potentially insult the guy behind the desk. The Legion selection can be an arbitrary mistress at the best of times and you don't need go yanking her petticoat.

EDIT: The ‘guy behind the desk’ also deserves a bit more respect. See here.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Let not people get you wrong, Analog. The ‘need’ reason is definitely not a guarantee to get in. Maybe it's better than a ‘want’ reason (I don't know, I've never been one of the Legion recruiters), but you also need to demonstrate that you have what it takes to become a soldier. The Legion is not either looking for bums...

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The legion is for whoever the legion thinks it is good for.....
Dusaboss, he is a different case, entirely.

He isn't ever turning up anytime, ever.SO boys...Mark your Calendar's for this time next year and see your girlfriend still posting about his delusions of going to the legion, Someday...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The legion is for whoever the legion thinks it is good for.....
Dusaboss, he is a different case, entirely.

He isn't ever turning up anytime, ever.SO boys...Mark your Calendar's for this time next year and see your girlfriend still posting about his delusions of going to the legion, Someday...

Ok, I have to admit. I will not join, never. I'm 60 y old 130 kg fat man. Sorry I mislead you all guys. My problem is that I'm getting hard on young, strong legionnaires. Especially those covered in tattoos.

I can't pretend anymore, that is sad true and curse of internet- everyone can be what he want to be. I will not do this anymore. Sorry all once again. :(

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dusa's WIT is entirely something else, too..Of course, this would elude to maybe him being gay, if he is into strong, tattooed men, as HE declared..

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Post 1 was about the interview, can we leave all this personal crap out of it?

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Volt,

Sure, SWARTJACK, tell them whatever you want. Lie, invent, create, admonish, elaborate, embellish, lie some more, deny, tell half truths, tell all the truth, tell nothing but lies, tell nothing but half lies and truths. Tell one quarter lies and three quarters truth. Tell three quarters lies and one quarter truth, Tell them anything you want.