a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm doing it

Part-Time Warrior

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
Hello fellow members:

First of all I'd like to thank you for all the input you've put in this page, it's been quite helpful as books and documentaries can only go so far and hearing from people who've been there and done that really helps me a lot.

I've lurked this sited for about 2 years but never bothered to make a post, mainly because I didn't have my ticket to France so what's the point, right?
Anyhow in August I bough my ticket to Marseille arriving the 16 december, I've been saving money for the last 4 years to afford it and its only a one way ticket :D.
I guess you all want a little bio so it make it as short as possible. I was born to a French citizen in Latin America hence having the nationality and the fluency of speak (altough I can't write for sh*t). When I was 8 i moved to Bolivia, one of the poorest countries in SA so you can imagine why it took me so long to save up the money.
Anyway one day I had a friend who dissapear (female) and her mother was conviced she was staying at my place so she sent the cops and found nothing but my stash of weed and as in any third world country the laws are harsh and the bureaucracy is strong, so I stayed on a youth prison in the country side for 7 months until my innocence was proven. I was 17 (you are imputable at 16 in Bolivia).
How does this relate to the Foreign Legion? Well I had a visit from the French Consul in Bolivia while I was there, he was an ex from Troupes de Marine and he told me how the military was what he needed as he was a trouble child and didn't know what to do with his life and it catapulted him into diplomacy and that and this blah blah blah France doesn't turn its back on you, eventually getting to the Legion and how it's not an army of thieves and murderers but an honorary fighting force whose profile I was a prime example of.

At the time I didn't think much of it but the seed was planted and every year that passed I found myself thinking more and more about actually joining. It started as a secret plan to kinda run away (childish I know) but it matured into something bigger it was my reason to save up money, it was my reason to get fit and stop smoking (obviously I'm clean now) and a way to make a life for myself away from this country and my family.
I'm 22 now, fitter than I've ever been (9km in 45 mins, 50 pushups, 12 pullups) with no prospects or attachments here. I've told all my family members about it, they were pretty skeptical about it but once I explained them in detail and cleared all their doubts they were all very supportive even my hippie mother.

I don't really have questions but I kind just wanted to thank you all for the input you've put into this page and letting you know that there are people who are quietly reading and learning. Many of them might have just gone without ever posting but I today I felt like letting you guys know that I'm doing it.

If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them

Wish me good luck!

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Jésus... Saved for four years and only enough for a one way ticket? Hope you make it in. I have a Bolivian Sgt from 1REC in boot. Solid guy and loved tickling people, no idea why.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Best of luck mate. I hope you make it to the next level and become a full time warrior. You will have a lot to offer, English, French, Spanish and whatever dialect they use in La Paz. Plus coming from a 3rd World country and so on.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Put some of that Bolivian white powder in your pockets when you coming. That way I'm pretty sure some guys would be happy to pay for you ticket. :)

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Hello fellow members:

First of all I'd like to thank you for all the input you've put in this page, it's been quite helpful as books and documentaries can only go so far and hearing from people who've been there and done that really helps me a lot.

I've lurked this sited for about 2 years but never bothered to make a post, mainly because I didn't have my ticket to France so what's the point, right?
Anyhow in August I bough my ticket to Marseille arriving the 16 december, I've been saving money for the last 4 years to afford it and its only a one way ticket :D.
I guess you all want a little bio so it make it as short as possible. I was born to a French citizen in Latin America hence having the nationality and the fluency of speak (altough I can't write for sh*t). When I was 8 i moved to Bolivia, one of the poorest countries in SA so you can imagine why it took me so long to save up the money.
Anyway one day I had a friend who dissapear (female) and her mother was conviced she was staying at my place so she sent the cops and found nothing but my stash of weed and as in any third world country the laws are harsh and the bureaucracy is strong, so I stayed on a youth prison in the country side for 7 months until my innocence was proven. I was 17 (you are imputable at 16 in Bolivia).
How does this relate to the Foreign Legion? Well I had a visit from the French Consul in Bolivia while I was there, he was an ex from Troupes de Marine and he told me how the military was what he needed as he was a trouble child and didn't know what to do with his life and it catapulted him into diplomacy and that and this blah blah blah France doesn't turn its back on you, eventually getting to the Legion and how it's not an army of thieves and murderers but an honorary fighting force whose profile I was a prime example of.

At the time I didn't think much of it but the seed was planted and every year that passed I found myself thinking more and more about actually joining. It started as a secret plan to kinda run away (childish I know) but it matured into something bigger it was my reason to save up money, it was my reason to get fit and stop smoking (obviously I'm clean now) and a way to make a life for myself away from this country and my family.
I'm 22 now, fitter than I've ever been (9km in 45 mins, 50 pushups, 12 pullups) with no prospects or attachments here. I've told all my family members about it, they were pretty skeptical about it but once I explained them in detail and cleared all their doubts they were all very supportive even my hippie mother.

I don't really have questions but I kind just wanted to thank you all for the input you've put into this page and letting you know that there are people who are quietly reading and learning. Many of them might have just gone without ever posting but I today I felt like letting you guys know that I'm doing it.

If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them

Wish me good luck!

Though if you have dual French citizenship you might look at regular French forces. The Marines or some unit that will give you a clear path to a real Spec Ops unit. Have you looked into that? There are less options overall in the Legion than the regular French forces if you already have French citizenship.

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I agree with Nick on this one; go regular forces if it is open to you. More toys/options/rank faster...

Of course I also wish you the very best; in life, not just this phase of your life. If you think the mil is for you, go for it. Maybe travel a little first??? Don't let the money mess with your head, that's kiddie land. Just go to France to work a bit. Ask around, see what people say and think. Go visit the Legion and the 'regulars'... Still think you'll stay for five years? Then go for it!

I'm not impressed with your physicality (is that how they say it French??). Bring the times down, run a ten in 40, five in 18. Pull ups and pumps need work too... How is your Luc Leger? They place a lot of importance on this, and it is not a joke. I'm not poking at you, I'm being real. You need to work on this.

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah, go visit family in France and make some connections there. Learn to ask good questions and think very carefully about their answers. The world is wide open to you and you have lots of time, explore...

What does the term 'Hippie' mean to you? How long have you been there? What other countries have you been to?

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK.

I had a friend in the Marine Corps he did a tour as a Marine Security Guard (Embassy Duty) his second tour, called a hardship tour or post, he was stationed in La Paz. Gene said it was a blast and far better the Bonn Germany, his first station post.