[Joining] I am interested in joining the French Foreign Legion

jackspade

Home Country
United States
Hi, I am 22 years old, American. I am 6'4 205 pounds. My life has been going terribly, my mom passing, I have been homeless, and living from family member to family member, working minimum wage jobs. I am not in school, and dont see my future getting better, that is until I read about the French Foreign Legion last November 2015. I meet all the qualifications too join except pullups. Since November I shed almost 40 pounds. i was weighing 240 now I weigh 205. I can do alot of pushups. But pullups i can only do 1 or 2. So I am not booking a ticket to France until I get the pullups down and can do at least 10 comfortably. The running and everything is perfect for me. I have been working two jobs and saving money so I can book a round trip ticket to france so customs don't have any questions, and I will try to book the return ticket as refundable, in case i dont make it in the legion, i can change my return date home. Does anybody have any tips on how to master pullups? I find the French Foreign Legion as a new start for me, I like the idea of changing my name and just being reborn, also with all the terror and bad situations going on I want to help out, and I feel that chances might be better to get in now more than ever. I am hoping to head to France by the end of august or so. I was planning on this since November last year. I havent told anybody, I just want to go and get away from everyone and just move on with my life, and this is a great opportunity to save money for five years, and to try and get my French Citizenship. Thank you guys, I always read your posts, i just made this account, and this is my first post.

Nickfury

Top Member
Ratings
62 1
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Hi, I am 22 years old, American. I am 6'4 205 pounds. My life has been going terribly, my mom passing, I have been homeless, and living from family member to family member, working minimum wage jobs. I am not in school, and dont see my future getting better, that is until I read about the French Foreign Legion last November 2015. I meet all the qualifications too join except pullups. Since November I shed almost 40 pounds. i was weighing 240 now I weigh 205. I can do alot of pushups. But pullups i can only do 1 or 2. So I am not booking a ticket to France until I get the pullups down and can do at least 10 comfortably. The running and everything is perfect for me. I have been working two jobs and saving money so I can book a round trip ticket to france so customs don't have any questions, and I will try to book the return ticket as refundable, in case i dont make it in the legion, i can change my return date home. Does anybody have any tips on how to master pull ups? I find the French Foreign Legion as a new start for me, I like the idea of changing my name and just being reborn, also with all the terror and bad situations going on I want to help out, and I feel that chances might be better to get in now more than ever. I am hoping to head to France by the end of august or so. I was planning on this since November last year. I havent told anybody, I just want to go and get away from everyone and just move on with my life, and this is a great opportunity to save money for five years, and to try and get my French Citizenship. Thank you guys, I always read your posts, i just made this account, and this is my first post.
Sounds like you are on track except for the pullups. Luckily that's a relatively easy fix.

I am close to your size, though heavier.
I also used to suck at pull ups but then got a nice tension bar at home that I put in my doorway. This makes it so much easier to practice daily and throughout the day.

Here are 3 techniques to get you up to 20 pullups in short order.

ONE: GTG
The main technique I used took me from like 3-5 pullups to 15 in like 6 weeks. It's called GTG/ Grease the Groove.
Instead of going on about it take a look at this link and especially the video on this page. It's a way of doing a low number of reps in sets throughout the day. You never go to failure and you set a "trigger"...like going outside or inside of the house, getting a drink or going to the bathroom to trigger your sets (I would often do sets during commercials or between shows or set an alarm).
Article and video together:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/01/20/get-stronger-by-greasing-the-groove/
Video by itself:
[video=youtube;k72ZK8cGmrI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k72ZK8cGmrI[/video]

TWO: Isometric holds and negatives
Just that, do a pull up, hold at the top for 10-20-30 seconds or more (increase as you can) and then lower SLOWLY doing a negative.
This only needs to be done once or twice a day. Don't over do it. Focus on GTG.
[video=youtube;qM0535LpoVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM0535LpoVs[/video]

THREE: Inverted Rows
One of my favorites. I have an adjustable Tension bar at home so I can easily move it from pullup height to inverted row height. Order it online, cost me like 15-25 bucks. So useful.
This really helps build shoulders and lats (plus work on grip and forearms) for those who have trouble with full pullups. Plus it builds lats in ways the pulls can't. You should do this no matter what, even if you are a pullup machine as there are ways to make this harder and harder and hit the muscles in various ways. You can pull to the chin, neck or chest and do holds and vary your grip or even do single arm pulls.
See the video:
[video=youtube;I3mloPDNzgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mloPDNzgU[/video]

Using these techniques daily will help you get on your way. The key with GTG and the others is never going to failure as you are training your neuromuscular system for success and strengthening the nerve pathways. Sounds odd perhaps but it works (a lot comes from the work of Pavel Tsatsouline, the famous Russian Kettlebell trainer). I used to do like 10 or more mini/micro sets of GTG a day (sets varied from 1-5 reps depending on how I felt). Vary by how you feel and take 1-2 days off a week but no more! IF you do these consistently you will make great gains.
Good luck!

alexton

Home Country
Sweden
Hello there. The advice in this thread are golden.

You didn't say if you trained at home or at a gym (indoor or outdoor). If you're training at a indoor gym you could always use a machine to do some more sets at a lower weight.
This is normaly done after the normal pullups.
The weight used doesn't have to be heavy it's mainly to get more work done and learn the range of motion better.

I've used this technique on a few friends that wanted to get fit against after gone overboard on passive lifestyle and eating.
If training without acess to a gym or outdoor/home try accelerating with your legs (not from ground but when already hanging there).
Don't overdo the acceleration as it's just a small help it as it's only used to lower the resistance of the motion, make them a bit easier. It has the same effect as using a machine with slightly lower weight.
Just to get more reps done and preferable after you've already become tired.

Helped me alot to get started. Doing 18 pullups currently.

oh. forgot to add. Losing weight helps alot but seeing as you're a tall one don't overdo it as there is a breakpoint when you will get weaker instead.

Ratings
Home Country
United Kingdom
Than God I was a wiry shortarse in the entry of 1956. Subsequently commando training under former WW2 instructors was fair but brutal and tough.The big lads could yomp (march) for miles and miles. Assault courses, speed marches, the taxing tarzan course (ropes) did not suit them. Load carries were their forte and several went to Mortars. Like us the FFL likes its men to be lean racing snakes.
Chas- Former lean, green fighting machine member. Now an Old Fart and loving it.

Most viewed threads of the week

Top Bottom